Tikka vs R700

Just thought I'd give an update. I have officially ordered a tikka t3x lite stainless in 7mm mag. Having a brake and and a couple small upgrades done on it. However looks like it will be some time before I see it. As for the scope.....I didn't have the cash for the one I want.....so instead of just buying something cheaper...I am going to hold off on buying it until I can afford what I want.

I personaly would not wait for a day for a tikka rifle, or any rifle....
I was on a budget some month ago between jobs. Bougt myself a used R700 with a jewled bolt, dirt cheap, and picked up a 200 dollar mil/mil scope. Was shooting from day one....
My thought was, if the barrel on the used R700 are bad it just to change it later.

Now when the cash on the new job are one the way in, stock and trigger are on the way.

I think you'll be happy with the tikka. And once you get the scope you want, you'll be glad you waited.

Well looks like a decent deal may come my way. I can get a virtually brand new vortex 6.5-20×44mm viper with rings and bubble level ring for $350. It may not be a steal but I think it will work out very well for me.

When are you expecting delivery on the T3x? I was in one of my LGSs last week inquiring about them and the guy behind the counter didn't even know they existed and said they just got in a order of the older T3s. I may just end up doing as you did and order one sight unseen if I can get it by early fall.

I've found them in stock in a few places online, but I just hate to order one that way.

It isn't official but they are expecting it to come in within the next couple weeks. But then I'll have additional wait time for work I want done on it. Finger crossed it makes it on this coming shipment.

Pecco22, are you a veteran? If so you can save some $$$ on a decent scope from Vortex and Night Force. There are others as well.

If not a vet., you may know someone who is that might help you out.

Just a thought.

Pecco22, are you a veteran? If so you can save some $$$ on a decent scope from Vortex and Night Force. There are others as well.

If not a vet., you may know someone who is that might help you out.

Just a thought.

How does the 7mmRemMag hold up to larger game?

If you ever had watched the first TV shows of what is now long range pursuit, or when John Burns, not sure if this is correct spelling, was with these guys in the eairly days the 7mm mag took every thing pretty much in North America. The only two animals I can recall ever seeing them shoot with the 7rem was a grizz and a polar bear. John porter took a large moose at some distance with the 7mm and 180 berger. But the 7mm can get the job done really well inside 1000yards. Also the Vortex HST scope is really great for a good priced scope with a lot of features for long range. I will be running one on a 300 Ultra Mag at a later date.

Ok running this buy everyone. I have paid for and they have it st their store.....my tikka t3x. Because I went with the 7mm mag....I was going to have a break installed. But the cost and the reading I've done about how loud it will be us making me question whether or not it's worth it. Thoughts?

My personal opinion is no break. I had a model 70 in 7mm RM that I had a break installed and I sold that rifle due to the added blast and noise. That was some years ago, but I have never braked another rifle since then. I don't shoot anything bigger than a 338 Win though. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Ok running this buy everyone. I have paid for and they have it st their store.....my tikka t3x. Because I went with the 7mm mag....I was going to have a break installed. But the cost and the reading I've done about how loud it will be us making me question whether or not it's worth it. Thoughts?

I don't think it's worth it for a lightweight carry rifle that you might use for stalking or off-hand quick shots. 7mm Mags don't kick that hard. Put a slip-on Limb Saver recoil pad on it and you can shoot it all day long at the range with no problems whatsoever. The main reason for a brake is to stop some of the muzzle flip so you can better spot your own shots. Second thing is they are good for is blowing out your (or your friend's) eardrums and last I heard eardrums are very expensive to replace.

Muzzle brake is definitely NOT for everybody. It boils down to personal preference and intended use; for "me" it is worth it. A well designed and effective muzzle brake not only reduces the felt recoil (esp. on a light rifle --- weight is your friend when it comes to recoil :D) but also reduces the muzzle rise ... being able to spot target on impact is PRICELESS. :rolleyes:

Instead of going with what you have read, nothing beats real world experience ... if you have an opportunity give it a try. I'm a big fan of MBs; I'm not recoil sensitive but most of my hunting rifles now sports them and suppressor (if you can afford them and legal in your area, this is the way to go :cool:).

Around here, cost of muzzle brake installation is $100 + cost of muzzle brake (plenty of excellent MB's to choose from).

Another option is clamp on MBs like >>> Witt Machine

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.