Tikka vs R700

Unfortunately trying one out in the real world isn't an option for me. I don't have a rifle with a brake nor do I know anyone with one. Most of the comments in regards to brakes say they increase how loud they are and require hearing protection even in a hunting situation.....I cant see that being worth the lesser recoil... however I have thought about a clamp on at least that way it is removeable if I truly don't like it.

Unfortunately trying one out in the real world isn't an option for me. I don't have a rifle with a brake nor do I know anyone with one. Most of the comments in regards to brakes say they increase how loud they are and require hearing protection even in a hunting situation.....I cant see that being worth the lesser recoil... however I have thought about a clamp on at least that way it is removeable if I truly don't like it.

lightbulbLike I said, "it boils down to personal preference".lightbulb

An effective MB not only reduces felt recoil but also reduces muzzle rise/fall allowing you to spot target impact and ease of target re-acquisition when needed.

We can only advise, you have the ultimate decision to make.

I still haven't been able to lay eyes on a T3x. Nobody around here has any in stock to look at. If you have a way of weighing it, would you mind weighing yours when you get it and post it? I know what the website says, but I'm curious if that is accurate or not, as it says the camo version weighs less than the synthetic black version for some reason. Looks like it would be more to me.

I ran across a T3 Camo S/S in 30-06 today in a local shop. Really, really liked it. Almost bought it but had to slap my hand because I've kind of got my heart set on a 270wsm. I loved the camo stock though. Hope the new T3x Camo will be available in the US.

I own a tikka superlight 7mm with a leupold 4.5x14 lr on it. Here's my 2cents worth on all your questions.

First of all the gun shoots sub 1/2 moa @100 yds with 168 berger classic handloads making mag length a non issue. I replaced the pad with a limbsaver and recoil is really not an issue, however there is a good bit of muzzle jump. I'm on the fence on whether to brake it or not due to added noise but spotting shots is near impossible as is. I have shot with brakes so I'm aware of the downside. Great factory trigger and adjustable.

I love this rifle/scope combo at 7 lbs. I made shots out to 730 yds last weekend and its a joy to shoot. I don't know that you could find a better all around set up for 1500 bucks. I will be packing mine this Nov in Montana on a elk/deer hunt.

Ok...so tikka t3x is in. Love the looks and feel for it. I have a pic attached that the gun with bipod and my viper 6.5-20 sitting on it because my base is on its way. But love the looks. Can't wait to shoot it.

I was asked about the weight.....as best I can weigh it...it come in around 6.5-7 lbs.

Attachments

• 20160818_120317.jpg
    20160818_120317.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20160818_120427.jpg
    20160818_120427.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 69
I've owned two Tikka T3s in 7mm Rem Mag for around 10 years now. They are very impressive rifles for the associated cost.

The primary negative I experienced was that the black plastic factory stock resulted in minor changes in POI over time. I think the action screw torque might have been more than the plastic stock could handle, over time? Or the factory stock just lacked the stiffness to maintain POI over time? Dunno. I got tired of fighting the rifle's slight changes in POI over time. It commonly required another tweak to the scope turrets to bring the rifle back into zero. Three months of storage in the gun room would almost certainly result in the need for a slight correction of the zero.

So I replaced the factory stock with a Manners lightweight stock as soon as they became available, and a complete bedding in Devcon. The Manners stock is a very rigid, stable stock, in comparison.

Other than this one nagging issue, I was very content with the Tikka's for backpack hunting. Perhaps the newer T3x stocks are a bit stiffer than the ones that came with my older models? You might check your POIs more religiously prior to departing on your hunts, at least until you determine how stable your rifle's POI remains over time.

Just remembered... I also replaced with bottom metal/trigger guard with an aftermarket unit, to remove all plastic material between the heads of the action screws, and the rifle action. The aftermarket trigger guard was kinda costly. I believe my trigger guard was manufactured in, and shipped from, Australia.

Back to the muzzle-brake issue...Only once have I taken an animal with a muzzle-brake(300wm) and I had Tinnitus for the next 4 months. I've since been very comfortable with the blast and recoil while hunting (the adrenaline helps a ton) without the brake. I own and recommend several Muscle Brakes on my target rifles, but for hunting (I refuse to wear ear protection when hunting) I leave the brakes at home. Just sayn.

Since it will see more use hunting....I chose no brake. So far I love the rifle setup I have. Recoil is pretty stiff. But I don't mind it. Worse case I can get a shoulder pad or something

I would try a LimbSaver slip over pad. They work very well. Plus you get the effect of the current pad with the LimbSaver over it. They will lengthen the pull length a bit but that can be good sometimes. They also protect the butt of the rifle really well and aren't some permanent thing that ends up being on the rifle even if you don't really like it. They are not expensive and you can easily get a feel for how much it helps.

Back to the muzzle-brake issue...Only once have I taken an animal with a muzzle-brake(300wm) and I had Tinnitus for the next 4 months. I've since been very comfortable with the blast and recoil while hunting (the adrenaline helps a ton) without the brake. I own and recommend several Muscle Brakes on my target rifles, but for hunting (I refuse to wear ear protection when hunting) I leave the brakes at home. Just sayn.

I used to hate muzzle brakes and refused to wear hearing protection, I now can barely make out an elk bugling because of this stupidity and I have to wear the hearing protection for all shooting or sometimes I will completely loose hearing in one ear for a couple days, I now also use muzzle brakes on everything, I can't hear a bullet land on an elk any more so I have to see the bullet hit. Shooting without hearing protection does the same damage weather a guy wants to admit it or not, adrenaline does not magically stop damage!

I used to hate muzzle brakes and refused to wear hearing protection, I now can barely make out an elk bugling because of this stupidity and I have to wear the hearing protection for all shooting or sometimes I will completely loose hearing in one ear for a couple days, I now also use muzzle brakes on everything, I can't hear a bullet land on an elk any more so I have to see the bullet hit. Shooting without hearing protection does the same damage weather a guy wants to admit it or not, adrenaline does not magically stop damage!

I agree years shooting and running power tools cause my ears to ring all of the time. I can't wait to get my suppressor

I've cut timber for the last 20 years, and never wore ear protection.
I want to be able to hear if a limb breaks out of a tree. The irony is, now I'm saying "what" more and more in coversations... I also have several braked rifles. But I do wear hearing protection. A really good pair of electronic ear muffs allow you and your partner to whisper, not the cheap one but a good 50-100$ pair..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.