Thread Hi-Jacking: Personal Assaults Becoming Norm?

Good thread Muddyboots. I have been watching some of these threads that give the feeling of unwelcome here at LRH. I have been learning from this site for a long time. there is still a lot to be learned here and true there is a great deal of repetition as new members start their journey down the rabbit hole. I have noticed these contentious threads do usually involve the same folks. I have interacted positively with most of them and generally learn from and enjoy their contributions. The slide has been fairly recent and was isolated to begin with, but it has spread like fire on dry wind. I see already on this thread that the bait has been cast a couple of times waiting for a bite. It is disheartening because it appears several are hoping the bait is taken. I hope that the start of this discussion will maybe end up with folks thinking about what they post, and why. Which is to say what am I adding to this conversation? Sometimes it can be difficult to see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
With the idea of self-policing, what mechanisms are most effective and universal for shutting down or otherwise ending the discussion/dispute on a problem thread without just calling in Len? Obviously it can be ignored and people can choose to not post, but inevitably someone new will come along and add to the fire or the parties going at it will continue to do so until they tire themselves out. What else does that leave?
OPs used to have the option to delete the unwanted post(s) on their thread. I sure would like to see that back and self-monitor/self-police to keep threads clean from unnecessary personal attacks or highjacking attempts.

OPs used to have the option to delete the unwanted post(s) on their thread. I sure would like to see that back and self-monitor/self-police to keep threads clean from unnecessary personal attacks or highjacking attempts.
Sounds like rules of a narcissist. I read posts of people I don't care for just for the amusement. or to refuel the dislike.

Even as we talk about it here, the personal attacks contiue thinly disguised. I treated people with respect, even when they did not deserve it. For years I fought the temptation of the ignore list, but finally gave in a couple of weeks ago. I am up to three now, but I am sure it will grow. My philosophy is, if I don't see it, I won't be tempted to respond and get in the dirt, which I unfortunately did seconds ago, but that is the last time.

I am not sure if this can be fixed or if there is even a way to do it. All i know is it would be nice to have any discussion that stays civil. about the only thing that is safe these days is the classifieds.

Even as we talk about it here, the personal attacks contiue thinly disguised. I treated people with respect, even when they did not deserve it. For years I fought the temptation of the ignore list, but finally gave in a couple of weeks ago. I am up to three now, but I am sure it will grow. My philosophy is, if I don't see it, I won't be tempted to respond and get in the dirt, which I unfortunately did seconds ago, but that is the last time.
i was watching that tread, accusing people of being drug addicts is uncalled for no matter if you agree or not but that is the norm anymore.

I am not sure if this can be fixed or if there is even a way to do it. All i know is it would be nice to have any discussion that stays civil. about the only thing that is safe these days is the classifieds.
IMO, it is too bad the classifieds are not self policing.
Certain people, certain threads are controversy bound. Some threads on here are started for the sole purpose of controversy. How many bullet threads end well?
I don't seem to let controversy get to me, and one of the most fun posts I have ever been in on any forum was on accurate shooter. Title: Are Proof carbon barrels accurate? Given the crowd and the possibilities for the answers, it was doomed from the OP. Oh, the desire to be right<ruins a lot of things, not just threads

Perhaps, but it was effective, and it was Admin/Len's rule/idea.
Oh my, orkan would be like........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................wait for it....................................................................................................................................................................................................king

Oh my, orkan would be like........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................wait for it....................................................................................................................................................................................................king
?

IMO, it is too bad the classifieds are not self policing.
Certain people, certain threads are controversy bound. Some threads on here are started for the sole purpose of controversy. How many bullet threads end well?
I don't seem to let controversy get to me, and one of the most fun posts I have ever been in on any forum was on accurate shooter. Title: Are Proof carbon barrels accurate? Given the crowd and the possibilities for the answers, it was doomed from the OP. Oh, the desire to be right<ruins a lot of things, not just threads
you cant have a bullet tread anymore, heck you cant even point out new companies or new design without the same cast of characters showing up to shut it down.
when was the last time you seen a new wildcat design posted? how about a new rifle design? maybe some ballistic testing or maybe just new info on cartridges that aint the mainstream?
you don't see that anymore because they have learned to keep quiet or just plane left and personally I don't blame them. the worst thing is we lost a lot more than we gained in the last few years

I guess the op could just use the "ignore" button.
My friend from South Dakota taught me about it.

Attachments

• A9028F56-1708-44F1-9C75-315787D80C98.jpeg
    A9028F56-1708-44F1-9C75-315787D80C98.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 41

Recent Posts