Tikka T3 7mm Rem Mag

That's why I sold my 7mm mag. last year. I chronographed my loads and was kinda disappointed. I wasn't doing much better than a. 270 Win. Maybe I'll get another one with a 26 " barrel and see what that gets me. Maybe the Weatherby ? You seem to be getting about what I was getting too. There are a few better powders now to experiment with if I or you can find them.
Check out the Sherman offerings in 7mm/.284 👍🏻

Do not fall prey to Space Shuttle thinking. NASA engineers watched frost fly off the fuel tank and strike the shuttle. It wasn't designed for that to occur, but nothing bad happened, so they thought it was OK. This happened many times with no ill effect, reinforcing the belief that it was harmless. Then one day, catastrophe.

The manuals do have some margin of safety built in for most entries. Modern rifles do have a margin of safety built in. On the other side of that coin is that in the event of failure, it is your hands and your eyes on the line. I love the idea of increasing velocity with a longer barrel. I am not so big a fan of telling you it is OK to exceed published load data.

I've had good luck with Berger VLD Hunters 168gr. and 69gr. of H1000 with CCI 250 primers. .300" outside to outside group measurement at 100 yards. 2970fps. When I went to 70 grains opened up to .800". Have shot pigs in brain at 500 yards with this load. Very pleased with this powder, bullet performance.
Sounds like you definitely have a winner. If the ELD's dont shoot well that was the next bullet of choice. Either the 168gr hunter or 168gr vld.

I don't reload that particular calibre personally, however I do use the Hornady app for reloading data and I find their numbers to be quite conservative compared to other sources. So if you are exceeding their max values you may still be ok, however, I would urge caution when working towards the upper limits.

The Sierra reloading App is pretty good as an additional source of data. I use three to four different sources when developing a load, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, and the powder's manifacturers website, and make a decision based on that.

I'm with @74honker on this one, 59gr is too low. Hodgdon's website list 64.0gr as Max load for H4831 and a 162gr bullet. 59gr is below their recommended stating load.

Screenshot_20210318-225334.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.