Thoughts on External Ballistics

TheHardWay

What are you thoughts on the several external ballistics calculators that are out there?
Here is an example of one...
External Ballistics Calculator

It seems to me that it is hard to argue against the numbers that one of these things provides since math is math, and physics is physics.
On the other hand one can argue there is nothing better than the real world results of actually setting up targets and shooting at the varying distances.

I have had pretty good results using the calculated bullet drops from the above link for my 338-378, but nothing past 600 yards so far.

Personally, I feel the calculated numbers are the way to go since they are measuring the ideal conditions...ie eliminating any human error in the form of steadiness of the rifle, pulling a shot from jerking the trigger, etc.

Curious to know what other think about this subject.

Patagonia Ballistics' LoadBase 3.0 ballistics software is very accurate and provides features that the other available software do not, which helps improve the accuracy of the predicted dope - my opinion from owning LB3, and from reading the posts of others on this Forum who have owned multiple brands of ballistic software programs and end up favoring LB3. I've only read of one Forum member to date that tried LB3 and decided against sticking with it - favoring Exbal instead.

There's a butt-load of detail posted on this ballistic software program. You'll find it if you use the Search function and type in LoadBase, LB, LB3, etc...

Ballistic programs will never replace shooting a lot and observing what is going on. I use Loadbase and love it, and it has many tools that are very useful. Once you start getting past the 1000-1200 yrd mark most programs start having problems creep in but up to that point and especially up to the 800yrd mark most programs out there should make fairly accurate predictions.
The best combination is having a good ballistics program and accurate tools to feed it good info then putting that together with thousands of rounds using all the tools together!

And you can buy Loadbase right here at the LRH Gear Shop. :)

And only here can you choose to buy only the desktop, only the mobile, or both editions.

Always the very latest version, whatever that is, at the time someone reads this thread over the next 100 years. :D

well, I just ordered the program from the LRH store. I was a little unclear whether it is a downloadable program now that I purchased it, or I will receive a CD copy of it. gun)

Good choice!! There are a lot of users on LRH and all you have to do is through a question out!! Eaglet, Phorwath, and some others have really helped me out.

"Now with a special arrangement, Long Range Hunting Gear Shop is exclusively able to offer the Desktop and Mobile Editions separately at great savings for those who have no need for both modules. To learn more about the LoadBase Software go to the following link. Then come back here to make your purchase as the developer's site does not offer the individual modules. Upon your purchase I will email you the link for downloading."

It looks like you will be getting an email with the info and link to where to go and download it.

Good choice!! There are a lot of users on LRH and all you have to do is through a question out!! Eaglet, Phorwath, and some others have really helped me out.

"Now with a special arrangement, Long Range Hunting Gear Shop is exclusively able to offer the Desktop and Mobile Editions separately at great savings for those who have no need for both modules. To learn more about the LoadBase Software go to the following link. Then come back here to make your purchase as the developer's site does not offer the individual modules. Upon your purchase I will email you the link for downloading."

It looks like you will be getting an email with the info and link to where to go and download it.

Thanks man. I thought I read that somewhere on here, but couldn't find it when I went back and looked for it. Guess I must have skipped over that part.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.