The New Hornady A-tip match bullet

bullets.png

Sorry, the bullet on the right didn't look long enough.

Midway has the twist rates. The 110 needs a 7.7, the 135 needs a 8.5, the 153 needs a 8, the 230 needs a 9, and the 250 needs a 8.5 twist

I will be ok for my 6.5x300 Weatherby. I am glad I don't have to rebarrel. Now, tell me I can kill an elk with it. Or someone fire it into the gell.

These look really cool. I was kind of hoping they would be a bit cheaper, but from the sounds of it, they're pretty serious. I'm curious how consistent and accurate they really are. I've always have had good luck with Hornady, but Sierra and Berger's are typically a little more consistent. I hope these live up to the claims.

They are in business to make $$ not for a charity :)

Hornady 4DOF is showing me more elevation and windage needed for the 153 a tip than a 147 eld for me

Wonder if that's an app error or if it's slightly reduced stability.

If you get a 1-8 30cal barrel to shoot the 250s and they don't turn out like you hoped, how light of bullet could you go back too?

Thanks
idcwby

Hornady 4DOF is showing me more elevation and windage needed for the 153 a tip than a 147 eld for me

Wonder if that's an app error or if it's slightly reduced stability.
Probably app error. I noticed the same with the 120 eld and 123 eld. 120 has a lower bc but they say it does better than the 123.

If you get a 1-8 30cal barrel to shoot the 250s and they don't turn out like you hoped, how light of bullet could you go back too?

Thanks
idcwby
Depending on cartridge, just about anything. From a 300wby on down you'd be fine going back to any normal weight 30cal bullet.

Thanks
idcwby
I think there would be plenty of choices. But if that's a concern buy a 9 twist and shoot the 230 A-tip. If Hornaday's BC are correct the 230 is a better option in any chambering short of a 300 Lapua AI capacity case. Run the numbers and you will see that the 230 runs faster than the 250 almost out to a mile. That's if they start out with equal muzzle energy.

At my location, 4500 ft elevation, Start both with 5000 ft lbs. The 230 arrives at 1300 yds doing 1953 fps with 1948 ft lbs. The 250 arrives at 1300 yds doing 1916 fps with 2038 ft lbs. Wind drift is 58.6 vs 57.8 for 230 vs 250.

I'd choose the 230 based on higher velocity and marginally better expansion at distance. If it turns out that these bullets expand too much, and that's possible based on construction, then the 250 could be the better choice.

With smaller capacity cases, say the 300 PRC or WM, the 230 choice would be even easier in my mind in favor of the lighter bullet.

For the 250 to be useful they should have stretched it out more for an 8 twist not 8.5. Even then it's a lot of bullet for anything short of the really big magnums. The 230 has a better form factor. Most of the extra weight of the 250 went into a longer bearing surface not a longer nose. So the 250 has a higher BC but is a less efficient bullet, too much velocity penalty.

Last edited:
This bullet is nothing new, just like the 6.5 creed was nothing new. Hornady just has an excellent advertising staff. These bullets if nothing else are expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts