Thoughts on eastern coyote

Have seen this one around all summer and fall both on camera and when in the woods here in SE NY state. This yote tried to stalk one of my labs a couple weeks ago. He didn't know or didn't see me standing at the top of the hill and the .45 sent him running. My guess is he's 45lb+. My Lab is 90lb and both dogs were about the same size. He now has a date with some #4 buckshot.

Attachments

• PICT0029.jpg
    PICT0029.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 58
Saw this today. Sounds like difinitive proof of a hybrid to me. I'm sure you can find it on YouTube too probably but I know its on Netflix right now. "Meet the Coy-wolf" by PBS channel. Check it out. Lots of scientific data on it.

I saw that show on Netflix last night - pretty amazing.

What was most impressive is just how good they are at being so close to people and using even nominal size trees and bushes to hide - even in suburbs.

When I lived in IA 30 years ago, we saw what we thought were dog / coyote hybrids in the fields sometimes. Getting a shot at one was - difficult, especially since I didn't own a scope then.

Coyotes are much bigger than they used to be in Kentucky, and at least in central KY are more prevalent. My guess is that there are less farmers, so less farmers shooting them. Also small game hunting like rabbit and quail and squirrel used to be very popular but not many people hunt small game around here now. So my theory is an abundance of food and less farmers has been a boon to yotes here.

Some of them are very big. Between me and my closest two neighbors we have killed yotes anywhere from 40 to 65 lbs, have killed about 9 between the three of us in the last 3 years. Most in the 40ish lb range but some much bigger. A couple, including one that was leading the local pack before we got him, were mostly black. I think they are mixing with feral dogs which is giving them the much larger size than we used to see, though I had never considered the wolf angle.
Would have been interesting to see the DNA in them. My dads neighbor down the road had a dog attacked by yotes right in his backyard, a family friend watched yotes carry away their yorkie. I killed two on two different occasions not 40 yards from the front door of my house.
They are always in packs around here, and are smart. They will attempt to draw prey out like domestic dogs or even calves by allowing a couple of them to be chased while " wingers" come in and attack from the flanks. It looks orchestrated, they are nothing like foxes or other lone hunters.
I have a picture on my cell phone of a 60ish lb male somebody remind me how to post pics here...he looks all coyote to me but sure is much bigger than they ever were when I was a kid around here. I think they have something else in them lending sone size. At any rate, we shoot em and leave them lie, they are way to many around here. Sounds like the dang Yukon around here at night.

Coyote contests are starting to become more common here in PA. last year in one county the winning coyote weighed 95 pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.