300 PRC necked to 6.5

Has anyone done a 6-300 PRC yet?

Would be an interesting albeit short lived project. Seems like the way overbore cartridges of the early 2000s are being replaced with more moderate magnums, don't see as many 30 inch barrels as we did in 2006... can't tell if it's due to suppressors or the trend towards more long range paper. Either way the 6-300 prc is gonna need a tube.

Had an acquaintance do a 6-300 wsm, at the time he had a barrel with a contour hard to bump and a smaller chamber that was cut poorly. Decision was made to clean it up with a 6-300wsm, it finished near 27 inches. At the time we had almost no mono bullets aside from Barnes and most of the heavy class 6mm pills of the time couldn't take a hot 6-284 load let alone the bigger brass.

At the time I really wanted to build one for a lighter weight packing rifle for the windy days. He settled on some Barnes bullet around 90 grains he got on a midway clearance and that saw him through the short life of the barrel. (Don't remember the exact round count as it was a varmint rifle, but it was short lived.) He's back shooting 6-284s for what it's worth. I'd like to build a 300 wsm now that we have the xm action, tougher bullets and a better selection of slow powders. But it will probably have a sub 700 round life, and a minimum of a 28 inch tube.

A 6-300 prc is going to be even more overbore. On the upside its got room to seat the really long sleek bullets. Paired with a 30+ inch tube and some of our new slow burn powders it could be a fun round for a little while, barrels are cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Would be an interesting albeit short lived project. Seems like the way overbore cartridges of the early 2000s are being replaced with more moderate magnums, don't see as many 30 inch barrels as we did in 2006... can't tell if it's due to suppressors or the trend towards more long range paper. Either way the 6-300 prc is gonna need a tube.

Had an acquaintance do a 6-300 wsm, at the time he had a barrel with a contour hard to bump and a smaller chamber that was cut poorly. Decision was made to clean it up with a 6-300wsm, it finished near 27 inches. At the time we had almost no mono bullets aside from Barnes and most of the heavy class 6mm pills of the time couldn't take a hot 6-284 load let alone the bigger brass.

At the time I really wanted to build one for a lighter weight packing rifle for the windy days. He settled on some Barnes bullet around 90 grains he got on a midway clearance and that saw him through the short life of the barrel. (Don't remember the exact round count as it was a varmint rifle, but it was short lived.) He's back shooting 6-284s for what it's worth. I'd like to build a 300 wsm now that we have the xm action, tougher bullets and a better selection of slow powders. But it will probably have a sub 700 round life, and a minimum of a 28 inch tube.

A 6-300 prc is going to be even more overbore. On the upside its got room to seat the really long sleek bullets. Paired with a 30+ inch tube and some of our new slow burn powders it could be a fun round for a little while, barrels are cheap in the grand scheme of things.

I'm just like 88gr hammer at 4k maybe?