Tikka T3 or the Tikka Varmint??????

Well I got out with my new (to me) Sako 75 in .308 on Sunday to Kerry.
I received the license last Tuesday and collected the gun, fitted the mounts and scope on Wednesday, and went to the range on Thursday to zero. Using Federal Fusion 150gr I was getting at best ragged holes, and worst 1" groups @100. Zeroed @175m ish to give me 1 1/2" high @100m and 1 1/2" low @220m. So 3" point blank range out to 220m.

The rifle is a Sako 75 varmint with the heavy flutted barrel that came with the laminated stock.
The stock was swopped out for the Sako synthetic stock that has been pillar bedded, other details are a threaded barrel and a custom bolt knob. I bought this gun second hand from a dealer @€800, Sako Optilok mounts and 2 sets of rings (1" + 30mm) second hand @€80, Bushnell Elite scope second hand @€180

Off to Kerry in Ireland on Sunday with Dwighet and within the first 20 minutes 2 small Sika (yearlings is that the correct term?) ran up in front of us. One stopped to look back @50m and she saw no more. The Sika took 3 steps and dropped. Again using the Federal Fusion 150gr. It's jointed and in the freezer now.

I was walking along trying to put in my ear plugs, holding my gloves and shooting sticks when they ran out ahead of us. I still think that it's like Dwighets shoot as he was here for years and said for him to take the shot. He said off you go to me. So I drop all the bits but set up the tri-sticks and get on target and bang. You can see the bullet hit just behind the shoulder.

My heart was thumping all right and I was sure I had the kill.
But when Dwighet got to where we thougth the Sika fell there was no sign of it. Quick look around and still no show. My heart dropped. We walked on just 5/6 meters more and there it was in a small shallow stream running along by the track.

Happy Clive.

So out with the knife and I did the gollock (first time for it) and I didn't do a bad job of it either.
So that was my second kill, I got my very first Sika when out with Dwighet about this time last year but now I have my own gun to use.

So I'm well pleased with the 308. I also got a Gunslinger from the US to help carry the gun and it made light work of the 8.75lb gun and scope. The scope is a Bushnell elite 3200 4-12x40 and I found it did the job well.

I must say the recoil was very little from this gun.

firstshotwiththeSako308_1nov09.jpg
firstshotwiththeSako308_21nov09.jpg

I have both in .223. My Varmint is fitted with a T8 moderator this adds just a little more weight but you get used to both .Use the Varmint for high seat and the lite for walked up stalking gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.