Tikka T3 lite vs Remington 700 SPS

bicio73

Hello to all, is my first post and I'm writing from Italy. Should I buy a rifle for hunting in the mountains ( chamois,deer and wild bore). I want a rifle that can shoot up to 500 yardes and I have to decide between the Tikka T3 lite and Remington 700 SPS in 270 winchester caliber. The tikka bareel is 22" while the Remington is 24".In a long shots that can make a difference in accuracy? Thanks to all and sorry for my bad English.

Hello to all, is my first post and I'm writing from Italy. Should I buy a rifle for hunting in the mountains ( chamois,deer and wild bore). I want a rifle that can shoot up to 500 yardes and I have to decide between the Tikka T3 lite and Remington 700 SPS in 270 winchester caliber. The tikka bareel is 22" while the Remington is 24".In a long shots that can make a difference in accuracy? Thanks to all and sorry for my bad English.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to LRHunting !

Odds are the Tikka will outshoot the remington out of the box.
The 2" barrel length difference between the tikka a remington is pretty much irrelevent -imo-.
Either rifle will make a fine deer rifle so get which ever one feels the best to you.

Best of luck -Mike

The tikka will have a better barrel than the Remington. The only things the remington has over the tikka is the clip and the availability of aftermarket parts. Tikka's are very very good rifles for the money.

thanks for your suggestions today I bought A Tikka T3 Lite 270 winchester, Optilock attacks , Swarovski 6-18x50 BR reticle scope. Federal premium Nosler partition bullet 130g.
I hope is a good choice. thanks:)

my tikka will shoot half in groups or better all day at a hunderd yards ,
its a 243 .

spend another 100 euro and get a set trigger mine snaps at 6ozs .

i had a rabbit at 705 yds with it

I'm not sure what the optilock is but I just thought I'd let you know that I had some trouble with my rings that came with my 300wsm. The aluminum rings that are supplied by Tikka are not that good. You do have considerably less recoil with the 270 so that may be a non issue for you.

I am very satisfied with my T3 lite...I have shot several .5" groups at 100, 1" groups at 200 and the limited 600 yard groups are also very impressive. To say it shoots .5MOA all day every day is pushing it, but it seems to keep most in there when I do my part. Good luck with yours!

I think you made a good choice. On bullets, I would not rcommend the Partitions for long range shooting. Partitions have a soft lead point that is easily deformed and a poor BC. They would be good for ranges up to 200-300 yds, but beyond that I would recommend a different type of bullet with a poly tip. For your shooting, my choices would be...

110 gr TTSX
140 gr AB
130 gr TSX
130 gr Trophy Bonded Tip

You might try all of them and pick the most accurate. The 110 TTSX has an MV of 3400 fps which will make it a very flat trajectory out to 500 yds, but it will be on the edge of it's killing potential at 500 yds.

Here's Federals ballistic comparisons...

Federal Premium - Rifle Ballistics

Good shooting and good hunting :)

-MR

my tikka will shoot half in groups or better all day at a hunderd yards ,
its a 243 .

spend another 100 euro and get a set trigger mine snaps at 6ozs .

i had a rabbit at 705 yds with it

Tikka europe includes the set trigger for Italy:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.