Tikka T3 or the Tikka Varmint??????

clivej

Hi to all, my first post on your forum.

I was looking to get a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 308 for deer stalking, my local dealer has one in stock and it feels just right.
BUT after a look through the Tikka website I see they do a Varmint stainless model but it's nearly 2lb's heavier. As i will be doing a lot of hill climbing and walking will the extra weight be to much??

And which is the better buy???

Hi Clivej.

Y got a friend that own a t3 lite in 300wsm and it a pleasure to shot.
The rifle is also very acurrate (above many factory rifle from my experience).
2 pound sound nothing like that but if you walk all day long it will make a difference. All depend on your physical shape and andurance.
The T3 lite will be a better chose in my idea. The final chose is your, either weapon will be a good hunting tool.

I have a t3 lite stainless in 300wsm and I really like it. I have never shot a varmint model. However, the lite is a vary accurate rifle out of the box and if you are going to be carrying it than the lite is a better choice imho. If you are going to do a lot of bench shooting then the varmint would be a better choice. If you are planning on making lots of quarter mile shots then the varmint is a better choice.

Hi There,
The T3 lite is a great setup and you should achieve sub MOA groups at 100yrds no problems. Have a look at a 7mm08 Rem instead of a 308, Less felt recoil and less noise and better konck down at 200rds,:):) Kiwi

I have both. The T3 lite is a 270 wsm and the varmint is a .308. With a scope and bipod it's pretty heavy. I wouldn't want to pack it around the mountains. On the other hand, the T3 lite is ideal for the back country.

Paul

just to throw a curve ball at ya, why not a T3 laminate?

Best of all of them IMO, cause I own one too:D

a little heavier than the standard T3 lite ,not much tho and a miles stiffer stock than the synthetic.

Worth considering,

either way you wont be dissapointed with a tikka, but while youre in the gun shop get or order a Limbsaver recoil pad for it in whatever caliber you deside, the standard ones are spawned from old tyres and are as hard as the hobs of hell.

Regards 300WSMMAD

How hard is it to bed a lamanate tikka stock? That recoil lug may pose an issue, or won't it?

I bought a T3 Lite for my son as his first deer rifle ( he's got a few years to go ) in .243. I put a Burris Fullfield 3x9x40 Ball. Plx. on it. It is such a sweet shooting rifle that I now have one of my own in .243 w/ Leupy 4.5x14x40 vh. ret. 30mm tube. It's a great carry gun for deer. I shoot better groups at 200 yds than most shoot at 100. No bs. I am not crazy about the stock; but for an inexpensive rifle it's hard to beat.

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.
Is the composit stock realy OK it's just I don't like the idea of minding a timber stock out in the field.
And also any comments on the shorter barrel version.

I think I will get a Tikka T3, the best price I can get a T3 lite stainless is €1100, about $1400. Ireland is an expensive palce to buy rifles.

Have the T3 in stainless in a 06 shoots good and a heavy barrel 223
took the 223 to gunsmith and trimed down the barrel lost weight still 24 inch
barrel.........

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.
Is the composit stock realy OK it's just I don't like the idea of minding a timber stock out in the field.
And also any comments on the shorter barrel version.

I think I will get a Tikka T3, the best price I can get a T3 lite stainless is €1100, about $1400. Ireland is an expensive palce to buy rifles.

Holy cow! I paid $640 for mine two years ago.

The T3 Lite is a nice gun. I have on in .243 and I love it. I liked it so much I bought a second one just like it. Its shoots very well. The synthetic stock is just fine. I would like to have one that has a higher quality fell to it but the bottom line is the gun shoot very well with it right out of the box. My hats off to Tikka. They make a good gun.

If you can find a T3 Varmint in one of the WSM chamberings (270, 7mm, or 300) - SNATCH IT UP!!! You will not regret it.

I do own a T3 Lite in 270 Win. It is a lights out shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.