Thoughts on savage axis vs browning abolt 3 270 win

šŸ˜³ wow I am surprised
The AB3 from what I've read is their 'budget' line, so I assume corners were cut in places to make it 'good enough'(considering they're ~400 less than most of their lineup). I was seriously hoping I could find someone here who has had hands-on experience with one to find out just how many corners were lobbed off...

The AB3 from what I've read is their 'budget' line, so I assume corners were cut in places to make it 'good enough'(considering they're ~400 less than most of their lineup). I was seriously hoping I could find someone here who has had hands-on experience with one to find out just how many corners were lobbed off...
I would suppose that the AB3 is intended to be direct competition for the lower end Savage ( Axis II ) and Ruger American budget lines ( ?). One can say what one will concerning the Axis II, but Savage has sold a BUNCH of them.

My buddy has an Axis II, you couldn't give me that rifle. He has replaced the stock, bedded the action, adjusted the trigger, swapped out the *** rings and scope with a high quality rail and rings, and mounted a Zeiss scope on it, and the thing is still an inconsistent shooter even with hand loads. My wife shoots an AB3, easy to load for, accurate and consistent. For her rifle I got a trigger spring kit, had the barreled action Cerakoted, and mounted a VX-3 on it using Talley rings.

My buddy has an Axis II, you couldn't give me that rifle. He has replaced the stock, bedded the action, adjusted the trigger, swapped out the *** rings and scope with a high quality rail and rings, and mounted a Zeiss scope on it, and the thing is still an inconsistent shooter even with hand loads. My wife shoots an AB3, easy to load for, accurate and consistent. For her rifle I got a trigger spring kit, had the barreled action Cerakoted, and mounted a VX-3 on it using Talley rings.
That`s something you don`t see everyday. A report of an " inconsistent " ( I assume that refers to accuracy ? ) Savage rifle.

My buddy has an Axis II, you couldn't give me that rifle. He has replaced the stock, bedded the action, adjusted the trigger, swapped out the *** rings and scope with a high quality rail and rings, and mounted a Zeiss scope on it, and the thing is still an inconsistent shooter even with hand loads.
I have similar feelings for the original Axis, which the OP is looking at buying.

My daughter has one in .223. I have put in a trigger kit and polished the trigger, and it still has a horrible trigger. You WILL want to buy the $110 Timney upgrade if you get an Axis.

Last year, I took an Axis in 30-06 belonging to a coworker's husband and accurized it.
I stiffened and painted the stock, swapped scope and rings, tried a trigger kit, and eventually swapped in a Timney. For the end cost of the rifle - with my labor being free - you could buy a MUCH better rifle. Handloads helped, but it still isn't as consistent as I would like.

The Axis II has a better Accutrigger, but the rest of the rifle is the same.

I have similar feelings for the original Axis, which the OP is looking at buying.

My daughter has one in .223. I have put in a trigger kit and polished the trigger, and it still has a horrible trigger. You WILL want to buy the $110 Timney upgrade if you get an Axis.

Last year, I took an Axis in 30-06 belonging to a coworker's husband and accurized it.
I stiffened and painted the stock, swapped scope and rings, tried a trigger kit, and eventually swapped in a Timney. For the end cost of the rifle - with my labor being free - you could buy a MUCH better rifle. Handloads helped, but it still isn't as consistent as I would like.

The Axis II has a better Accutrigger, but the rest of the rifle is the same.
It turns out I'm m looking at an Axis 2, but you say it's the same sans trigger ?

Have either of shot the ABolt for groups? I'm not expecting overlapping holes, but tight is always goodšŸ˜šŸ‘

This is about as close to a side by side comparison as has been posted. These " Brand X vs. Brand Y " threads, while it`s understandable that folks post them, all suffer from the same shortcoming, a lack of OBJECTIVE, side by side comparisons. How many people own or otherwise have experience with BOTH an Axis II AND an AB3? Pretty much what you get, again understandably, is input from fans of the brands under consideration.

A minor caution for the Axis rifles with the 2 piece firing pin spring -- they are notorious for light strikes on hard primers. It won't mean anything for commercial hunting or target ammunition but if you venture into anything with harder military primers expect plentiful click/no-bang encounters. Shouldn't matter much in 270 but guys who pick up a 308 or 223 can find themselves terribly frustrated.

A minor caution for the Axis rifles with the 2 piece firing pin spring -- they are notorious for light strikes on hard primers. It won't mean anything for commercial hunting or target ammunition but if you venture into anything with harder military primers expect plentiful click/no-bang encounters. Shouldn't matter much in 270 but guys who pick up a 308 or 223 can find themselves terribly frustrated.
My buddy had this problem with his axis in 25-06 and lost confidence in it so decided to sell it.
I agree with most of the other posts that if you want a Savage, don't buy the Axis, 111 is far superior.
I would save up and purchase the 111.
I have no experience with the browning ab but I do have Xbolt's and would give you the same recommendation of saving up to purchase a Xbolt hunter or speed instead of the cheaper model.

So you decide, there are 19 positive posts about Savage, 1 negative. I'll throw in another positive. I have 3 savages in the safe and all are shooters. 1 wears a Shaw barrel, but the original shot under 3/4 inch at 100 yards.
Are all 3 axis rifles? I had a old model 110 in 243 that was a shooter but the stock was basically a 2x4. My friend's axis was no comparison to the cheap older savages in finish or accuracy.

Can not speak to AB3, but I bought my mother a Axis ii in .270 that I help her with for hunting in Wyoming. It shoots the 145 eldx Precison Hunters in tinny little groups sub moa for me trigger has been set to 2lbs (easily done on your own)., scope, rings and rail were replaced and thrown out (junk IMO).But for her she has some issues getting that accuracy, in the stock rifle form shooting fundamentals are very critical with it. It's not forgiving at all for bad form. It has got me a few times with big groups. When shooting off a bipod with factory stock is not recommended because of the flex and barrel contact lots of flyers. Just my experience. Finish on non stainless is ok will rust pretty easy in a wet environment if oil is rubbed off gun by anything like clothing. For what I payed for it really can't complain it shoots! Will definitely be replacing stock with a oryx chassis or Boyd's stock. Would I recommend it? Depends on what you want it use it for and if you like tinkering. By the time you replace stock, rings, scope and maybe barrel you could of bought a higher quality rifle. I have heard alot of good things about Tikka that they are pretty good right out of the box and really good to build on in the future if you desire.