Tikka actions

cmor_15

Wondering if tikkas are as good as I think they are? Is it true that all tikkas are the same length actions and just need to change a bolt stop. Say I'm have a 243 win and wanted to rebarrel to a 284 win. Would this be a good idea?

All true. Add new bolt face (whole bolt) for different size cartridges.

To go 243 to 284 you would possibly need a different magazine due to the larger case. But that's IF you want to run it as a SA.

To run as a LA (most would say do this I believe) you'd just need a new bolt stop. $50 and you can be all setup. No smith needed.

Can use same bolt in that case.

I'm building a 7wsm right now and if I didn't have brass, dies, etc for that I'd go the 284 route for sure. It's appealing loaded long in a tikka.

Last edited:
So this pretty much confirms to me that tikka is a much better option than the 700. Most of what I have seen around is that it's just a solid way for an average guy to swap thing around without alot of fuss.

It is.
My other hunting 284 is on a Rem 700 and the smith barely cleaned...basically smoothed the receiver face only and chambered the barrel. He said it was very good.
Some require more work.
Also... I've gotten lucky a couple of times and screwed another shouldered Rem factory barrel up with the recoil lug from that particular barrel and it headspaced great.

Although machining tolerance is consistent...Tikkas have a few of their own minor issues like magazine COAL limitations and some say they show pressure signs early but I've never had that happen because I've only shot very few factory rounds out of it.

What about bedding the Tikka. The recoil lug seems kind of weird to me. Obviously it works but is it a weak point.

Some would argue (not I) that a rem700 has much better aftermarket support and that is why they could be considered better.

Everything I want can be found with tikkas. In addition I enjoy the plastic nearly weightless bottom metal of a tikka. It just works for me. And is much cheaper and much lighter than nearly all 700 options.

And I like the tikka triggers.

IMO the stockys CF stocks are best bang for the buck stock upgrade for these. Both weigh real close to 21oz for sub $500.

Last edited:
The action has a wonky flute at the front. Requires a much slimmer barrel shank or cutting some of the threads back. I've rebarreled a few. Not my first choice. Great factory rifle, there are better options for customs

Some would argue (not I) that a rem700 has much better aftermarket support and that is why they could be considered better.

Everything I want can be found with tikkas. In addition I enjoy the plastic nearly weightless bottom metal of a tikka. It just works for me. And is much cheaper and much lighter than nearly all 700 options.

And I like the tikka triggers.
I have no real issues with the lightweight plastic either.
I put a T3 in a McMillan and the lug had to be forced down into the slot with zero slack and fits great.

Recent Posts