Tikka T3 7mm Rem Mag

Wendog

Hey everyone. I've been a silent browser of this forum for a long time. I can kill hours a day just reading posts and learning a lot. I just recently have started searching for my max charge weight for my 7mm using H4831 and the 162gr ELD-X. I wanted to use H1000 but they were out when I was buying and now a days may be an impossible find. I have been using the Hornady 10th Edition for my data. They are listing 59.7gr as max and I should see 2800FPS. I've been increasing my charge weight by .2gr. I started around 56g and have just tested my latest loads that are up around the high end of 62gr. Sorry Don't have my data book with me. I haven't tested my latest batch but they are ranging from 63.1gr and up to 64.5gr. I've just hit 2800fps at the top of my last string, being around 62.9gr.

With all that said I have yet to see any pressure signs. primers all look pretty much the same from where I first started. Haven's had a heavy bolt lift, cases all look fine.. I feel I am safe to keep going, just looking for some input on what some other more experienced people may think/feel. Has anyone else seen similar data with that powder combo?

thanks in advance.

Hey everyone. I've been a silent browser of this forum for a long time. I can kill hours a day just reading posts and learning a lot. I just recently have started searching for my max charge weight for my 7mm using H4831 and the 162gr ELD-X. I wanted to use H1000 but they were out when I was buying and now a days may be an impossible find. I have been using the Hornady 10th Edition for my data. They are listing 59.7gr as max and I should see 2800FPS. I've been increasing my charge weight by .2gr. I started around 56g and have just tested my latest loads that are up around the high end of 62gr. Sorry Don't have my data book with me. I haven't tested my latest batch but they are ranging from 63.1gr and up to 64.5gr. I've just hit 2800fps at the top of my last string, being around 62.9gr.

With all that said I have yet to see any pressure signs. primers all look pretty much the same from where I first started. Haven's had a heavy bolt lift, cases all look fine.. I feel I am safe to keep going, just looking for some input on what some other more experienced people may think/feel. Has anyone else seen similar data with that powder combo?

thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum cousin ! Are you anywhere near Makwa?
Again welcome and enjoy.

Tommy

What's your barrel length? IMO if you haven't seen pressure signs yet you should be good to try more. As far as book velocity I wouldn't put a whole lot of wieght on it. All barrels are different and some just run faster than others. I would think you should be able to get alot more than 2800 with that combo.

What's your barrel length? IMO if you haven't seen pressure signs yet you should be good to try more. As far as book velocity I wouldn't put a whole lot of wieght on it. All barrels are different and some just run faster than others. I would think you should be able to get alot more than 2800 with that combo.
It's still the factory barrel. 24 1/3 I believe. I remember reading that the hornady manual was conservative in their loads. I'm hoping to get more out of it in terms of velocity.

Thanks for the reply.

It's still the factory barrel. 24 1/3 I believe. I remember reading that the hornady manual was conservative in their loads. I'm hoping to get more out of it in terms of velocity.

Thanks for the reply.
Not always. My 300 rum is running mid load with hornady 180's and rl25 and already running top speeds. Like mentioned earlier, all barrels are different.

My kid's rifle is a Tikka t3x in 7rem... He's running a 140 Sierra Pro hunter pushed with 68rl22 fired by a wrlm. He popped a nice mule deer doe last fall at 405 yards from sitting... I've run 175's through it also, but the 140's shoot as flat in a 7rem and recoil a bit less.

Not always. My 300 rum is running mid load with hornady 180's and rl25 and already running top speeds. Like mentioned earlier, all barrels are different.

My kid's rifle is a Tikka t3x in 7rem... He's running a 140 Sierra Pro hunter pushed with 68rl22 fired by a wrlm. He popped a nice mule deer doe last fall at 405 yards from sitting... I've run 175's through it also, but the 140's shoot as flat in a 7rem and recoil a bit less.
That's a pretty good shot. I can't wait until my boy is old enough to get out there. My girls after that hopefully.

I haven't ran those bullets before but I run 168g to 3000fps with 65g of H4831 with no issues and that isn't over book for charge. I do have a 26" barrel though.
That sounds like a pretty solid load. I was thinking of trying the 168gr as well.. once I get a decent load worked up with the eld's I might play with something else

thanks in advance.
That's why I sold my 7mm mag. last year. I chronographed my loads and was kinda disappointed. I wasn't doing much better than a. 270 Win. Maybe I'll get another one with a 26 " barrel and see what that gets me. Maybe the Weatherby ? You seem to be getting about what I was getting too. There are a few better powders now to experiment with if I or you can find them.

That sounds like a pretty solid load. I was thinking of trying the 168gr as well.. once I get a decent load worked up with the eld's I might play with something else
If you can check a couple more resources for data within same weight of bullet you'll find most all will have different min/max charges. I'm not trying to steer you wrong but 59xx just sounds REALLY low compared to others I've looked at. I really think you should be able to get 3k ish even with 24" barrel. Are you using mag primers?

If you can check a couple more resources for data within same weight of bullet you'll find most all will have different min/max charges. I'm not trying to steer you wrong but 59xx just sounds REALLY low compared to others I've looked at. I really think you should be able to get 3k ish even with 24" barrel. Are you using mag primers?
CCI 250 large rifle mag primers

That's why I sold my 7mm mag. last year. I chronographed my loads and was kinda disappointed. I wasn't doing much better than a. 270 Win. Maybe I'll get another one with a 26 " barrel and see what that gets me. Maybe the Weatherby ? You seem to be getting about what I was getting too. There are a few better powders now to experiment with if I or you can find them.
I'm planning on putting a 26 inch ibi barrel on it eventually. I havent put very many rounds through it as of yet. Hoping to get the count up and then change. For the most part it's a safe queen until closer to fall. Hopefully that will change with some good reloads and the steel targets I purchased đź‘Ť

Good deal on the primers. Mine is a remington with factory stock barrel also. At 50-75 rounds or so down the pipe mine gained about 50fps. From what I've learned here that's about normal though each barrel may vary some on the round count to break in. Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forum. I've been through Saskatoon while chasing waterfowl some years back lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.