Hornady A-Tip

I have had good results on game with the Amax bullets and also the eldm. I was excited when I heard about the Atips coming out because I surmised that they were a higher bc version of the earlier designs. I pre ordered some from Midway for my 30 SM. While I was waiting for them to come in, I heard some things that I didnt like as far as hunting application goes. What I heard was (1) they gave it a little thicker jacket (2) they put alloy in the lead core to harden it.
I dont know for sure if either are true but it concerned me enough to cancel my order before it came in as neither of the two things will help expansion. They still could prove to be good hunting bullets buts its far too early to declare success based on a dead antelope that ran 30 yards after being shot through the shoulders! If they did thicken the jacket and harden the core, they may be better close in than the old bullets, but who needs .800 bc to shoot under 500 yards.
I guess time will tell because there is no doubt that they will be used.

I'm with you Rich, to declare a success on a antelope is just wrong.
I'm not gonna be the first to try, second one for that matter either. I stick with what I know works untill I feel something better comes along and so far I havent seen it.

I have had good results on game with the Amax bullets and also the eldm. I was excited when I heard about the Atips coming out because I surmised that they were a higher bc version of the earlier designs. I pre ordered some from Midway for my 30 SM. While I was waiting for them to come in, I heard some things that I didnt like as far as hunting application goes. What I heard was (1) they gave it a little thicker jacket (2) they put alloy in the lead core to harden it.
I dont know for sure if either are true but it concerned me enough to cancel my order before it came in as neither of the two things will help expansion. They still could prove to be good hunting bullets buts its far too early to declare success based on a dead antelope that ran 30 yards after being shot through the shoulders! If they did thicken the jacket and harden the core, they may be better close in than the old bullets, but who needs .800 bc to shoot under 500 yards.
I guess time will tell because there is no doubt that they will be used.
I agree people will undoubtedly hunt animals with this match bullet. Oh well, just like people will exceed max loads also.

My underestanding about the A-tips is that (1) Hornady is not going to produce premade rounds of this for sale, the bullets are for reloading only (2) they were basically only to be used for target not hunting.

Was it inappropriate for a company with a following like Gunwerks to hunt with a target bullet? Or better yet only show us one result- that being a light skinned game animal....

Was it inappropriate for a company with a following like Gunwerks to hunt with a target bullet? Or better yet only show us one result- that being a light skinned game animal....

Time will tell! Im not opposed to using a so called "target bullet" if they're proven. I just think we are a long ways from that at this point.

I guess I dont get it when it comes to people willing to risk the next best
" mouse trap" in a hunting bullet on game for a couple inches at 1,000 when theres plenty of proven hunting bullets out there.

I'm not going to pass judgment on the A-tip yet, but I personally wouldnt try it without some testing. As said before, it doesnt have the makeup to be a expanding projectile. IF I did use the A-tip, I'd want to send them fairly fast to help get that expansion. The gunwerks video doesnt tell us much. Now take a eld-m and you have a different animal. That's a killer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.