Thoughts on eastern coyote

Oof, 53 pounds is a pig indeed. That's awesome.

I know this will tick some guys off, but they tested some several years ago. No wolf DNA, zero. It's been a big debate for years. The debate in it of itself proves the difference in some of the coyotes. BUT, it's still a coyote, just a different coyote...............a very cool, gnarly coyote.

Shootnmathews, I noticed the pockets too. I guess a couple of the 33 pound coyotes arent going to compete for those big boy territories. Pretty cool stuff. I have only heard a low howl like that back east. I've heard a pile of em other places west. Never heard anything like you guys have out there. So cool.

Take a look at this one! My son is 5'11" tall for reference.
Hope I did this attachment right!

Attachments

• coyote.jpg
    coyote.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 71
Haha, yes I'm afraid you do show your age shootinmatthews. The word dude sometimes still slips out too. Ah well, the millennials don't have anything over us.

Yup, dougscamo, that's what I remember.........lots of big ones. Yeesh, he looks huge.

That's a good size yote. Huge really.

I was looking for pictures of the last good one we killed but it's not on the iPad here. I will have to post it later. My buddy was using a 22-250. He shot first and it knocked the yote down and it got up and was running off. I popped it with my 7.62-54 and he was done. 762 cut both front legs off and left a hole about 6" in diameter through his chest. We don't keep the hides here anyways. They are just a nuisance animal that we try to keep in check

I know this will tick some guys off, but they tested some several years ago. No wolf DNA, zero. It's been a big debate for years. The debate in it of itself proves the difference in some of the coyotes. BUT, it's still a coyote, just a different coyote...............a very cool, gnarly coyote.
Saw this today. Sounds like difinitive proof of a hybrid to me. I'm sure you can find it on YouTube too probably but I know its on Netflix right now. "Meet the Coy-wolf" by PBS channel. Check it out. Lots of scientific data on it.

Thanks for the info. I'll watch it tonight. I watched the introduction a few minutes ago. Looks interesting for sure. I cant believe how clear the video is on my iPad.

Oh yeah. Love my iPad for YouTube. Mostly they are following them thru the city and such. But for a bit at the beginning the go over the skulls and physical features. Wolf and coyote and then the eastern coyote which has a skull with traits of both wolf and coyote. Very interesting. They never get into genetics or DNA which I was disappointed.

Good read Doug. Lots of good hard data there. I will say one thing. From what I have seen the coyotes here are far more cunning and sharp than out west. It is EXTREMELY hard to call them in here. I have called in a few but it's just a couple a year usually. Definitely don't need both hands to add up a years take. And there is plenty around. At night when they get going it sounds like you can hear a 15 or more sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.