Tikka T3x Vs. Browning X-Bolt 300 WSM

lgraham

Looking at finally upgrading to a new rifle and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on which 300 WSM to go with. Difference in price is not really an issue as this will be my one rifle. I currently have a Tikka T3 .270 that I am pleased with but need something with a little more punch for longer range and bigger animals (live in Alaska). I like the feel of the browning better but am hesitant to buy it knowing the Tikka will probably shoot better. Anybody out there have a X-Bolt 300 WSM to comment about? Also I'm a Lefty so these are really my only options other than a Montana Rifle Co. or Savage in the 300 WSM

Both are stainless,

Browning with 23" Barrel and 1 in 10" Twist.

Tikka with 24.4" Barrel and 1 in 11" Twist.

Any advantages or disadvantages to either? I'd like to set either one up for moderate long range shooting ~600 yards. With proper scope/loads and lots of practice down the road.

Thanks for all advise

There's some very favorable reviews of the browning x-bolts lately. I've owned a Tikka T3 and a recent production Browning X-Bolt. They both shot equally well.

Some of the X-Bolt models come with threaded barrels and brakes. I consider that a plus.

All Tikka's are built on long actions. With minor mods, you can run really long hand load's in a Tikka. You'd need a 300 Win Mag magazine and a new bolt stop (you'd have to search, I've never done it). The 1:11 twist wont stabilize the heaviest of 30 cal projectiles but at a 600 yard max, doesn't really matter.

If I were to buy a factory rifle, it would be an X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range (or similar model, maybe without the camo pattern). They're 26" barrels but they come the correct threading for things like suppressors and aftermarket muzzle brakes.

My only x bolt experience is a long range stalker 300 win mag and it's a ton of rifle for the money

My very limited experience with Browning was an X-bolt I bought for my son. It was a couple of years ago that I tried doing a few things with it and I found very few aftermarket parts for it. Could not find a trigger for it, the stock had a tacky feel to it that fell apart and had to be replaced. I could only find one type of composite stock to replace it which was quite expensive. Research whatever rifle you like to see what types of parts are available in case you want to change anything. Stocks, trigger, scope mounts, trigger spring, etc. I do have a couple of Tikkas and like the triggers as factory triggers go but the older composite stocks suck as far as I am concerned. I do have a Tikka that I changed the stock, trigger guard, and did a bed job on it. It shots ½ inch with factory ammo but the upgrades cost as much as the original rifle. I would take it any day over the Browning though!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.