Tikka 300 wm to 6.5 prc

JMack

Have a bone stock 300 win T3x Superlite that doesn't get much use. i want to jump on the 6.5 prc train. Re-barrel or buy factory 6.5? I like tikka actions I have others just no need for the slow twist .30 cal.
if rebarrel what brand? Was thinking proof 22"? This won't be a dedicated rifle for one use it will be target and possibly hunting.

thanks jmack

Definitely rebarrel the Tikka over buying factory.
I have a 6.5 saum built on a Tikka action and it's awesome.
The PRC will cycle just fine in the 300 WM magazine.
There are a number of quality prefits available for Tikkas, including proof.
Personally if you're target shooting I'd get a criterion or shillen prefit barrel.

I saw it on a YouTube video from one of their reps during a gun show. In my opinion it would be tough not to do a 7.5 or 8 with that caliber. I'm sure they are smart enough to know what guys want from a long range caliber like that and they have always done well at building an incredible rifle. I wouldn't be surprised if a new mag wouldn't be in the works to allow for the longer oal of the high bc bullets. Best wishes

I saw it on a YouTube video from one of their reps during a gun show. In my opinion it would be tough not to do a 7.5 or 8 with that caliber. I'm sure they are smart enough to know what guys want from a long range caliber like that and they have always done well at building an incredible rifle. I wouldn't be surprised if a new mag wouldn't be in the works to allow for the longer oal of the high bc bullets. Best wishes
Interesting

I took my Tikka 7mag to a 6.5 PRC. It has been a great shooting rifle! 24" Krieger Barrel.
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG

I took my Tikka 7mag to a 6.5 PRC. It has been a great shooting rifle! 24" Krieger Barrel.View attachment 187529View attachment 187530
That's really nice. I'm torn between buying a fierce or rebarrel tikka. I didn't find anything on tikka releasing a factory 6.5 prc. I guess I could always settle for a 6.5cm I have my bases covered with other rifles in 28n, 300rum and I also have a tikka 7mm08 that is a tack driver I just don't want to wear it out by taking it to range every trip.

That's really nice. I'm torn between buying a fierce or rebarrel tikka. I didn't find anything on tikka releasing a factory 6.5 prc. I guess I could always settle for a 6.5cm I have my bases covered with other rifles in 28n, 300rum and I also have a tikka 7mm08 that is a tack driver I just don't want to wear it out by taking it to range every trip.

I just got the 6.5 PRC CT Edge from Fierce and its legit. Dead on. Highly recommend.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.