PERSONAL Leftover Military Service Gear

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
I was just looking in our linen closet and saw my OD Wool Blanket and Polyester Camo Poncho Liners. This was all from the Vietnam Era in the early 70s. I decide to go into the basement and have all my uniforms from Utilities/ (now Camo) T shirts, socks, underwear to Service A-B Dress and Full Dress Blues and everything in-between to the polish for boots. Shoes, cap visor, Brasso for brass, This was for the Marine Day wear. It was all packed up or on hangers in plastic, Even had my utilities "Starched" . Then opened a box that was not opened for over 50 years. Low and behold it had all and more. Two sets of a "FULL COMPLEMENT' of Field Combat Gear. When I was a Platoon Seargent I made sure that ALL in our Platoon got extra so we hopefully would not need anything in the field or could trade something.
When the last ship/plane we got off I would always get with the Inventory Officer/Seargent and give them a lot of items we had from overseas mission. They in return would sign off on what we had to retune and also slide us a few cases of Bourbon.
Now looking at the USMS Field Boxes that were sent to my parents when I was discharged would seem unordinary, but a FULL COMPLEMENT of Fighting gear?
F**K nothing like today this was over 50 years. Still some pretty cool stuff.
NO M-16A1 or 1911 .45., BUT a lot of magazines and extras. Flak Jackets with bullet holes, helmets.**** NO BULLETS, MOTAR, GRENADE
I love my 50+year wool OD Blanket to this day,
I could write a lot more BUT Not
If you have any experience like this please post.

Last edited: