Titanium actions

J E Custom

I have a chance to buy a titanium 700 Remington for a donor and was wondering how much lighter this action is compared to a Stainless or chrome moly 700 short action.

Only the bolt and receiver are Titanium and all other parts are on standard actions. so how much weight do you really save by going this way.

The cost is way more for the action/rifle and was just trying to justify the difference in price. Want
or availability has nothing to do with it.

I have never owned a TI action so though maybe someone could tell me what the weight savings would be (Just in those two parts).

J E CUSTOM

On my last titanium build I saved 5.5 ounces on the titanium action vs a defiance rebel. Rebel action with extra deep flutes and sheep port weighed 24 ounces with bolt. Titanium weighed 18.5. Are you sure bolt on Rem TI is titanium? Bolt on my TI action was CM.

Titanium will weigh about 55% of what steel weighs. So if the receivers are the same size and configuration, weigh a steel one and multiply that by .55 to see what a titanium version would weigh.

Steel, of the same physical size, is stronger than titanium. A piece of steel the same weight as titanium will not be as strong as titanium.

Titanium is virtually corrosion proof but you still need to coat it in this application because it will gall easily.

A couple of years ago I thought I had to have a Titanium action for a lightweight rifle. After some extensive research, I decided I didn't want one.

On my last titanium build I saved 5.5 ounces on the titanium action . Are you sure bolt on Rem TI is titanium? Bolt on my TI action was CM.

I though it was but thinking about it the firing pin, shroud and cocking piece are not so the bolt is probably not either. and if 5.5 ounces is the total weight savings, then it is defiantly not worth
3 times the cost.

I have a 44 special in titanium and it is half the weight of like pistols but it is mostly Titanium
(Probably 80 to 90%)

Thanks guys, Question answered !!!

I will pass on the action.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.