The problem with ammo and component supplies, some new facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got to be very pro active and that includes those of us who can reaching out to young people who show any interest at all in guns, hunting or sport shooting and mentor them to ensure the succeeding generations can all enjoy the same opportunities we have.
I totally agree with this idea, and therefore have been inviting newcomers to shoot with me or hunt on my property for the past couple of years. I hope others on here are doing something similar.

Its going to be a different world with BRENDON still in , if in fact he does not start a war with RUSSIA. We know he lost his mind all his mayors and the hill people can't leave faster enough. Interesting to see where Hillary will end up , which cell ?????
Need to stick it out- for the time being . Agree with WildRose 100000 % Need to get out and VOTE and voice our opinions; The 1st & 2nd Admin
Guys and Gals: I strongly urge you to not only vote for the conservative candidates, but also donate to their campaigns and/or work for their campaigns. We can't have even 2 more years of the Democrats controlling the House and Senate.

So is it Cerberus Capital Management that owns RemArms or Round Hill Capital?
Round Hill as I understand it bought it out in 2020. They may be a subsidiary of a larger holding company but I haven't dug in to find out.

Cerberus owned the firearms division from 2003-2020 if I'm remembering it right.

WildRose, first I appreciate the summary in the OP. Not surprising but still good to know.

With regards to "half the population" that you're referencing here, a large component of that would probably say something to the effect "we have to do something about these shootings". Those people are much less concerned about the collateral damage than they are "please do something". And that is the key to how law-abiding gun owners can win their hearts and minds. I will not claim to be smart enough to have a solution :)
Yessir. In all honesty I think most people in that camp are simply repeating what they've been told and have never looked past the headlines.

For the intellectually lazy it's the simplest answer.

Based on some discussions we've had recently today I picked up the phone and called someone I know at Vista Outdoors. One thing my career provided me was an unlimited list of contacts in the industry and once in a while I break out my black book.

We spent a little over an hour on the phone and I learned a whole, whole lot.

Some basics everyone is interested in.

As I suspected ammo sales nationwide are at record highs. Federal alone has seen a 40% increase in each of the last two years.

As I knew, when it comes to components he confirmed that yes, there's a priority list. First on that list is their own factory ammo, next comes their committed contract buyers for whom they also provide ammo. Following those are the huge vendors like Cabelas/BP, SW Midway, Brownell's and Midsouth.

The only thing that makes it to the shelves for reloading components are overruns and excess so from primers to powder to bullets reloaders are at the bottom of the pile. The one exception to that is the powders that none of their contracts or their own proprietary ammo uses but of course, those are the last to be produced.

Because of this huge increase in customer demand they have also changed how they produce. Until the last few years they'd run say 2 million rounds of a given bullet, at a given weight on a regular schedule, same with ammo that way there was a fairly constant supply of a broad range of ammo and components.

Due to demand however if they've got six million cases and one type of bullet in a given cartridge, they'll run six million of that specific combo because it's already sold no matter how much they produce. Once that run is done, they'll move to the next in that same line if they have the components, if not they'll retool and run something else until they run out of components and on and on.

Yes, there are some supply chain issues which can sometimes affect the production schedule but if they are lacking one thing they just produce something else and then will rescheduled that skipped run once the necessities are available.

Bad news. I was told not to expect any large runs of Magnum Primers to start showing up on the shelves for the next 12-18 months as they simply cannot produce them fast enough.

Good news, they are very soon going to be doubling their primer production capacity. They are however so far behind on contract orders for both loaded ammo and primers it's still likely to take at least 12 months to get caught up.

We covere
Based on some discussions we've had recently today I picked up the phone and called someone I know at Vista Outdoors. One thing my career provided me was an unlimited list of contacts in the industry and once in a while I break out my black book.

We spent a little over an hour on the phone and I learned a whole, whole lot.

Some basics everyone is interested in.

As I suspected ammo sales nationwide are at record highs. Federal alone has seen a 40% increase in each of the last two years.

As I knew, when it comes to components he confirmed that yes, there's a priority list. First on that list is their own factory ammo, next comes their committed contract buyers for whom they also provide ammo. Following those are the huge vendors like Cabelas/BP, SW Midway, Brownell's and Midsouth.

