Loading at the range

M107.jpg

Nice photo, man I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that.

I have some pics that are not in the public domain yet, and are too big for my scanner, so I just take pics of pics.

Camp Carrol was our base camp but I did not see it very long. Was at the Rockpile for most of the time. I remember the 175's well. They fired over our position frequently. I still remember the sound of those loose bands on the projectiles whistling as they passed over our position. Good memories and bad all wrapped into one moment of time. Glad it's over and wish it wasn't happening now for some. I pray for those who are going through it now and what many that return will have to live with in their future. For some it will not be a bed of roses. PTSD is nasty for some and others will die from it. I do not envy anyone going to war. It is never over and there are no winners. On the bright side, I'm still living and trying to enjoy it.

Catch you later my friend. ..SARGESNIPER ..SEMPER FI.

I was onboard a C130 headed to Contien just before the start of Tet in 68. Felt the plane make a wide turn, and the crew chief came back to tell us we were headed back to Chu Lai. The place had been over run! That should have been a bad omen. Later a trip to Phi Bai proved the omen to be true, and we got out of there with about thirty 50 cal holes in the C130. A few days later we were full bore into Tet, and never had time to think about the other places.

Got your email, and will try to answer tonight. Got to see the doctors this afternoon.
gary

Agreed.
I have built some reloading benches with co-ax presses and a rockchucker. The rockchucker puts the most tipping force on the bench and the co-ax puts the least. Put the rockchucker on the end of a picnic table bench and have a fat person sit on the other end.

M110shakingupdust.jpg

I am 63. I was not around when my father got the patents in the M55, but those patents got him a single bidder contract on the M107 and M110 designs. I was a little kid and I thought that all that red liquid on the ground was blood from people being shot by those big guns.

that red liquid is nothing but ATF fluid like you put in your automatic transmission. Your photo shows why you can't build an SPG off a tank platform. Even with the suspension in full lock up and the transmissions brakes in full; you can see the hull shifting backwards. I shot M110's a little bit (maybe a hundred rounds), but mostly trained on M107's. Even though the hull is the same, they are a different beast (also in serious overbore!). Might add here that the M110 was a good ride compared to the M107. The guns I trained on didn't have governors, and would do 70mph head down Ft. Sill Blvd.
gary

Nice photo, man I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that.

that's an eight inch diameter round that weighs 204lb. Had an 60 meter killing radius. The 175mm round in the M107 weighed 147lb, and shot a powder charge that was five foot seven inches long, and about twelve inches in diameter. The eight inch used TNT inside it, while the 175 used Comp B. The 175 had an 80 meter killing radius with at least 33% more shrapnel. The range was 23 miles, but if the piece was laid at a little over 1000ft above sea level, and shooting to sea level it was possible to shoot 26 or 27 miles. Barrel life was 80 rounds! Took about an hour and a half to change the barrel. Muzzle blast was extremely fierce!!! The anti personnel round was nothing but a zone three charge with no round, and looked similar to a hundred foot diameter flame thrower shot.

whats really interesting is that in Vietnam, there was a shortage of M107's up north, and also a shortage of M110's in the south. You often seen M110's that had been converted to M107's. You'd spot them by the added front travel lock. Down south you'd see M110's with the M107 travel locks still in place.
gary

that red liquid is nothing but ATF fluid like you put in your automatic transmission. Your photo shows why you can't build an SPG off a tank platform. Even with the suspension in full lock up and the transmissions brakes in full; you can see the hull shifting backwards. I shot M110's a little bit (maybe a hundred rounds), but mostly trained on M107's. Even though the hull is the same, they are a different beast (also in serious overbore!). Might add here that the M110 was a good ride compared to the M107. The guns I trained on didn't have governors, and would do 70mph head down Ft. Sill Blvd.
gary

You are the same guy that fabricated a co-ax shell holder housing that captured springs before I did.

You have got more than one surprise in you.

Got a small digital scale, hand dies and an arbor press... Fit everything I need in a tool box...which serves as my wind screen. For the few cartridges that I only have threaded dies for I have a small hand press for seating and just bring plenty of prepped brass for those.

Got a small digital scale, hand dies and an arbor press... Fit everything I need in a tool box...which serves as my wind screen. For the few cartridges that I only have threaded dies for I have a small hand press for seating and just bring plenty of prepped brass for those.

Hey Boss, was good hearing from you last night.
Who cooked or did you go out again?
I don't have an arbor press but was thinking about the lee hand job so i could resize if i wanted to.
the tool box sounds good as i have one lying around.
The WFD has completly re-done the range at Sherburne. It should be ready as i type this. Wish we
could make a day of it when you come this way again. I'll cook!
We can talk about the kit when i see you again. Hope to see you soon.
SEMPER FI ..... SARGESNIPER (LARRY)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.