Tikka 7mm T3 Throat Length

1911Fan

Working up some elk loads for my Tikka 7mm Rem Mag and trying to use Berger 168 VLD. My Tikka has extremely long throat, about the shortest I can get the jump is .330", and the cartridges just barely fit the magazine. Using 64.5gn H4831SC, groups 1 1/2-2" trying for better. Any advice?

Yes switch to a tangent or hybrid bullet. They are usually more jump tolerant. An accubond, sierra, or one of the berger hybrids.

Yes I plan to try the Berger Hybrids too. The amount of jump numbers didn't make sense so I checked a little further, think I need a new brain. Am using a Stoney Point Chamber tool and the modified case had a burr which didn't allow it to seat fully in the chamber, resized and reamed the case mouth and now fully inserts, current loads are .013 off lands, and will follow the Berger formula for VLD bullet stickout.

Thats a good place to start, but dont be afraid to jump them either you may just find it works great. People have gotten good results either way. I think seating depth relative to the lands is important for some rifle/load combos, but more often i think it has more to do with how the seating depth affects the case volume and powder burn. Bottom line is you just have to try different things and in general i have had very good success jumping bullets. In fact, i absolutely refuse to seat into the lands or jam. To me that is crazy for a hunting rifle or anyone who uses a rifle in the line of duty.
I usually start about 20 thou off, and move up or back as necessary. Id get a comfortable overall length for the magazine, that gives you some room to "grow" the overaall length so you can chase the lands as necessary as they erode.

Thanks KYpatriot for the sound advice/experience. I agree that jamming or touching lands is risky, even for target shooting, a bullet stuck in the bore is an unnecessary hassle.

My Tikka does extremely well with 67gn IMR4831 pushing 162gn Amax. H4831sc about the same but with 2 more gns. My load is about 3 gns over book but no pressure signs, work up your own load, for sure. It's consistently 1/2 moa.

Oh and I seat the bullet out to just about touching the front of the magazine.

I'm scrapping the idea of making the VLDs work in this rifle. Loaded a few of the Sierra 160Gn and less than 1' group, where a Tikka should be. Back in business finally. With the VLDs bullet jump was .130 and that just barely fit the magazine, not the best situation for hunting. I can easily get .010 and less jump with the Sierras, enough leeway to experiment.

Working up some elk loads for my Tikka 7mm Rem Mag and trying to use Berger 168 VLD. My Tikka has extremely long throat, about the shortest I can get the jump is .330", and the cartridges just barely fit the magazine. Using 64.5gn H4831SC, groups 1 1/2-2" trying for better. Any advice?
1911 fan,
The 168 HYBRID that has been suggested is our 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER bullet (#28570). This bullet has both the secant (VLD) and tangent( standard) ogives incorporated into a SAMMI length nose design that makes them very tolerant of jump and able to be used at magazine lengths. If you have the Berger manual they use the same load data as the 7mm 168 VLD bullets. Also you lose nothing in bullet performance on game or accuracy at distance . If you have any questions .Please let us know.

My first load was with Sierra 160's I kept the load the same and switched to 162gn Vmax's tightened the groups up considerably. Looking at the VLD vs the Amax and they look like the same profile other than the Amax having a red plastic tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.