The LRKM is Just about ready for production

It has already been done for military. I watched it on military ch, top 10 sniper rifles. Desert tactical arms, bullpup.Covert is 26'' oal w/16'' barrel in 308. There are 8 other chambering and all switch barrel. A 338 LM IS 37.5'' oal w/26'' barrel, max is 27.5 barrel. You can take one chasis and have 1/2 doz. different set ups. They also have a 50 bmg and 375 cheytac. You can get 243,308, 260 REM,6.5X47LM,7WSM,300WN,338NM,338LM. I have seen guys on the sniper hide have them.

Hey Shawn,
I was just watching the History channel, & noticed a very striking similarity to your LRKM, with what they were showing on TV, the Desert Tactical, Stealth Recon Scout, swich barrel. If yours is anywhere near that cool, youll have to crank up production, cause they're gonna sell FAST!
Are you looking into offering a switch barrel model at all? Maybe looking at thiers would inspire some ideas??
Either way yours is bad ***. (just cover up all that shiney stuff) hurts my eyes.:D

Oops, guess I should've read all the way to page 6 BEFORE I posted this.
Sorry guys.

Last edited:
N owe aren't going to offer a switch barreled version, we were only worried about short and kills stuff along ways away. THe parts are going to the anodizer this week so I don't have to take anymore jokes about fat chicks and scooters. In raw alluminum it is pretty load to look at but some OD green and black should tone it down alot. The DTA rifle is a well engeneered piece with many good features, I don't think it will run with ours in terms of accuracy though. THe LRKM reflects specificaly what I want in a mission specific long range hunting rifle, glad you guys like it. I'll post more when it has some color.

Shawn:

Very interesting rifle.

As you complete the project it is hoped (at least by me) that you will update your website in regards both the +P offering and the LRKM. I find no info on the +P and the very brief text listings on your rifles leave a lot to be desired.

I've read thru this thread and find no info on the action you are using - Rem 700, BAT, Defiance, or? Also, will you be limiting the rifle to standard magnum bolt face cartridges, only to the +P, or?

I read all your posts but find no mention of what's involved in chambering a second round. [Possibly a YouTube video.] While keeping the rifle short is virtually an unquestioned advantage, the DTA SRS approach seems to provide more functionality (you don't have to remove the rifle from your shoulder and the SRS is mag fed). I note this because you state, " I had one mission in mind when I started with it. That was to build what I thought was the most effective long range hunting platform." Do you find LR hunters preferring and using a single shot platform?

Best of luck with the new system. I'm looking forward to more details and plenty of pics on your site.

Scot:

Thanks for the link. I went through the first couple of pages in this forum today (3/8/2012) and the "newer" thread was not there, just the older one. Seriously strange that this thread started on 2/17/2012 and the other thread with more current info started on 2/1/2011.

Yes, all questions are answered. My continuing complaint remains - ZIP on their website.

Scot:

Thanks for the link. I went through the first couple of pages in this forum today (3/8/2012) and the "newer" thread was not there, just the older one. Seriously strange that this thread started on 2/17/2012 and the other thread with more current info started on 2/1/2011.

Yes, all questions are answered. My continuing complaint remains - ZIP on their website.

That is the problem with the good smiths, no time for anything but building and testing rifles! :)

Scot E.

ELR R,

I have seen that a single shot is not a disadvantage in 99% of long range hunitng suituations, so we started there. My big focus was maximum length reduction, make it a repeater wasn't even on the list. We plan to have some UTube video and complete info on the website. Right now we don't even have a colored finished rifle to take pictures of, so we have certain priorities like getting the project dialed in and building it. This thread was intended to be a preview not a complete "thread avertisement" so I am sorry if it is lacking in info but I will get that posted and up as soon as I have it / can.

Really innovative design Shawn - nice work.

I can see the 'advantage' of a repeater in certain applications, but yea for long-range hunting single shot is/should be enough (nice to have the capability of a speedy follow-up though).

It's not difficult to take a quick follow up with a single shot.

Yep. I shoot most all my repeaters single. One in the tube and two on the ground next to the rifle if needed. I don't feel I am giving up anything.

Jeff

You all are right - this is true. I've just not used a specifically single-shot rifle enough to fully comprehend this truth even though i've generally used my repeater rifles slowly (one shot at a time) - whether lever-actions or bolt-guns. I'm *definitely* not in the 'spray and pray' camp!

Unfortunately for me, i too frequently struggle between 'convenience' (i.e. a magazine/tube) and 'necessity' (i generally only shoot once regardless of whether i'm using a repeater or not) and too often muddying the waters to make things (seem) easier, but not necessarily better (or in fact, not necessarily easier...).

Looks like a super sweet rifle - all the bene's of a long barrel w/o the struggle of all that extra barrel length.

SP 6x6,

Checked out the DTA website, it appears that the DTA bullpup is several inches longer than ours. The 26" barreled 338 LM has a finished length of 39" + what ever muzzle attachment you want break, supressor mount etc. The LRKM is 44 inches with a 32" barrel and break, if you installed a 26" barrel and remove the brake (no fun to shoot that way) it would be 34.5" long. The DTA rifle has many good features but the bottom line is that I would put the accuracy performance upa against the DTA anytime. I first the DTA while we were working on the LRKM and thouht "crap beat to the punch again", but on futher examination they are similar but really 2 different animals. Oh yea they don't appear to make them lefthanded. Hope to have the LRKM anodized in a couple of weeks and post some pics. We are starting to get parts in form the CNC shop and hope to start building them in 3-4 weeks.

SP 6x6,

Oh yea they (DTA - fmajor ED) don't appear to make them lefthanded. Hope to have the LRKM anodized in a couple of weeks and post some pics. We are starting to get parts in form the CNC shop and hope to start building them in 3-4 weeks.

I'm also a Lefty, but shoot RH. So, are you going to offer this to the RH community - they're always complaining about lack of RH gear :rolleyes: - or keep the goods for the Lefty's?

It's a great lookin' platform and while the DTA is pretty sweet (i really like the look of the receiver - bolt/trigger/handset ergo's), i suspect the LRKM offers greater velocity given it's longer barrel capacity.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.