300 win mag trouble with accuracy

arizona1650

I purchased a Remington 700 XCR 2 in 300 win mag and wanted to make it my main hunting rifle. Out of the box I took it to the range and shot 150 rounds of 4 different factory ammunition. They where all around 180-190 grain. I never got any to group better than 2.5" which amazed me. I've owned several model 700s in 7mm and out of the box I got sub moa with Federal 160 gr Barnes Tripple Shock. I decided to measure how far off the lands the factory ammo was. I emptied a factory load and used the bullet in my OAL gauge and it showed them sitting at .165 off the lands.
I decided to reload and see if I could bring them in tight as well as installed it into a bell and carlson stock with bedding block and bedding. I took 178 gr Amax with IMR 4831 started at 68 grs and went up to 73 grs, I set the bullet .020 off the lands hoping it would bring it together. Took it out today and every group I got was really close to 2" at 100 yrds. I didn't see any change as I stepped up each grain in my loads. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The most disappointing rifle I've ever owned was an XCR 338WM. I spent so much in components I could have bought another one just like it.
If your 300WM won't shoot 75 to 76 gr Rl22 under 178 amax or 180 accubond, rebarrel it, true the action and get a good stock and trigger. IT'S HOT OUTSIDE SO WORK UP THIS LOAD SLOWLY!
I know that rifle wasn't cheap but I wish I'd have had someone told me this.

My problem is I'm so hard headed that I literally shot it out trying to make it shoot.
Thats a lot of shoulder pain and money because a SS .338 barrel lasts a while.

Since trouble with factory and reloads check base and ring screws,, torque stock screws to recommended inch-pounds,and if still problems, it may be a problem with the scope.And if that all checks out, you may have to call Remington, and have them evaluate the rifle.

The most disappointing rifle I've ever owned was an XCR 338WM. I spent so much in components I could have bought another one just like it.
If your 300WM won't shoot 75 to 76 gr Rl22 under 178 amax or 180 accubond, rebarrel it, true the action and get a good stock and trigger. IT'S HOT OUTSIDE SO WORK UP THIS LOAD SLOWLY!
I know that rifle wasn't cheap but I wish I'd have had someone told me this.

My problem is I'm so hard headed that I literally shot it out trying to make it shoot.
Thats a lot of shoulder pain and money because a SS .338 barrel lasts a while.
I will pick some Rl22 up and see what it will do. Thank!! Has anyone tried Varget with a 300 win mag? I haven't found any data online at all.

Since trouble with factory and reloads check base and ring screws,, torque stock screws to recommended inch-pounds,and if still problems, it may be a problem with the scope.And if that all checks out, you may have to call Remington, and have them evaluate the rifle.
I currently have the Badger rings and rail with a Leupold Mark 4. I will check all the torque settings and see if something is loose. Thanks!!!!

I purchased a Remington 700 XCR 2 in 300 win mag and wanted to make it my main hunting rifle. Out of the box I took it to the range and shot 150 rounds of 4 different factory ammunition. They where all around 180-190 grain. I never got any to group better than 2.5" which amazed me. I've owned several model 700s in 7mm and out of the box I got sub moa with Federal 160 gr Barnes Tripple Shock. I decided to measure how far off the lands the factory ammo was. I emptied a factory load and used the bullet in my OAL gauge and it showed them sitting at .165 off the lands.
I decided to reload and see if I could bring them in tight as well as installed it into a bell and carlson stock with bedding block and bedding. I took 178 gr Amax with IMR 4831 started at 68 grs and went up to 73 grs, I set the bullet .020 off the lands hoping it would bring it together. Took it out today and every group I got was really close to 2" at 100 yrds. I didn't see any change as I stepped up each grain in my loads. Does anyone have any recommendations?
1650, did you shoot all the 150 rounds from your new rifle on the same day?

Is this rifle bedded?
Is there fore end pressure from the stock?
Have you undone and re-torqued the action screws?
Have you thoroughly cleaned inside the action, especially the lug recesses?
Have you lapped the lugs?

I would address all of the above in steps and see which one shows any improvement. The scope bases and rings may be a problem, but when the rifle consistently shoots large groups it's normally something else, like fore end pressure or bad recoil lug bedding. If the recoil lug is causing this, test by placing electrical tape under and behind, 1 it will free float the barrel, and 2, if any will fit behind the lug, it will keep the recoil lug tight. If there is room behind the lug, the only fix is glass bedding it. When you re-torque the action screws, make sure you pull the action rearwards in the stock so the recoil lug hits the bedding.

Cheers.
gun)

Yes the rifle is bedded and in a Bell and Carson stock with bedding block. It also is bedded and free floating. I haven't lapped the lugs. I'm really nieve to this. I will research this.

1650, try all above suggestions and find someone with a bore scope to check what's going on inside.

do not try varget in 300wm!

+1 on not shooting varget in 300 win mag.

How is the first shot accuracy. Are they going to the same spot? I would check the scope and mounts. If you have another scope try it its only a few screws. Did that firearm come free floated. If not you could try a pressure point. Try to do one thing at a a time though. If you don't you will never figure out what works.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts