The problem with ammo and component supplies, some new facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an attempt to address this crime wave, the government is talking about a range of gun control measures. Never mind the catch and release of felons, known gun runners, and two years of big city encouragement to "peacefully" riot and defund the police btw. Smoke and mirror idiots.
Always blame guns and only punish law abiding gun owners to address rising crime.

What's really crazy is that it makes sense to about half the population to address it in such a way.

Nevermind the fact we have upwards of 100,000,000 legal gun owners in the country never commit a crime with one and the fact we have now upwards of 400,000,000 legally owned firearms in the country that are never used in a crime.

Over 90% of crime is committed with firearms that are swapped and traded among the criminal class. This class of folks who commit the vast majority of crimes with guns are never going to be impacted by any restrictions placed on law abiding gun owners. They don't care, at worst, all it does is increase the cost of a gun on the black market.

In this era where such things as 3-D printers are becoming ever more common the idea that it's even possible to attack crime with gun laws is asinine.

I don't care what your politics on any other issue are, it's time we put some common sense back into how we address crime in the US and that is with very harsh penalties for the people who see the rest of us as animals to be sheared and slaughtered for a profit.

I don't want to get too broad here but that should start with declaring our drug gangs to be terrorist organizations along with the cartels who supply them and put every resource we have available into destroying them. They have done and continue to do far more harm to us as a Nation and as individuals than Al Qaeda and ISIS combined.

Secure our borders and tell the countries supplying those drugs to either cut off the supply or the US Military will and then do it.

That would eliminate upwards of 90% of violent crime in our major cities.

Dry up the supply and spend what we have to as far as getting addicts clean and get them back to being productive members of society and we' won't need to have these discussions a decade from now.

Right now the trend however is to empty the prisons and replace cops with social workers and even the blind should be able to see that formula is a recipe for disaster.

Always blame guns and only punish law abiding gun owners to address rising crime.

What's really crazy is that it makes sense to about half the population to address it in such a way.

Nevermind the fact we have upwards of 100,000,000 legal gun owners in the country never commit a crime with one and the fact we have now upwards of 400,000,000 legally owned firearms in the country that are never used in a crime.

Over 90% of crime is committed with firearms that are swapped and traded among the criminal class. This class of folks who commit the vast majority of crimes with guns are never going to be impacted by any restrictions placed on law abiding gun owners. They don't care, at worst, all it does is increase the cost of a gun on the black market.

In this era where such things as 3-D printers are becoming ever more common the idea that it's even possible to attack crime with gun laws is asinine.

I don't care what your politics on any other issue are, it's time we put some common sense back into how we address crime in the US and that is with very harsh penalties for the people who see the rest of us as animals to be sheared and slaughtered for a profit.

I don't want to get too broad here but that should start with declaring our drug gangs to be terrorist organizations along with the cartels who supply them and put every resource we have available into destroying them. They have done and continue to do far more harm to us as a Nation and as individuals than Al Qaeda and ISIS combined.

Secure our borders and tell the countries supplying those drugs to either cut off the supply or the US Military will and then do it.

Dry up the supply and spend what we have to as far as getting addicts clean and get them back to being productive members of society and we' won't need to have these discussions a decade from now.

Right now the trend however is to empty the prisons and replace cops with social workers and even the blind should be able to see that formula is a recipe for disaster.
Agree completely. It's time we say no to any further restrictions. None of it matters to a criminal anyway. It helps criminals.

The $73M settlement by Remington due to mass shooting event using their Bushmaster AR is very concerning. Opening firearms manufacturers up to liability for crimes committed with their products is a significant issue. I believe the main issue involved the marketing of assault rifles to young men/boys as a way to get their "man card".

As always WildRose thoughtfully and clearly expressed the real issues we are confronting in the shooting and hunting community. Words matter, but action is imperative in maintaining our freedoms.

The $73M settlement by Remington due to mass shooting event using their Bushmaster AR is very concerning. Opening firearms manufacturers up to liability for crimes committed with their products is a significant issue. I believe the main issue involved the marketing of assault rifles to young men/boys as a way to get their "man card".

As always WildRose thoughtfully and clearly expressed the real issues we are confronting in the shooting and hunting community. Words matter, but action is imperative in maintaining our freedoms.
I agree but consider this.

In the Remington case they found and endaround the "Lawful Commerce in Firearms Act" by going after how it was advertised.

The judge should have tossed it and it should have been tossed at every level of appeal but even the SCOTUS held it up.

Our votes in November and again in two years can solve that problem by amending the law so that end around is gone.

Second, I understand why they chose to settle. They were looking at a sure loser of a case due to the politics surrounding it which would have set an awful precedent for future cases. The bean counters and lawyers figured had the case gone to court that one incident was going to end up costing them 200-500 million between this and the other suits that would have immediately followed.

Consider too that the agreed upon settlement was the Max that the Insurance companies were going to be liable for even if the case went to court and Remington lost.

Add to that the fact that Remington Arms is now under different ownership and management and they just wanted to have that case done and over with so they could move on.

I hate bringing politics into things but as I recently said politics now permeates every aspect of our lives and especially every aspect of the shooting sports so there's no avoiding it anymore.

