Tikka actions

The action has a wonky flute at the front. Requires a much slimmer barrel shank or cutting some of the threads back. I've rebarreled a few. Not my first choice. Great factory rifle, there are better options for customs
My smith won't mess with them much either because he said he'd rather cut that wonky bevel on the receiver back and use a standard recoil lug...which gets into recutting the lug inlet in stock as well.

So this pretty much confirms to me that tikka is a much better option than the 700. Most of what I have seen around is that it's just a solid way for an average guy to swap thing around without alot of fuss.
To each their own, it depends what you're trying to achieve. For me, it's not a "much better option" than M700/ clones.
I'm just not a fan of the funky radius on the receiver ring and the skinnier barrel. The dovetail bolt handle is a known failure point- and you'll spend almost as much for a new bolt as you did for the receiver. Aftermarket support- doesn't come close to the M700.

Do a little Google-Fu on "Beretta USA customer service" and see what turns up...nothing but nightmares (and no CS).

I'll stick with the M700 pattern receivers.

Last edited:
I've read about the 25-284's.
Sounds like an awesome cartridge!
I do know the 6-284 is a badass but a bit more bullet sounds like the ticket!

I love Tikkas. I cut about .110" off the front of the action to remove the radius and use 1.200" shank barrels. I still use the factory recoil lug. I have 3 of them, up to including a 284 Shehane, which I use a modified Hells Canyon short may magazine with.

People want to fix **** that's not broken, the lugs work fine on sako trgs in conditions harsher than most civs will ever see.

They are more bind resistant than most custom 700 offerings and cycle fast as snot. Plus a good trigger from the factory. I like them.

Biggest problem is they employee the hulk to put the barrels on them. I've got one in a vise now beating on it whenever I get the chance. It'll come off eventually

Last edited:
People want to fix **** that's not broken, the lugs work fine on sako trgs in conditions harsher than most civs will ever see.

They are more bind resistant than most custom 700 offerings and cycle fast as snot. Plus a good trigger from the factory. I like them

Biggest problem is they employee the hill to put the barrels on them. I've got one in a vise now beating on it whenever I get the chance. It'll come off eventually
I picked up a T3x 270 last fall and recently tried to remove the barrel. Kroiled for several days with a few whacks of a nylon tipped hammer in between.
Put barrel in a vice and used a rear entry action wrench. Didn't budge.
Put a "cheeter" pipe and put some *** in it.
Snapped the flats clean off the action wrench! They had an advertised breaking strength of 250 ft/lbs!
I guess not I'll need to get a relief cut job.😩

I picked up a T3x 270 last fall and recently tried to remove the barrel. Kroiled for several days with a few whacks of a nylon tipped hammer in between.
Put barrel in a vice and used a rear entry action wrench. Didn't budge.
Put a "cheeter" pipe and put some *** in it.
Snapped the flats clean off the action wrench! They had an advertised breaking strength of 250 ft/lbs!
I guess not I'll need to get a relief cut job.😩
Yeah inside action wrench is not gonna do it. External is needed, like a wheeler 1 or 2 flip the plate over and tikkas has flats left right and up down at the front of the action.

Yeah inside action wrench is not gonna do it. External is needed, like a wheeler 1 or 2 flip the plate over and tikkas has flats left right and up down at the front of the action.
Ok. I have the wheeler wrench for Remington.

Would I have to buy another wheeler action wrench for Tikka?