The only thing that makes it to the shelves for reloading components are overruns and excess so from primers to powder to bullets reloaders are at the bottom of the pile. The one exception to that is the powders that none of their contracts or their own proprietary ammo uses but of course, those are the last to be produced.

Because of this huge increase in customer demand they have also changed how they produce. Until the last few years they'd run say 2 million rounds of a given bullet, at a given weight on a regular schedule, same with ammo that way there was a fairly constant supply of a broad range of ammo and components.

Due to demand however if they've got six million cases and one type of bullet in a given cartridge, they'll run six million of that specific combo because it's already sold no matter how much they produce. Once that run is done, they'll move to the next in that same line if they have the components, if not they'll retool and run something else until they run out of components and on and on.

Yes, there are some supply chain issues which can sometimes affect the production schedule but if they are lacking one thing they just produce something else and then will rescheduled that skipped run once the necessities are available.

Bad news. I was told not to expect any large runs of Magnum Primers to start showing up on the shelves for the next 12-18 months as they simply cannot produce them fast enough.

Good news, they are very soon going to be doubling their primer production capacity. They are however so far behind on contract orders for both loaded ammo and primers it's still likely to take at least 12 months to get caught up.

We covered me topics and some of these in a more in depth way so feel free to ask questions. If I have an answer I'll provide it.
Sounds like the Fox is running the chicken house to me!
d me topics and some of these in a more in depth way so feel free to ask questions. If I have an answer I'll provide i

I blame this all on the high quality off the shelf firearms and the cool gadgets that allow us to range and shoot long distances and every time I turn around they're coming up with a new wiz bang bullet and amazing powder. What an amazing time we live in
Not to mention the increasing numbers of really good shooters willing to share their knowledge and experience!

@WildRose I will echo the other's thanks for your sharing this with us!

Ed

Not to mention the increasing numbers of really good shooters willing to share their knowledge and experience!

@WildRose I will echo the other's thanks for your sharing this with us!

Ed
Well I don't know how good I am but I've made a whole lot of mistakes along the way and learned from them.

If I can help others avoid the same mistakes they were worth something.

The $73M settlement by Remington due to mass shooting event using their Bushmaster AR is very concerning. Opening firearms manufacturers up to liability for crimes committed with their products is a significant issue. I believe the main issue involved the marketing of assault rifles to young men/boys as a way to get their "man card".

As always WildRose thoughtfully and clearly expressed the real issues we are confronting in the shooting and hunting community. Words matter, but action is imperative in maintaining our freedoms.
Please read this link for an assessment by the NSSF of the ROC strategy to the lawsuit against it.

I find it illuminating.

We have an opportunity to throw a grenade into the anti gun movement in November. I hope no matter what else is going on we can mobilize the public to get out and vote "pro gun, pro ammo, pro hunting" when they are considering candidates.

Unfortunately our traditional biggest weapon the NRA is so mired in controversy right now I don't think they are going to be a big part of the solution at least until the lawsuits and court cases get resolved.

We're going to have to be more pro active as individuals than ever before to make sure we can block any new restrictions at least until there's a change in presidents.

If you want to see what the future political landscape is going to be like take a look at how Beto O'Rourke has completely flipped on 2nd Amendment issues now that he's attempting to run against our current governor.

Two years ago he was among the most outspoken extremists proposing gun bans and even confiscation of "assault weapons" whereas today he'd have you believe he was the greatest defender of the 2nd Amendment in the last century.

Be sure when considering candidates you look at their history, not just the current rhetoric. We've seen all too often that once they get into office, no matter how they run to win they will are willing to throw their constituents off a cliff once they have power and who they really are and always have been comes out.
The NRA has become one of gun owners worst enemies. They no longer fight to preserve the second amendment, but have actually become advocates for gun control. They just signed on to support Feinsteins latest attack on second amendment rights. I'll never support the NRA sgain, and will advise that no one else does.

Man I pray things will get back to normal in a reasonable amount of time. These last few years have just flat out sucked in regards to getting components. I miss being able to walk in a store and pick up a few things here and there as I saw them. Now it's just survival of the fittest.

The NRA has become one of gun owners worst enemies. They no longer fight to preserve the second amendment, but have actually become advocates for gun control. They just signed on to support Feinsteins latest attack on second amendment rights. I'll never support the NRA sgain, and will advise that no one else does.
That would be the end of the line for nra. If they support that then they are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.