Hornady A Tip

I don't prescribe to the shoulder stopping a bullet theory. I think the one weakness of the ELDM is at extreme high velocities with less penetration. But I hit a Wyoming bull elk right behind the shoulder with a 147 last year at 100 yards. Though it didn't penetrate terribly deep, the trauma was incredible. He took a couple steps and tipped over. In my opinion a shoulder shot in that case at worst would result in a lot of runied meat. Usually bone impacted by a bullet on elk and smaller size game just turns into more projectile to aid the process.

Would you feel comfortable with the ELD-M at high velocities and close range only for a vitals shot, or still a shoulder shot as well? Looking forward to some larger caliber A Tip results. I've got some 230's I could replace my 215 Bergers with.

How far you seating these off the lands? Just picked up some 230s to try in my 300 norma improved.
I haven't done much thorough load development yet, but these were about 15 thousandsths off the lands. The more forgiving ogive on this bullet should make it even less sensitive to seating depth than the ELDMs.

I haven't done much thorough load development yet, but these were about 15 thousandsths off the lands. The more forgiving ogive on this bullet should make it even less sensitive to seating depth than the ELDMs.

On the 110gr Atips I cant seat them .020 or less off the lands. After 300 rounds I would be chasing the lands and the bullet would be out of the neck. They seem to like .070 in my 6mm creed and .100 off the lands. They haven't grouped the greatest compared to the 108 ELDm but I'm still giving them a chance. ES has been just under 19 which is ok but would like to see that better as well. I would really like to run the 110s but only time will tell. You almost have to run very little freebore in the 6 mm creed chamber to run the the 110 a tips or you will run out of neck on the case.

the a-tip is way to over priced for me and dont know how some people can afford to shoot them

A box of 230gr ATips is $30 more than a box of 230 Berger hybrids. One box is plenty to work up a load, confirm dope to 1760 and shoot a few more just playing around and have 20-30 left for hunting season. That's just one box. It's really not that much more money if the performance is there. Realistically, I can load 230 ATips in my 300wm for the price of factory 6.5 ammo. It seems like a lot, but it's not really that bad. Still, if it's not in your budget, just don't buy any.

I don't prescribe to the shoulder stopping a bullet theory. I think the one weakness of the ELDM is at extreme high velocities with less penetration. But I hit a Wyoming bull elk right behind the shoulder with a 147 last year at 100 yards. Though it didn't penetrate terribly deep, the trauma was incredible. He took a couple steps and tipped over. In my opinion a shoulder shot in that case at worst would result in a lot of runied meat. Usually bone impacted by a bullet on elk and smaller size game just turns into more projectile to aid the process.
I'm sure you have shot a lot more elk than I, so just getting more clarification from you. Are you saying you do not think an elk shoulder can/will stop a lightly constructed bullet? I ask because I've been led to believe the opposite so I tend to go worst case and shoot a larger caliber, with heavy for cal bullets that are well put together.
I travel a long ways, have too much in tags and may get one chance at an elk & it isn't every year the military "lets" me go (probably not this one). I want to be able to capitalize on that one shot, be it 1 or 1000 yards.

Anybody had any luck with these on game this fall?

Yes, a headshot on a buck at 611 and a shoulder shot on a cow at 760. Both with a 135 out of a creedmoor. Shoulder shot dropped her in her tracks. Penetrated both shoulders and left a 1.5" exit on the far side. Performed about the same as an eldx in my experience. Good enough that I'll continue to hunt with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.