Thoughts on savage axis vs browning abolt 3 270 win

archanfire

Hello all. I'm trying to choose between a Axis and a AB3 in 270. If I could get any positive/negative on either, it would help in my decision and be deeply appreciated. I'm looking for fit, finish and accuracy. I've never owned or shot either brand, but from what I've read Savage has come a long way in quality over the years and the AB3 is Browning's 'budget' line. All info appreciated; Thanks!

Assuming you`re referring to the Axis II line. In all honesty, can`t compare the two because I own and shoot neither. I DO own three Savage rifles, all of which I enjoy shooting very much. One of my Savage guns is a 110 in .223. I`ve handled an Axis II, and just my opinion, the 110 line seems more " substantial " when it comes to fit and finish. If you could possibly swing it budget wise, I`d recommend a 110. Having said that, the Axis II is probably the most common " traditional " hunting rifle seen at our local state range at zeroing time prior to deer season. The guys that shoot them seem to like them. One thing that`s highly probable is that an Axis II will be very accurate out of the box. Savage has a reputation for that. Again, won`t comment on the AB3. No experience whatsoever. May very well be a fine rifle.

Hello all. I'm trying to choose between a Axis and a AB3 in 270. If I could get any positive/negative on either, it would help in my decision and be deeply appreciated. I'm looking for fit, finish and accuracy. I've never owned or shot either brand, but from what I've read Savage has come a long way in quality over the years and the AB3 is Browning's 'budget' line. All info appreciated; Thanks!
Between the two, "I" would go with the Savage for their DIY friendliness and out-of-the-box accuracy.

just rebuilt an axis in 6.5 creed for a family member and did load development this past weekend, 5 shoots 147 ELD-M right at 3/4" with little effort. also checked my 243 axis that a friend borrows and the usual 3 shoots that cover with a nickel at 100 yds with 95gr B-Tip.
they might not be the smoothest action and they will copper up more than some other factory barrels but for cost and accuracy with a factory rifle the axis is hard to beat.

just rebuilt an axis in 6.5 creed for a family member and did load development this past weekend, 5 shoots 147 ELD-M right at 3/4" with little effort. also checked my 243 axis that a friend borrows and the usual 3 shoots that cover with a nickel at 100 yds with 95gr B-Tip.
they might not be the smoothest action and they will copper up more than some other factory barrels but for cost and accuracy with a factory rifle the axis is hard to beat.
What causes the fowling? is it the materials used or poor tolerances?

Ok I prefer the cheap axis I do the trigger job and the bolt lift kit and a stock bending job that all cost about 50 bucks to do . So if you can get the ss model from Walmart for like 350. You are at 400. Plus mounts and a scope just my 2 cents have not shot the Browning or handle

What causes the fowling? is it the materials used or poor tolerances?
it isn't the tolerances, they are not hand lapped customs they are mass produced. if they had bad tolerances they wouldn't be as accurate as they are, Savage has been one of the more accurate factory rifles for a while now and all their barrels copper up. it is just something Savage shooters learn to deal with.
in time and when finances allow there are many aftermarket barrel suppliers out there and with minimal tools changing a barrel is an easy do it yourself project.

I have a Savage Axis II in .270 and like it very much. It is accurate, light, and I like the adjustable trigger. I took off the scope, added a new rail and mounted a thermal, but it was accurate right out of the box. I also cut the barrel to 16.5" and mounted a silencer. Same accuracy. Can't beat for the cost. I did a good amount of research and enjoy the rifle.

Ok I prefer the cheap axis I do the trigger job and the bolt lift kit and a stock bending job that all cost about 50 bucks to do . So if you can get the ss model from Walmart for like 350. You are at 400. Plus mounts and a scope just my 2 cents have not shot the Browning or handle

it isn't the tolerances, they are not hand lapped customs they are mass produced. if they had bad tolerances they wouldn't be as accurate as they are, Savage has been one of the more accurate factory rifles for a while now and all their barrels copper up. it is just something Savage shooters learn to deal with.
in time and when finances allow there are many aftermarket barrel suppliers out there and with minimal tools changing a barrel is an easy do it yourself project.
OK, I wasnt sure. Once in awhile I hear/read about a firearm that experiences excessive fowling(some instances where it's like 1 out of 1,000 of the same gun), and I wasn't sure of the case in this case. Thanks for the info

Savage Axis 270 with 3x9 scope- $460.

The Browning AB3- $680 walnut stock NO scope.

Priced @ Midwayusa.
I have 2 Axis. 223 & 6.5 CM. Came with Bushnell Banner 3-9 scopes. Plastic stocks. The accuracy is good.

Savage Axis 270 with 3x9 scope- $460.

The Browning AB3- $680 walnut stock NO scope.

Priced @ Midwayusa.
I have 2 Axis. 223 & 6.5 CM. Came with Bushnell Banner 3-9 scopes. Plastic stocks. The accuracy is good.
Two different local individuals have an Axis and ab3 that can be had for ~500. I'm only getting one, so trying get some advice as I'm dabbing more into the bolt-action world. Thanks