@WildRose, thanks i appreciate your insight and your time in helping explain why we have such a shortage of components. Think it's going to take long time for shelves to fully stock as supplies will be snatched up and hoarded by folks not wanting to get caught short again and by "investors" hoping to profit.

Its going to be a different world with BRENDON still in , if in fact he does not start a war with RUSSIA. We know he lost his mind all his mayors and the hill people can't leave faster enough. Interesting to see where Hillary will end up , which cell ?????
Need to stick it out- for the time being . Agree with WildRose 100000 % Need to get out and VOTE and voice our opinions; The 1st & 2nd Admin

Last edited:
There is some good news in there, in that some of the items are starting to make it to the shelves a trickle at a time. For the next six months or so though that trickle is only going to improve slowly.

With Federal/CCI doubling primer production and the new manufacturer coming online there's at least hope on the horizon, something we really haven't had for several years now.

It's going to benefit us politically in the long term to have so many millions of new shooters and hunters entering the shooting sports but for the short term it's going to mean tighter supplies of everything from rifles to primers and of course correspondingly higher prices.

Apparently nobody in the industry was able to foresee just how big of a change was coming in shooting/hunting demographics five years ago so the entire industry was caught off guard.
Read this morning. 8 mm new shooters-firearm owners in 2020.
5 mm more in 2021.

13 mm new gun owners last 2 years.

We have an opportunity to throw a grenade into the anti gun movement in November. I hope no matter what else is going on we can mobilize the public to get out and vote "pro gun, pro ammo, pro hunting" when they are considering candidates.

Unfortunately our traditional biggest weapon the NRA is so mired in controversy right now I don't think they are going to be a big part of the solution at least until the lawsuits and court cases get resolved.

We're going to have to be more pro active as individuals than ever before to make sure we can block any new restrictions at least until there's a change in presidents.

If you want to see what the future political landscape is going to be like take a look at how Beto O'Rourke has completely flipped on 2nd Amendment issues now that he's attempting to run against our current governor.

Two years ago he was among the most outspoken extremists proposing gun bans and even confiscation of "assault weapons" whereas today he'd have you believe he was the greatest defender of the 2nd Amendment in the last century.

Be sure when considering candidates you look at their history, not just the current rhetoric. We've seen all too often that once they get into office, no matter how they run to win they will are willing to throw their constituents off a cliff once they have power and who they really are and always have been comes out.
AMEN!

We have an opportunity to throw a grenade into the anti gun movement in November. I hope no matter what else is going on we can mobilize the public to get out and vote "pro gun, pro ammo, pro hunting" when they are considering candidates.

Unfortunately our traditional biggest weapon the NRA is so mired in controversy right now I don't think they are going to be a big part of the solution at least until the lawsuits and court cases get resolved.

We're going to have to be more pro active as individuals than ever before to make sure we can block any new restrictions at least until there's a change in presidents.

If you want to see what the future political landscape is going to be like take a look at how Beto O'Rourke has completely flipped on 2nd Amendment issues now that he's attempting to run against our current governor.

Two years ago he was among the most outspoken extremists proposing gun bans and even confiscation of "assault weapons" whereas today he'd have you believe he was the greatest defender of the 2nd Amendment in the last century.

Be sure when considering candidates you look at their history, not just the current rhetoric. We've seen all too often that once they get into office, no matter how they run to win they will are willing to throw their constituents off a cliff once they have power and who they really are and always have been comes out.
Beto lies out of both sides of his mouth and when his lips move, hes lying. If he ever got elected which he wont, in Texas, he'd then flip again and try to confiscate all guns. Thats who he is! A sorry politician and a poor liar.

Not to mention Brandon has the DOJ handing out crack pipes to addicts now because its supposed to be equity????

I agree but consider this.

In the Remington case they found and endaround the "Lawful Commerce in Firearms Act" by going after how it was advertised.

The judge should have tossed it and it should have been tossed at every level of appeal but even the SCOTUS held it up.

Our votes in November and again in two years can solve that problem by amending the law so that end around is gone.

Second, I understand why they chose to settle. They were looking at a sure loser of a case due to the politics surrounding it which would have set an awful precedent for future cases. The bean counters and lawyers figured had the case gone to court that one incident was going to end up costing them 200-500 million between this and the other suits that would have immediately followed.

Consider too that the agreed upon settlement was the Max that the Insurance companies were going to be liable for even if the case went to court and Remington lost.

Add to that the fact that Remington Arms is now under different ownership and management and they just wanted to have that case done and over with so they could move on.

I hate bringing politics into things but as I recently said politics now permeates every aspect of our lives and especially every aspect of the shooting sports so there's no avoiding it anymore.
So is it Cerberus Capital Management that owns RemArms or Round Hill Capital?

One thing I can't figure out. If the ammo manufacturers can't keep up with production, then why are there numerous new calibers coming out every year? I would think it costs quite a.bit of money (and time) to retool to manufacture a new product. Doesn't make sense to me.

WildRose, first I appreciate the summary in the OP. Not surprising but still good to know.

With regards to "half the population" that you're referencing here, a large component of that would probably say something to the effect "we have to do something about these shootings". Those people are much less concerned about the collateral damage than they are "please do something". And that is the key to how law-abiding gun owners can win their hearts and minds. I will not claim to be smart enough to have a solution :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts