Loading at the range

I have read articles about doing it. What they did was have their cases fully preped and ready to be loaded. Then they would throw the powder charges so they would have cases that just needed a bullet. That way at the range all they had to do was seat a bullet. I have started doing this and what i do is buy a bunch of cheep expanding foam ear plugs that i put in the case neck to hold the powder in. Then i just haul my press up to my range and bolt it down. It works pretty good for me. Lee makes a little hand press that would work really slick. Good luck.

I have a small compact bench I made from plans on the internet. Easy to find on google. I have all my dies on a MTM die box. And I put my powder charges on 100 ml plastic test tubes with cap and labeled. Test tubes cost about $10.00 on ebay and come with a plastic rack. I hope that helps. I already have all my brass prepped and my bullets to go to the range. I hope you can see the test tubes on the pics.

Attachments

• 20140304_195848.jpg
    20140304_195848.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20140304_195947.jpg
    20140304_195947.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 70
I load at the range most of the time I'm there, and all my gear loads into a 8"x12"x16" cigar box. I use a K&M arbor press, either a Lyman #55 or a Harrell measurer. In the box you'll see a small Pact BBK scale, K&M hand priming tool, a pair of dial calipers, trickler, a couple Lee auto prime shell holders, and a bracket to mount the measurer. There is also an aluminum plate to mount a deburr setup, and a couple other tools if needed. I carry my powder and bullets separately, and simply toss the primers in the big box.

I've been working on another setup for awhile off and on. It's a small table that was part of a mount for a slide projector. You see them every now and then at Goodwill for less than five dollars. The top is about 16" x 20", and about an inch thick. Perfect for the whole reloading setup.
gary

Reloadingincar10-28-2012tiny_zps767345dc.jpg

I drive out in the desert, set up a target and shoot at 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards.

But I start out with a chrono and work up a load until I get loose primer pockets and then back off a safety margin.

I arrive in my vehicle with a large supply of primed brass.

The vehicle is nice for driving to the target at 600 yards.

You guys have put some clever stuff together. But, as a newbie tell me what advantage is there loading at the range. Thanks.

I only do it when developing loads. It is nice so that when I hit max pressure I don't have to pull any bullets. I also dont have to make multiple trips to the range when developing the loads.

Reloadingincar10-28-2012tiny_zps767345dc.jpg

I drive out in the desert, set up a target and shoot at 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards.

But I start out with a chrono and work up a load until I get loose primer pockets and then back off a safety margin.

I arrive in my vehicle with a large supply of primed brass.

The vehicle is nice for driving to the target at 600 yards.

Clark, that is a nice setup you have. I only have a PU Truck. No camper on it to block the wind. Still, the wheels are turning. Thanks for the photo. I think the Lee hand press would work fine for me. Possibly a powder measure and digital scale would suffice also. It seems that everyone preps the brass before leaving home. So far all the info is a positive so i welcome more response from all members. We all can benefit from it. Thanks again for the input and hope to hear a lot more from the rest of the members. .... SEMPER FI ...SARGESNIPER

I load at the range most of the time I'm there, and all my gear loads into a 8"x12"x16" cigar box. I use a K&M arbor press, either a Lyman #55 or a Harrell measurer. In the box you'll see a small Pact BBK scale, K&M hand priming tool, a pair of dial calipers, trickler, a couple Lee auto prime shell holders, and a bracket to mount the measurer. There is also an aluminum plate to mount a deburr setup, and a couple other tools if needed. I carry my powder and bullets separately, and simply toss the primers in the big box.

I've been working on another setup for awhile off and on. It's a small table that was part of a mount for a slide projector. You see them every now and then at Goodwill for less than five dollars. The top is about 16" x 20", and about an inch thick. Perfect for the whole reloading setup.
gary

Thanks Gary, that would seem to fit my need also. I have an idea about a small box with a sliding plexiglass door to put digital scale in. It could be mounted permanent to the bench also.
A small bench can be made pretty cheaply also. Do not know what to do about my press yet as i have a co-ax and rock chucker. Both would be heavy for a lightweight bench. Aside from your press, any thoughts? Not many options out there. Would be nice if the RCBS team would read this and come up with a nice compact ,reliable setup just for range use. Wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for the response. If i come up with the perfect setup i'll post. ... SEMPER FI .... SARGESNIPER

Some guys have a van or other vehicle where they can work away from wind influences with an accurate scale. I'm not that well equiped so my idea was to "package" pre-measured powder charges and having prepared primed brass, a Wilson seating die, calipers, bullets, and an arbor press on hand at the range. That way I can load out of the trunk of my sedan or at the shooting bench (if the range allows that) and I don't have to bother with trying to protect the scale from wind.

You guys have put some clever stuff together. But, as a newbie tell me what advantage is there loading at the range. Thanks.
Time and money spent on return trips to the range is two that come to mind if you reload. If you do reload,you will be able to develope an accurate load right there instead of wasted components. Returning again and start the guessing game once more. It just makes sense to do it right the first time around doesn't it? Being the self proclaimed newbie,this will cometo you in yime,hopefully a lot sooner than it did for me! I'm a hard headed old Marine set in my ways.
I'm not the brightess bulb on the string but sooner or later i find my way .
SEMPER FI ... SARGESNIPER

I load on the back of a pickup truck with this set up. This slides right in to the trailer hitch reciever, tighten up the turn buckles and it gets rock solid. Press bolts right on top.
HPIM0946.jpg

This is something I put together in the basement, light , portable, and very functional. If it's windy I use a cardboard box with one side cut out around/over it.
HPIM0943.jpg

Chris

I built this to use at the range. I pre-calibrate the powder dispenser for the specific powder I want to use (get an exact micrometer reading for a weighed charge). I carry all the other stuff in a large tool box. I resize cases and do all the steps at the range. I have a second Lee Classic Turret press on the regular bench and just swap out turrets to make larger quantities of ammo once I dial in a load.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.