Thoughts on Memorial Day

Ackley Man

We can never repay both the living and dead for the great gift for which that fought and so many died. Oh, how many of us have taken it so for granted. Many of us have spent most of our lives feeling that freedom was an entitlement instead of a gift. People have served and died to give us this gift. On Memorial Day we hold it in such high importance but how often in the past have we taken it for granted? The knowledge of how precious this gift is has helped me understand that these men did not serve and die in vain and become the forgotten. Only when we live under the delusion that we are somehow entitled to freedom have we broken faith with them. I have realized that freedom is only free to me because it was paid for by the lives of many. The amazing part is that they gave it to us with no expectations of anything in return. A gift that was fought for and won by those that served was given to us with no strings attached. Our only responsibility is that we protect it well so we can pass it down to our children and all future generations. The truth is that we don't have to know and remember the names of all those who served and died but rather we should hold sacred the cause for which they unselfishly served and died.

We can never repay both the living and dead for the great gift for which that fought and so many died. Oh, how many of us have taken it so for granted. Many of us have spent most of our lives feeling that freedom was an entitlement instead of a gift. People have served and died to give us this gift. On Memorial Day we hold it in such high importance but how often in the past have we taken it for granted? The knowledge of how precious this gift is has helped me understand that these men did not serve and die in vain and become the forgotten. Only when we live under the delusion that we are somehow entitled to freedom have we broken faith with them. I have realized that freedom is only free to me because it was paid for by the lives of many. The amazing part is that they gave it to us with no expectations of anything in return. A gift that was fought for and won by those that served was given to us with no strings attached. Our only responsibility is that we protect it well so we can pass it down to our children and all future generations. The truth is that we don't have to know and remember the names of all those who served and died but rather we should hold sacred the cause for which they unselfishly served and died.
Very well put. Amen.

1716818121781.jpeg

My mother's cousin Joel was a 19 year old from Elmore County, Alabama. His father was her Uncle Eddie. He was the local barber.
Joel was a sargent in the USAF, and a tailgunner on a B-29. His job if the aircraft was going down was to make sure all the other men got out before he jumped.

His aircraft was shot down over France. I have seen a newspaper article quoting a French lady who said she saw all the parachutes of the men who got out. Joel went down with the plane. He did get everyone else out, but he did not get out.

I have been to his grave site in Arlington National Cemetary.
Very sobering. He was promoted pothumously to SSgt. USAF.

There were a lot of 19 year olds that were SSgts in WWII.

Most of them dead or gravely shot up. My wife's Uncle Bob from Grand Rapids Michigan who was hit by German artillery in WWII earned the Purple Heart but was in a hospital for 4 yrs. and was permenantly disabled. He lived to be 94 but never ever worked or held a job in civilian life. He never married until his 80s.

Today, I took time to remember Joel and Bob and shed a tear for their great sacrifice.

Remember the Fallen, and those whose shoulders we stand upon.

They deserve Honor, Respect, and Remembrance.

I's sad....besides my American flag, there are only two others on my street of some 64 homes.😢
Sorry to hear that. There's a few flying on my block but not as many as I would like to see.
After going to a parade and a ceremony afterwards I do believe that there's still plenty of patriotic Americans.
Even though you are in California I think there's more patriotic people in the state other than you and the other flag flyers in your neighborhood.

There is no way we will ever be able to thank those that have served our country enough. It is sad the way we treat the very people who gave us our freedom. Especially seeing the way illegals are handed everything. How about we spend that money on out veterans and send all of the illegals back. I am ashamed of what we do for our people, yet open the checkbook to everyone else.

Soon everyone may be faced with making the choice to save this country.
Many of us have taken the oath and take that promise very seriously.
Hopefully that call never happens.