Thoughts on grouping?

The more I shoot the more I look at myself than the rifle I'm on. There might be something really small in ur shooting that's creating those groups
Or the barrel just likes to shoot warm. My proof is great cold bore, but they're all different

Think pieces of a story have been given, and the entire story needs to be provided.

Reading between the lines I understand the following:
1) load was worked up when rifle was built? Barrel probably gained velocity and took it out of a node. Are you now reloading to the builders "specs"? If so, something could be different. Work up load again to verify.
2) point of impacts on target are all different. High left holes, low right holes and high holes. Are you making scope adjustments or not?

Just a couple things I have thought of on lunch break.

Id look at load as the last 3 are worthless if the first 2 aren't together. Check load. Also, if you are making adjustments, verify they are taking effect to eliminate the scope.

Good luck,
Steve

I don't know if this has really been asked before. Has anyone had groups tighten up instead of open up when say shooting a 5 shot group? I shot these two 5 shot groups at 200Y. I know for certain that one of the higher shots was a pull by me. The last three shots for both groups were all touching. I feel like maybe it's just me settling in? I know that 200 yards isn't long range but I don't have a lot of options where I'm at. I am by no means a great long range shooter and I personally haven't shot groups as tight as the last three in each pic. I just am a little concerned that my first two for each weren't tighter. These are off a bi-pod on a bench with rear bag. 7saum with 175 elite hunters averaging 2975. I would love to hear any thoughts or possibly pointers. View attachment 210330View attachment 210331

2 things

1 is this a new or newer riflel
2 are these hand loads?

Think pieces of a story have been given, and the entire story needs to be provided.

Reading between the lines I understand the following:
1) load was worked up when rifle was built? Barrel probably gained velocity and took it out of a node. Are you now reloading to the builders "specs"? If so, something could be different. Work up load again to verify.
2) point of impacts on target are all different. High left holes, low right holes and high holes. Are you making scope adjustments or not?

Just a couple things I have thought of on lunch break.

Id look at load as the last 3 are worthless if the first 2 aren't together. Check load. Also, if you are making adjustments, verify they are taking effect to eliminate the scope.

Good luck,
Steve

The load was worked up and verified out to 1000y. It did speed up and I reduced load by 1 gn. I'm getting the same speed as what was developed. I did make scope adjustments as can be seen on the target. I really appreciate all the comments. I will try these pointers out on my next outing. I still feel it's mostly me and was looking for ideas to make me a better shooter as well.
One other thing that just popped in my mind, this is once fired brass not virgin. I neck sized only for .002 tension. I didn't bump the shoulders back. I had some rounds that were definitely harder to close then others that felt like virgin brass. I'm not experienced enough on shoulder bumping to know if that will cause this also? Just a thought I had.

Since it seems your first 2 shots are going high and unpredicted left and right , I wonder if you have the rear sling stud sitting on the back bag. As you shoot the first 2 shots, The stud is settling into the bag and then solid supports the butt stock for shots 3-4-5. With certain rear bags I have used, The rifle shoots better if I pull the @#$& stud out of the stock and put it in my pocket.

What about your bipod? Are you pre stressing it? how is your follow through, are you staying on your rifle long enough? Does your rifle jump in the same direction every time? Bipods can be tricky and you must be consistent behind your rifle.

Since it seems your first 2 shots are going high and unpredicted left and right , I wonder if you have the rear sling stud sitting on the back bag. As you shoot the first 2 shots, The stud is settling into the bag and then solid supports the butt stock for shots 3-4-5. With certain rear bags I have used, The rifle shoots better if I pull the @#$& stud out of the stock and put it in my pocket.
Thanks, I've heard that now a few times and will remember that for my other rifles as I haven't heard of that issue before. But, no stud. It has flush cups.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.