6.5x284 throat length

Redbox-XP

I am currently having a 6.5x284 built and I had originally told my gunsmith I wanted a fairly long throat because I am planing on shooting bullets in the 140gr range. However I just got in some 140gr berger VLDs and realized that while the bullet it self is long the baring surface is not all that long. My fear is that there wont be enough baring surface in the neck of the case if seated out to the lands. This will be a hunting gun so I'm not looking for extreamly light neck tension or anything like that.

Has anyone ever dealt with this or with these bullets? What length throat would you recomend? I may still have time to change this.

if your using it for hunting just have him do a saami spec chamber and throat with the bergers, use a .297 or .298" neck.

I just spent some time determining that my new Savage LRH in 6.5-284 norma hits the lands at 3.190" with the Berger 140VLD. I loaded some ammo at 3.2" but it is too crappy outside to shoot. 3.158" to the lands with a Hornady 129gSST.

HTH

BTW, My loaded necked down 284 Winchester brass is .294" neck diameter.

Thanks for the replys. I called the smith today and he said the throat will be .078 so shouldnt have any problems there. If anything I'd say that may be a little short but the way everyone talks about this cartridge the lands wont stay there long anyway:D

I built mine off a Rem 700 LA and had it throated at .170 . That put the base of the bullet a little below the neck shoulder junction. It also allowed me some room to chase the lands...and you will need room to chase them!

I think .078 is way to short. you will have way to much bullet in the case. .078 sounds like a reamer to fit into a short action AKA 6.5X284 Win. The 6.5X284 Norma usually has a .150 or longer throat.

Double check my numbers, but I think you are going to want more than .078.

Just use a good lube on your cases and run them through your size die. Going from .284 to .264 is not too much for one operation. Or you can buy 6.5-284 brass.

Ok thanks
I just got 200 pieces for my 6.5-284 and need to bump the shoulders about 0.006 th
while necking down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts