Thoughts on eastern coyote

Well, I'd love to read a genetic result (report), labeling markers...etc, etc. The pbs program was very good I thought. I agree, was hoping there would be more on the DNA and such, but was still good. And some great footage. A little disappointed in my sources from back in the day on the whole genetics DNA evidence. Idk, obviously something happened at one time. My two favorite parts were the skull comparison and the cat sitting in the window watching the coyote eat it's food..haha. Very funny. All I can say is the first one I caught, I could tell 100 yards away it was different. The paws, legs and snout...different. And some of them sound VERY different to me. Very low sounding.

Thanks for the video, was a great watch, I really enjoyed it.

The other links too. I think the Wikipedia is more reminiscent to what I was told.

About 15 years ago, along with turkeys, coyotes began appearing in rural Massachusetts as frequently as cottontails. Never saw one living here my first 15 years. Having hunted and shot them extensively out west, they are generally darker and about 20% larger than the western counterparts. I have had them within 10 yards while deer hunting, and have called in a few but haven't connected yet. Once called in and shot at, your done with him for the season. I have been after a big guy that's been living behind my daughters house for a few years. I dnt know if they are a wolf/coyote hybrid but many out here believe that. They sure look like it.

Good read Doug. Lots of good hard data there. I will say one thing. From what I have seen the coyotes here are far more cunning and sharp than out west. It is EXTREMELY hard to call them in here. I have called in a few but it's just a couple a year usually. Definitely don't need both hands to add up a years take. And there is plenty around. At night when they get going it sounds like you can hear a 15 or more sometimes.

Couldn't agree more. I live only about 35 miles from Bluefield, WVA, and we are probably hunting the same strain. I've killed more while deer hunting (read accidentally) though my son has killed more at night.
A local varmint contest had to change its values because WAY more bobcats were being killed than coyotes.
A county to the south of me is paying a bounty and then a year end bonus to the person who kills the most. Of course, a trapper will win it (no disrespect intended) because they are indeed so hard to call!

Jett is absolutely correct. These hybred wolf/coyotes are popping up all over North Carolina. Not just in the 5 North eastern counties effected by the coyote hunting band. Hope the Federal Judge makes the correct decision and forces the USFW to remove all the Red Wolves and Wolf/Coyote hybrids from NC. Let them spend another $35 million correcting the problem they have started.
Nat Lambeth

Jett is absolutely correct. These hybred wolf/coyotes are popping up all over North Carolina. Not just in the 5 North eastern counties effected by the coyote hunting band. Hope the Federal Judge makes the correct decision and forces the USFW to remove all the Red Wolves and Wolf/Coyote hybrids from NC. Let them spend another $35 million correcting the problem they have started.
Nat Lambeth

Thank you Nat!:)

It's not possible to eradicate the 'hybrids'. There here to stay.

I killed a big one by Newport, VA. Not too far from Bluefield. Pretty area.

I got some trail cam pics of some big ones just last week. I should have posted them for you guys but I didn't think of it til now. Already erased them. The yotes here definitely don't look like western yotes.

JUST READ ABOUT THAT YESTERDAY IN PREDATOR MAG,NOT ONLY THAT THEY ALSO
SHOWED SOME THAT HAD MIXED WITH gun) DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be at all surprised that they were mixing with dogs. I was talking to a farmer friend of mine last year who raises sheep, goats, cattle and has a few donkeys and ponies. He lost seven sheep and three of his dogs to them, until his other dogs jumped on one and killed it. He after that he didn't have any more trouble. I haven't talked him yet this year.

For a while the PA Game Commission took the stand that our 'yotes are not hybrids. A few years ago I read an article by the commission in which they did a DNA study of 5 coyote's. The study concluded that our 'totes are indeed a coyote/wolf hybrid. Last December we had one in our yard. The thing was the size of a German Shepherd. My wife was amazed by it. It was a neat site at 3:30 in the morning with it standing on the snow outside of the sunroom window with the full moon shining down on it.

one from just the other day. Sure look wolfish

Attachments

• Coyote 3.jpg
    Coyote 3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.