Thoughts on eastern coyote

It's really tuff where I live! I've called in a few and it was a blast but it is hard to do. I know some of the boys down the road really got after'em and killed 14 last winter. I live in the most southern point of Ohio. Sadly, I haven't had an oppurtunity to go this winter. Looks like I might get a chance this week. Going to a buddies in Kentucky where I deer hunt. I've seen good coyote sign there before.

Its a mfer. Lol. I've had a few chances. Got a few. Expect one out of ten to see just a sighting or a sign. Make sure there have been sightings from possibly a farmer. Don't move. I spent 8 hours in a ghellie in a brush pile in 86 degrees summer before last using fawn bleat. Barely moving. Another time hay bail bout an hour with female and beta male howls.

I have a little experience trapping coyotes back east. Before I headed east I poked fun at a few guys telling me how hard it was to call coyotes in Virginia. I thought ahhh, I'll show em, they don't know what they're doing. Well, I certainly had to eat some crow and was quickly humbled. Not impossible, but not an easy task, and nothing like calling out west. After a few times, I said enough of that. Spoiled I guess. Also, the first coyote I trapped out there and the next five on the same ranch was quite an experience. Had a calf complaint, put out some sets and when I showed up to check, I remember looking across the field at this coyote in my trap. I was with the land owner and I said something like , what the crap is that. It was a whopper. Weighed 49 pounds and all of those five except one weighed well into the mid to upper 40's. The smallest was 39 pounds.

There are certainly some what I would call "normal" coyotes, but there are some very different coyotes out there too. Not to mention it is not uncommon to catch a red or a black. I heard one howl behind the place I was staying one night in the Appalachia. Was the lowest guttural howl I'd ever heard, again I thought, whoa, never heard an old dog coyote sound like that before. I caught that howler a few weeks later. I didn't weigh him, but he was very big. I've been lucky enough to trap and hunt coyotes in six states, all but Virginia have been west of the Missouri River. So...to me, a portion of the coyotes I dealt with in Virginia were a different animal. Coyote/wolf hybrid? I don't know, but I do know there is something very different out there. I don't mean that in a spooky way, just saying its a different coyote.

I've been wanting to try my hand at calling in a few yotes myself.I live in West Virginia and had a really bad deer season last year, according to the land owner I was hunting on, because of the increased population of coyotes. I bought a wounded fawn call on CD but just haven't taken the time it takes to actually get out there and do it.But I did hear what sitkadeer mentioned one late night on the river bank while I was catfishing.To lowest guttural growl I'd ever heard in the woods.Funny just that afternoon I was telling my Mother that there wasn't anything in the woods that would ever run me off.I didn't leave but the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I unsnapped my kbar just in case.It must of left cause I never heard again.

sitkadeer Know what you mean....it is really tough! Darn things come from every direction and have found where they circled me or had the wind swirling and they are gone! I have killed more by accident than on purpose. But, man, are they big. My son brought one home that weighed 53 pounds!

Last edited:
I live in West Virginia and I know all to well the creatures you're talking about. I call and trap here and have killed some monsters. I don't mess with weighing them but I better a couple have approached 50 lbs. Its funny how some areas here will be heavily populated with small dogs and other spots won't have very many numbers but they are big. There is one by my house here that I have trail cam pics of and it's a monster. I'd say over 50 for sure. Was packing up from calling one evening and it howled about 300 yards away into woods. Made the hair stand up on my neck. Deep deep howl. Straight out of a werewolf movie.

I've heard more than once from several sources that the yotes here have wolf in them.

I've actually killed more here with a bow while deer hunting than I have while calling. Even killed a good size one with my longbow a couple years ago. If I can find the pic I'll put it up.

Exit hole in pic. He was quartering to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 100
Oof, 53 pounds is a pig indeed. That's awesome.

I know this will tick some guys off, but they tested some several years ago. No wolf DNA, zero. It's been a big debate for years. The debate in it of itself proves the difference in some of the coyotes. BUT, it's still a coyote, just a different coyote...............a very cool, gnarly coyote.

Shootnmathews, I noticed the pockets too. I guess a couple of the 33 pound coyotes arent going to compete for those big boy territories. Pretty cool stuff. I have only heard a low howl like that back east. I've heard a pile of em other places west. Never heard anything like you guys have out there. So cool.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.