Thoughts on savage axis vs browning abolt 3 270 win

I'm a savage man but I vote browning on this particular comparison. If going savage I really do feel the 111 is a far superior rifle with vastly better metallurgical quality and blueing. I used to have a Savage axis 223. Sold it. Don't miss it. Still have my two 111s. Not selling them.

I've seen with my own eyes, first hand, the axis I used to own begin to rust on the barrel exterior…AND IT WAS A STAINLESS MODEL. made the buyer fully aware of that in the interest of good conscience. The 111 models, and my old 99 for crying out loud, do not have this problem.

If it's between a savage axis and a browning ab3 I say browning. But the savage 111 smokes both of them. JMHO.

I am amazed that people are picking a Axis over a browning 😳
Is the browning that bad?? I have talked pretty bad about the Axis ever since they came out, two different people I know have gone through 7 of them with all kinds of problems
I know Browning used to be one of the best(no experience, just word of mouth). Jeep used to be good too, but since Fiat bought them in 2012ish they've made nothing but junk and are just carried by their previous reputation/heritage.

As far as this thread goes, people are basing opinions of the Axis off of:
-first hand experience
-value out of box
-aftermarket support

Word of mouth 10+ years ago kept me away from savage, but people these days seem to like them more which makes me think they've done the reverse of what Jeep has done

I know Browning used to be one of the best(no experience, just word of mouth). Jeep used to be good too, but since Fiat bought them in 2012ish they've made nothing but junk and are just carried by their previous reputation/heritage.

As far as this thread goes, people are basing opinions of the Axis off of:
-first hand experience
-value out of box
-aftermarket support

Word of mouth 10+ years ago kept me away from savage, but people these days seem to like them more which makes me think they've done the reverse of what Jeep has done
I agree with you on all points. 👍

My early model 223 axis with 6 lb trigger and scope on 9 power will do 3/4" @100, or better.

My newer 6.5 creedmoor on 18 power with 140 MB will average 1.09" @100 yds 5 shot groups, 6 groups. Not great, average, ok for hunting.
index.php
index.php

Last edited:
I had a customer bring a Savage Axis for ceraKote. as soon as I took it out of my blast cabinet it started flash rusting before I could even blow it off with air, much less the usual post blast acetone cleaning. I did this process three times and finally just sprayed it as quickly as I could. I worked out but horrible metallurgy. I had a Browning A-bolt II that was a really good rifle. I agree with most of the other posts that if you want a Savage, don't buy the Axis, 111 is far superior.

AB3 in 6.5 creedmoor. 3 shot groups not a true test of accuracy. I like the American Rifleman Magazine test of 5 groups of 5 for an average. With more then 1 ammo brand. I like wood. Dont like non-adjustable trigger.

Last edited:
AB3 in 6.5 creedmoor. 3 shot groups not a true test of accuracy. I like the American Rifleman Magazine test of 5 groups of 5 for an average. With more then 1 ammo brand. I like wood. Dont like non-adjustable trigger.

He better send that back, if that's a Needmoor he got ripped off 😉, nice review

Recent Posts