Thoughts on grouping?

What about your bipod? Are you pre stressing it? how is your follow through, are you staying on your rifle long enough? Does your rifle jump in the same direction every time? Bipods can be tricky and you must be consistent behind your rifle.
Another thing I probably need to get better on. I will take note of these next time out. I was not loading it as the bench didn't have a ridge or stop.

I'd shoot it off a good front rest or wad up a coat and I bet those groups would tighten up. Also I'd get on the ground If possible with the bipods where they don't bounce as bad Like they're probably doing off the hard bench. Seen a lot of guys struggling and even have things come loose shooting of a bench with bipods

I don't know if this has really been asked before. Has anyone had groups tighten up instead of open up when say shooting a 5 shot group? I shot these two 5 shot groups at 200Y. I know for certain that one of the higher shots was a pull by me. The last three shots for both groups were all touching. I feel like maybe it's just me settling in? I know that 200 yards isn't long range but I don't have a lot of options where I'm at. I am by no means a great long range shooter and I personally haven't shot groups as tight as the last three in each pic. I just am a little concerned that my first two for each weren't tighter. These are off a bi-pod on a bench with rear bag. 7saum with 175 elite hunters averaging 2975. I would love to hear any thoughts or possibly pointers. View attachment 210330View attachment 210331
I've alot of time with 243,264,270,3006,7mmrm. It is not unusual to get really bonded with a rifle. I had this happen with a 270 Adl. The more I shot the more i let go the tighter it got. 5 rounds 1 hole 200 yards. I did more but wont post, i dont think any one would buy it. The 3006 the next year was just little more.i think due to my love for it. A little less tight i suspect due to heavy recoil.

Ok, I'll throw out other possibilities. It appears you have 2 groups going on. That suggests maybe action screws loose, bedding or free float, parallax error or simply how you are with your bench set up.
"Secondary recoil lugs" means anything other than your recoil lug is interfering with grouping.
It could be screws, triggers, bottom metal/mag box or other things.
Check the easy stuff first then have a buddy shoot it with you.
So, if it were mine, I'd remove the stock and just start looking around for shiny or off color rubbing signs anywhere in the stock including the barrel channel. 30 minutes looking around. Check your screw holes in stock and the action to make sure those are centered visually.
Put it back together, torque it and reassess.
Next trip, look for parallax before shooting and you and your buddy shoot 2 groups after fouling.
Good luck. Your rifle has potential....

I have to thank everyone for the great responses and tips. So much shooting experience on this forum is exactly why I joined. I've been shooting, reloading and hunting since I was a young kid. However, I'm finally starting to spend more time at the bench reloading for more then a 100 yard northern Minnesota whitetail shot. I'm going to use these great tips to improve my form and habits. I've got answers to my questions and concerns. As for the rifle, it was built by Dallas Lane and verified shooting small out to 1000Y. That's why I had him build me one, narrows it down to me. I know I need to get better and learned a lot on this thread. Shooting and practicing to get better is what it's all about for me anyway. Hopefully I didn't mislead anyone as to the reason for the thread. It was for me to hear from those with way more experience then I have on the do's and don'ts of shooting at distance for accuracy. Thanks all.

I'd get another shooter in the gun and be sure it shoots before burning more components personally. Rifle may have shot well for him over certain conditions but may not like the way your shooting it. As far as support. It could be finiky.

Yep...know exactly what you're talking about....
Here is a load that went sour fast...1,2&3..kinda allover...
4th hit bullseye....then a bunch of flyers...12,13&14 back to bullseye...15 off....
This sucks.....scrubbed barrel clean....restarting full work up...again....getting to cost a lot... 0822201021a.jpg...
Oh yes...probably 1.5moa....at 400 yards....so that's 6" or so....65284 shilen barrel that usually dials in a smacks deer...and targets....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.