Hornady A Tip

Velocities? Ive been using the 108, and RL26...FAST. Still looking for the accuracy.

Only chronographed the 108s but I'm sure 3000 +- for the 110s, waiting to get a good chronograph like the lab radar to do some real tests I've always used the pro chrono but I feel like they are not as accurate as the newer chronographs out there.

I've never used the reloader powders before

Rifle 25.7", 1X7 Twist, Omega Suppressor, A-tip, H4350 at 100yds: 40.2 gr, vel3080, moa 0.348; 40.5, vel 3110, moa 0.359; 40.8 gr, vel ?, moa 0.549. Used Horn brass, large primer, 5 shot groups. Interesting difference in amt. of powder; don't have answer?? Barrel tuning, suppressor? Just sharing info! Comment??

6mm creed Rifle I built - bartlein -1-7.5 twist Blank-26" M24 Contour
.277 Neck Dia. and .183 Freebore

Lapua brass, small rifle primer magnum, no suppressor testing yet but im willing to bet it will certainly tighten up the groups

When you have Dave Preston shooting for you, you could hand him factory thirds and still come away with a win for advertising.

If the price is cut in 1/2 to somewhere between the ELD-Ms and Bergers, I might try them. I quit shooting Bergers because they are $45-55/box when the ELDs are 30. Bergers shoot well, but the ELDs shoot well enough.

Just got my box. They look fancy but twice the price!!! Might be my only box. Unless the shoot crazy good..:confused::confused:

Attachments

• IMG_20190816_170544361.jpg
    IMG_20190816_170544361.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
I'll be testing the 230 Atip on a cow elk the first week of December. So far they shoot good for me out of my 300 WM. Shooting right at an inch at 300 and just over 3" at 710. Running at 2940 with RL26 in a 26" 1in8 Benchmark. I'm super happy with the accuracy and the published BC has lined up for me so far, though I've only shot them out to 1100. I'm interested in anyone's experience on game though.

We've been wondering how terminal performance would be on the A-TIPs. After some preliminary testing, we finally put them to work on a nice NM pronghorn last week. Take a look at the results!

Have y'all tried them on larger animals with the larger grain A Tips?

We haven't yet. This is the first test on an animal we've done. Antelope makes a good first test case because it's a very controlled environment. Pretty clear it expanded well, though, even at that range. From my experience hunting with the ELDMs, it sure seems to have behaved in a very similar way. In my experience the ELDMs expand violently, almost explosively at close ranges and very high velocities with massive trauma, but less penetration, while at longer ranges and slower velocities, they tend to expand in a more traditional mushroom, penetrating deeper, but still causing excellent trauma.

We haven't yet. This is the first test on an animal we've done. Antelope makes a good first test case because it's a very controlled environment. Pretty clear it expanded well, though, even at that range. From my experience hunting with the ELDMs, it sure seems to have behaved in a very similar way. In my experience the ELDMs expand violently, almost explosively at close ranges and very high velocities with massive trauma, but less penetration, while at longer ranges and slower velocities, they tend to expand in a more traditional mushroom, penetrating deeper, but still causing excellent trauma.

Would you feel comfortable with the ELD-M at high velocities and close range only for a vitals shot, or still a shoulder shot as well? Looking forward to some larger caliber A Tip results. I've got some 230's I could replace my 215 Bergers with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.