The Trouble with Accuracy at the Range

Before you right-off a poor grouping hunting gun, test it for cold bore single shot ACCURACY. Put a 1" bullseye at 200yds, set your gun on preferred field rest, and hit that mark with one shot.
Work on that, no matter the gun, and see what you really have.

If your shooting skills are inconsistent, there are workarounds.
I load develop shooting free recoil, often off a Harris bipod in the dirt. This removes inconsistencies from stock pressure points. The only contact I'm personally making is a finger rest under the butt stock and finger tip on trigger. No contact with recoil pads, no cheek, no touching of the actions.
Use very light triggers(well under 1lb pull). Jewel, Anschutz, or Bix & Andy.
Load/shoot single shot, keeping ammo in your pants pocket, so that it's always the same temperature.
Mind your level. Last check before trigger pull.
Invest in a scope that should hold zero and test it to be sure. Also test for actual adjustment in inches per hundred yards(finest resolution).
If using sand bags, develop with a bag you will be using in the field. Even the slightest fill change will affect POI from your gun. Given this, a bipod is more consistent than bags for hunting -with seasonal changes.

The biggest watchout when range shooting with paper targets is that with repetition(decreasing concentration), the eye/brain subconsciously wants to place the crosshair and the target on the same visual plane.......The recipe for a sure miss!
Hi Greyfox, could you expand a bit on this thought. I want to be sure I understand as there could well be something in this for me to improve on. Thanks for offering your experience here.

Before you right-off a poor grouping hunting gun, test it for cold bore single shot ACCURACY. Put a 1" bullseye at 200yds, set your gun on preferred field rest, and hit that mark with one shot.
Work on that, no matter the gun, and see what you really have.

If your shooting skills are inconsistent, there are workarounds.
I load develop shooting free recoil, often off a Harris bipod in the dirt. This removes inconsistencies from stock pressure points. The only contact I'm personally making is a finger rest under the butt stock and finger tip on trigger. No contact with recoil pads, no cheek, no touching of the actions.
Use very light triggers(well under 1lb pull). Jewel, Anschutz, or Bix & Andy.
Load/shoot single shot, keeping ammo in your pants pocket, so that it's always the same temperature.
Mind your level. Last check before trigger pull.
Invest in a scope that should hold zero and test it to be sure. Also test for actual adjustment in inches per hundred yards(finest resolution).
If using sand bags, develop with a bag you will be using in the field. Even the slightest fill change will affect POI from your gun. Given this, a bipod is more consistent than bags for hunting -with seasonal changes.
Thanks Mikecr. What's your thinking about bipods off of a bench? I wonder sometimes about how much jump there from a bipod supported on a rigid concrete bench. I'm guessing that's why you prefer being in the dirt.

Hi Greyfox, could you expand a bit on this thought. I want to be sure I understand as there could well be something in this for me to improve on. Thanks for offering your experience here.

Sure. This an important aspect and critical to accurate shooting, however initially difficult to master and sustain. Think of the crosshairs and it's relationship to the target no differently as you would the front sight on a handgun, or open sighted rifle. The eye(s) are focused on the crosshair(front sight) to the point where the target appears to be in the background, out of focus. This does not come naturally when looking at a target through the scope. All will appear on the same plane. With practice and conditioning you can train your eye to see only that crosshair and you can be assured that accuracy will be improved. This principle applies whether shooting at a bullseye, or a game animal at any distance. I hope this helps to explain it.

What grayfox said! This is one that I struggle with....on days I'm shooting really good I'm doing it without thinking about it, but I think on a bad day, I try too hard to fix it instead if just relaxing and shooting.....I remember reading a book a sniper wrote, and his way of describing it was "focus on the cross hair, let the target blur." To the OP, I could have wrote that, you are not alone! 2 weeks ago, I finally hit the jackpot on a new .223 load.... I loaded up 15 and shot three groups, shot in the .3 to .45. I was excited, as this was great for me. I ran in and cranked out 100 for further testing. Last week I went out and every group I shot was around 1". I know it was me, too much coffee, etc. but I still went home dejected. I need to enjoy the day and remind myself that MOA is not bad for someone like me, and just be thankfull when it all comes together every once in awhile!

Interesting. When I shot competitive archery I always practiced focusing on the pin or dot in the scope. Never thought about it with a rifle scope. I will pay attention next time out.

Steve

if I want good groups = a good day at the range; I take my Remington/Krieger rifles. if I take factory rifles I know they may not do it.

Sure. This an important aspect and critical to accurate shooting, however initially difficult to master and sustain. Think of the crosshairs and it's relationship to the target no differently as you would the front sight on a handgun, or open sighted rifle. The eye(s) are focused on the crosshair(front sight) to the point where the target appears to be in the background, out of focus. This does not come naturally when looking at a target through the scope. All will appear on the same plane. With practice and conditioning you can train your eye to see only that crosshair and you can be assured that accuracy will be improved. This principle applies whether shooting at a bullseye, or a game animal at any distance. I hope this helps to explain it.

I still don't think I understand this?

I still don't think I understand this?

Perhaps a story will help. I can clearly remember saying the same thing when I was first taught this principal many years ago. Myself and an elderly fella(now I'm in the same boat!) were the only ones shooting at the range. After watching me shoot for a while he came over, introduced himself and asked me if I would like to shoot his rifle. Getting behind his rifle(Rem/308), he asked me to line up the scope up on target at 100 yards. He said to place the crosshair on the 2" dot. He then asked if the crosshair and dot were completely in focus to my eye. My answer was yes. He said to take three shots into the center of the dot. I was quite pleased with all shots just inside the dot, about 1 1/2" group. He then said let's do it again, but this time I want you to place all your visual concentration on the center of the crosshair until the dot goes out of focus. It took several tries to actually get my eyes to do it. When I figured it out he had me again take three shots into the same 2'" dot. Three shots went into a cloverleaf, probably the tightest group I had ever shot at that time! He looked at me smiling and said, "Don't ever believe that was an accident. No matter what you think you see in that scope just a few inches from your nose, that target is still 100 yards away. You need to train your eyes and brain to account for it". This was likely the most valuable shooting advice I have had in more then 5 decades of shooting. As usual, there are varied opinions on this concept, but I'm a true believer!
49CFA9D8-2C56-4CE7-848B-DB123E7E425E.jpeg

Last edited:
if I want good groups = a good day at the range; I take my Remington/Krieger rifles. if I take factory rifles I know they may not do it.
Once you embrace accuracy as the most powerful of external ballistic attributes, your perspectives of good -vs- bad will flip away from grouping.

Perhaps a story will help. I can clearly remember saying the same thing when I was first taught this principal many years ago. Myself and an elderly fella(now I'm in the same boat!) were the only ones shooting at the range. After watching me shoot for a while he came over, introduced himself and asked me if I would like to shoot his rifle. Getting behind his rifle(Rem/308), he asked me to line up the scope up on target at 100 yards. He said to place the crosshair on the 2" dot. He then asked if the crosshair and dot were completely in focus to my eye. My answer was yes. He said to take three shots into the center of the dot. I was quite pleased with all shots just inside the dot, about 1 1/2" group. He then said let's do it again, but this time I want you to place all your visual concentration on the center of the crosshair until the dot goes out of focus. It took several tries to actually get my eyes to do it. When I figured it out he had me again take three shots into the same 2'" dot. Three shots went into a cloverleaf, probably the tightest group I had ever shot at that time! He looked at me smiling and said, "Don't ever believe that was an accident. No matter what you think you see in that scope just a few inches from your nose, that target is still 100 yards away. You need to train your eyes and brain to account for it". This was likely the most valuable shooting advice I have had in more then 5 decades of shooting. As usual, there are varied opinions on this concept, but I'm a true believer!
View attachment 93550

Awesome story, thanks for sharing! How have you been able to apply this to a hunting situation? Balancing the need to pay attention to what the animal (target) is doing, it's position, waiting for the right shot etc. with focusing your eyes on the reticle?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts