Tikka vs R700

Ok. Now I have another question....I've taken to heart whether or not I need the 6-24x50....or if the 4-16x44 would be better for me. The primary goal is hunting with possible future long range hunting/target shooting. It seems in low light....the 4x lowest power would be better than the 6x. Will the 16x be sufficient to shoot long range with? Or is the 6-24x50 still the better over all scope?

A seasoned LRH will not have any problem with the 4-16x44. This is why I recommended Burris Veracity 4-20x50 ...

OpticsPlanet.com | Hunting, Shooting & Tactical Gear currently have 10% discount for purchase over $100. Sometimes they have unannounced sales that pop ups as a chat. I got my Burris Veracity 4-20x50 fro $629.10 (#32 of http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...w-ballistic-e1-ffp-reticle-130833/index5.html) a few years ago that way along with another 10% discount.

Ok. Now I have another question....I've taken to heart whether or not I need the 6-24x50....or if the 4-16x44 would be better for me. The primary goal is hunting with possible future long range hunting/target shooting. It seems in low light....the 4x lowest power would be better than the 6x. Will the 16x be sufficient to shoot long range with? Or is the 6-24x50 still the better over all scope?

Unless most of your shots are sub-100 yards, or in a real brushy environment, the extra 2x magnification of the 6-24x50 should not be a problem. For my main lightweight deer rifle, I use a 3.5-10x50, but that particular rifle is only for 500 yards and less, although it's capable of much farther. With that being said, I normally keep my scope on 6x magnification while in the stand for any shot between 100-500, and I adjust accordingly, because I don't normally carry a rangefinder or spotter, or anything else optics-wise other than the scope on my rifle.

For a purely hunting scope for anything from 50 to 500 yards, the 4-14x would be hard to beat. For something you plan on shooting 100-1000, the 6-24x gets my vote. But I am no expert, this is all just my personal preferences.

pecco, i'm no expert but i'll try to help. i'll also assume you have access to a 3x9 scope somewhere. put out an object, deer decoy or a natural object about game sized at 100 yards. dial that scope to 6 power and try to acquire the target. repeat the test at 4 power and then be honest with yourself about the results and your likely shot opportunities. if you're only shots are beyond 200 yards, then a 6x may be most appropriate. below that the 4x will likely come in handy.

as to the original question, i'm quite fond of my 4-16 and do shoot long range but don't hunt at the distances that a 24x would be more appreciated. i do shoot target out past 800 regularly, but find my hunting situations rarely duplicate my practice. i also find most of my shots to be between 50 and 350 yards. the 4-16 works well for that and beyond. only you can say if you need more magnification at a given distance. plenty of military snipers use 10x fixed to shoot well beyond 1k.

good luck with your choice

Unless most of your shots are sub-100 yards, or in a real brushy environment, the extra 2x magnification of the 6-24x50 should not be a problem. For my main lightweight deer rifle, I use a 3.5-10x50, but that particular rifle is only for 500 yards and less, although it's capable of much farther. With that being said, I normally keep my scope on 6x magnification while in the stand for any shot between 100-500, and I adjust accordingly, because I don't normally carry a rangefinder or spotter, or anything else optics-wise other than the scope on my rifle.

For a purely hunting scope for anything from 50 to 500 yards, the 4-14x would be hard to beat. For something you plan on shooting 100-1000, the 6-24x gets my vote. But I am no expert, this is all just my personal preferences.

Bingo!! we have a winner

I have three 6-24x scopes, a 6.5-20x, a 8-32x, and a 6-18x for my scopes over 10x ( I also have two straight 10x, two 3-9x, a straight 4x eer, and a straight 6x)..... I set all my scopes that go to 16x or greater for 16x while hunting, then change magnification if I need to. If the scope will not go that far up it is set at top magnification. Why 16x and not 18x... I do not like to top out a scope as some seem to get a bit dimmer at top magnification. I could go higher on some, but I like to have a sense of range when I look through the scope and using the same magnification for all helps when I don't have time to pull out a rangefinder or the critter is too far for the rangefinder...

If you want to really keep it simple go with a straight 10x or 12x, otherwise either the 6-24x or 4-16 would work just fine.

Ok so here are a few more questions. I have a Bushnell banner scope. It is also a 6-24....the best clarity is at 12x....anything over 18x is horrible clarity and the eye relief is horrible to get right.

Is this typical of a variable scope. Or is this just a cheaper optic?
Should I expect better from the vortex?
I also noticed that sightron s3 is a little more but same power......I believe it's more of a target scope???

Ok so here are a few more questions. I have a Bushnell banner scope. It is also a 6-24....the best clarity is at 12x....anything over 18x is horrible clarity and the eye relief is horrible to get right.

I also noticed that sightron s3 is a little more but same power......I believe it's more of a target scope???

you will get better from the vortex... ditch the cheap scope caps they give you though... mine (on my 6-24x pst) were giving me a fit and adjusting the back focus for me... I was about ready to sell the scope until I realized what the issue was as it wouldn't hold focus using them.

Like Lefty said, that Vortex HS-T will be leaps and bounds better than that old Bushnell Banner scope. We're talking night & day difference.

Never owned one, but I've heard good things about the Sightron S3 scopes.

Like Lefty said, that Vortex HS-T will be leaps and bounds better than that old Bushnell Banner scope. We're talking night & day difference.

Never owned one, but I've heard good things about the Sightron S3 scopes.

The reviews are excellent everywhere I look. But if it's more of a target scope...Then I'd pass on that and stick with the vortex. As you said either one is going to be a huge upgrade.

The reviews are excellent everywhere I look. But if it's more of a target scope...Then I'd pass on that and stick with the vortex. As you said either one is going to be a huge upgrade.

I think you'll be very happy with the HS-T. Also, like Lefty said, scrap the elastic/plastic scope covers that come with it, and get some nice Butler Creek flip-ups.

If you get the 6-24x50, you'll need a size 14 (eye) and size 43 (objective).

2nd page from the bottom... Look under Viper PST 6-24x50. Same external dimensions as the HS-T 6-24x50.

http://www.butlercreek.com/media/ButlerCreek-ScopeCoverGuide.pdf

OK. I thought I'd give everyone an update on what I've decided...however I haven't pulled the trigger yet....so to speak.

Tikka T3x Stainless 7mm Mag
Performance Kit plus lug - (pad, rail, shroud, lug)
Muzzle Brake
Leupold PRWs
Vortex HS-T 6-24x50

OK. I thought I'd give everyone an update on what I've decided...however I haven't pulled the trigger yet....so to speak.

Tikka T3x Stainless 7mm Mag
Performance Kit plus lug - (pad, rail, shroud, lug)
Muzzle Brake
Leupold PRWs
Vortex HS-T 6-24x50

looks good but didn't the t3x negate the need for a new lug and shroud?

Well since I am going with a 7mm mag........they say the lug still isn't strong enough for a magnum. As for thr shroud.....it's part of the package the guy does.....

Well since I am going with a 7mm mag........they say the lug still isn't strong enough for a magnum. As for thr shroud.....it's part of the package the guy does.....

Interesting. I also thought the new T3x had a new steel lug versus the aluminum one in the T3. Is the T3x even available in the US yet? Last I heard nobody had them yet.

Edit: Here is an article from a couple days ago:
http://www.guns.com/2016/05/21/tikka-unveils-new-t3x-rifles-at-nra-annual-meeting/

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.