Thoughts on 6mmppc for Coyotes

Timnterra

There is an interesting custom rifle for sale at the local cabelas. It's a Hart custom 6ppc with a mcmillan hunter stock. The barrel is a sporter contour #3or #4 22" plus a muzzle brake. The chamber is cut with a .264 neck. It seems like someone had a walking varmint rifle built to shoot the same round as their benchrest rig perhaps? The cleaning rod test yielded between an 8" and 8.5" twist. What do you 6ppc shooters think? I'm thinking this might make an awesome coyote rifle. It is very light and maneuverable it would be easy to carry etc... I've never owned or shot a 6ppc though is there anything I should know about before buying it? Could it be cut out to a no-turn neck to make things simpler? What bullets would be good for this round on coyotes?
Thanks
Tim

I have a custom Rubber Mini-30 in 6mmppc. For woodchucks and midrange coyote it is an awesome rifle. The chamber is for no turn neck. The price of brass makes me wonder if I would again chamber a semi auto in a ppc caliber....... I have not tried to convert 762x39 brass

There is an interesting custom rifle for sale at the local cabelas. It's a Hart custom 6ppc with a mcmillan hunter stock. The barrel is a sporter contour #3or #4 22" plus a muzzle brake. The chamber is cut with a .264 neck. It seems like someone had a walking varmint rifle built to shoot the same round as their benchrest rig perhaps? The cleaning rod test yielded between an 8" and 8.5" twist. What do you 6ppc shooters think? I'm thinking this might make an awesome coyote rifle. It is very light and maneuverable it would be easy to carry etc... I've never owned or shot a 6ppc though is there anything I should know about before buying it? Could it be cut out to a no-turn neck to make things simpler? What bullets would be good for this round on coyotes?
Thanks
Tim

Tim- my sako 6 ppc is my favorite coyote rifle! it is accurate and deadly. i have killed over 250 coyote and have tried several different rifles. i use a 65 grain hornady in the 6ppc. with n-133. 55 nosler, 60 sierra, and a lot of the 65-68 grain hollow points would be great. i will mike a neck . i think .262 requires turning. i pics that prove it work nicely.

My loaded rounds are .271. so it is a neck turn chamber. my sako is a 1-12 twist, most benchrest rifles are 1-14 . the 1-8 heavy krieger barrel of my 6mmbr will shoot most bullets real good. my preference for 6ppc with 28 grain of powder or so, is to use bullets that are little lighter, 55-70 . if it is a quality barrel it should shoot the lighter ones just fine. roninflag

Thanks fellas. The rifle has a hart barrel so hopefully it is a good one. I was thinking along the lines of 90-100 grain bullets because of the barrel twist. Although the ppc is not a very big case so it may profit from lighter bullets? Do you guys ever shoot Lapua scenars 90gr or Nosler custom competition 105gr or the Nosler varmint ballistic tips 55gr? Any difference in pelt damage?

Tim - with the ppc size case i prefer 55-70 grain bullets. for coyotes i use faster/lighter for caliber usually. i have a 12 twist hart barrel on a .243 it is great.

...rather than just rechamber for a no turn neck, go ahead and recut the chamber for a 6mm Grendle and gain some volume at the same time you're straightening out the neck diameter
That way youll have enough juice to push 95's at a decent pace for those "way out there" dogs....turning necks is a lot like taking out splinters. Neither is any fun and you get a sense of relief when its over.

Lots easier necking down Grendle brass than doing the dance from 220 Russian to arrive @ 6ppc , yeah? ..and you dont lose any cases to split necks/shoulders.

yep, same same.
6.5 G type S, FL die with the appropriate neck bushing ( .268) and I dont use an expander. Hornady short 6mm seater.... or a 6ppc die held up off the shell holder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.