The 25 sst...up and running

I had a chance to test N565 yesterday with the 100gr Nosler BT.

N565

63. 3516
63.5 3518
64. 3556 C
64.5 3581 C
65. 3610 C
65.5 3649 C very faint em
66. 3679 C faint em
66.5 3687 C faint em, out of room bullet pushing out

H-1000 results from earlier.

62 3533
62.5 3551
63 3584
63.5 3617 C
64 3652 C
64.5 3673 C very faint EM
65 3703 C faint EM
65.5 3720 C EM
66 3750 C EM slight bolt lift, out of room bullet pushing out.

I was glad to see these bullets hold together with my twist and almost 900 rounds through the barrel. With the exit twist at 7.12" running 3700fps they are turning 374,157 RPM.

Found a mild load with H-1000 and the 100gr Nosler BT's. When shooting the rifle was zeroed for the 131gr ACE at 100yds.
View attachment 170365

Also went pig hunting and got a double with the 131ACE's at 150 yards for both. Had the tips opened up with a smaller bit this time and they worked great. Both got hit in the lungs 1 dropped the other ran 10 yards and dropped. Both had close to 1" exits with a lot of blood loss. I was glad to see the pigs go down that quick but they were only 100 pounders.

Impact velocity 2940 FPS
Impact energy 1440 ft-lbs
View attachment 170368
Thats some serious velocity!
It will be nice to see some more bullet selection too. I'll bet there will be some news after the shot this week!

Thanks guys it has been interesting testing the Nosler's. After this barrel is done it's got me wanting to have 2 barrels spun up next time to run a slow and a fast twist.

I'm drilling out the tips on the 131's with a .019 then a .026 bit now and it's much easier and seems to work just as good.

Rich I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out after shot for the 25 cals.

CA48 how deep are you drilling the 131 tips out? Just ordered 500 of these and wasn't sure if it was worth while drilling them.

I'm trying to negotiate an audad hunt in west Texas around the end of February or beginning of march right now. If I can get the guy to a comfortable price my dad and I are gonna go try and knock a couple good ones down. I plan on packing the 25 and seeing how the opened tips work for me vs how they did without it. I'm confident that I'll see the same results you have.

Beeman, once you open up the tip And drill all the way through you will feel it. It's not solid behind it, like most match bullets the forward area of the bullet has a decent size cavity/airspace. It's like when your putting a lot of pressure on a drill trying to drill into a stud but you miss the stud and just have dry wall. Then when you get through it more easily than you expected the drill shoots forward slamming the chuck in the wall. It may not be necessary to drill them all the way through but I haven't seen a downside or a difference. The buck I shot at shot at 638 was hit with a bullet where I had just opened up the tip slightly and didn't go all the way though. When I do that I'm not adding any depth just opening it. I only drill out a few each time before I go hunting so it's not like it's a ton of extra effort, takes 2min. And it's worth it when I'm seeing 1" exits.

Couesaddict,
I tried one pig with the bullet in stock form. It was a 200lb boar and I only got a 1/2" exit and the bullet didn't even start expanding until the second lung and he ran 100 yards. Since I've started opening the tips the deer and pigs have been dropping much faster.

Good luck on the Audad hunt, it's some of my favorite hunting. I didn't see any shooters this year on my place but I can tell you that you will be better off with the tips opened, in that form the 131s should work well. A big Audad Ram is tough as nails. I've seen them soak up some hard hits.

Last edited:
Tested out the 92gr Hammer Hunters with RL26 today. They have a large hollow point and look like they will be devastating. Ran a pressure test then shot one group at charge that I thought would shoot well.
F96E0416-BAD3-4737-BCE8-CC8CD2068116.jpeg

This is the last 5 shots 60-62gr with the magneto speed attached, 62 is the flyer. I would estimate 62gr is ~95-97% case fill.
269F2C4B-C69A-4F72-A180-0A0521A663B7.jpeg

504AC1FA-10C5-4E2B-894D-01F9C79F4903.jpeg

Shot the group with the rifle zeroed for the 131 ACE's.

Looking good so far, had stop shooting early and head out to go hog hunting!

Tested out the 92gr Hammer Hunters with RL26 today. They have a large hollow point and look like they will be devastating. Ran a pressure test then shot one group at charge that I thought would shoot well.
View attachment 172864
This is the last 5 shots 60-62gr with the magneto speed attached, 62 is the flyer. I would estimate 62gr is ~95-97% case fill.
View attachment 172863
View attachment 172862
Shot the group with the rifle zeroed for the 131 ACE's.
Nice! cant wait to see some dead hogs👍

Looking good so far, had stop shooting early and head out to go hog hunting!

Got set up this evening and about 1.5hrs before dark I saw some hogs come out to feed in a low area that was still wet from the rain a few days ago. They were about 800 yards out and of course I only brought 3 rounds loaded with the 100gr Nosler BT's because that's all I had loaded up and ready to go. So I watched what looked like a 200lb+ boar, a sow, and several piglets. Waiting and glassing for something to come within about 400 yds since I hadn't shot this load past 100 yet. It got about 20 min before dark and the hogs were still feeding way out there so I decided to quickly go after them while I still had light. About half way there I dropped my gear in a good spot and just took my rifle. I got close to where I thought they would be and saw a bare dirt mound where I thought I could belly crawl to about 15 yards and get a shot at one of them. I got to the mound and laying prone with my bipod I was looking around through my scope were I thought they were. It was almost dark and I couldn't see them. Finally after looking around for about 2min I caught some movement and could just barely see the top of a hogs back through the high grass and brush. I didn't have a good shot so I slowly stood up and rested my rifle against a mesquite tree that was right beside me. It was almost dark and hard to see I turned the magnification down to help and saw one of the bigger hogs facing almost directly at me staring me down. The front end was just slightly left and the back end was just slightly right, range was probably just under 100 yards. So I tryed to put my shot just right on the hogs chest thinking this would put the bullet in the center of the vitals. I was out of light so I got steady and sent it. I immediately heard a loud thud and thought sweet that should do the job. I loaded another round and headed towards the hog. Got up there and saw I had shot the sow, she was about 130lbs. She made it about 15 yards and went down. My shot went a little right and high of where I intended it to entering in the high back, but did the job. Bullet went end through the back on the right side and exited on the same side out the stomach. The 100gr nosler's at 3570 sure will ruin a hogs day.

Entrance
55A0D306-23E2-4319-8B25-A18DCC4394C6.jpeg

7F60DB97-D178-40C9-A4CA-54582E468D7D.jpeg

Got set up this evening and about 1.5hrs before dark I saw some hogs come out to feed in a low area that was still wet from the rain a few days ago. They were about 800 yards out and of course I only brought 3 rounds loaded with the 100gr Nosler BT's because that's all I had loaded up and ready to go. So I watched what looked like a 200lb+ boar, a sow, and several piglets. Waiting and glassing for something to come within about 400 yds since I hadn't shot this load past 100 yet. It got about 20 min before dark and the hogs were still feeding way out there so I decided to quickly go after them while I still had light. About half way there I dropped my gear in a good spot and just took my rifle. I got close to where I thought they would be and saw a bare dirt mound where I thought I could belly crawl to about 15 yards and get a shot at one of them. I got to the mound and laying prone with my bipod I was looking around through my scope were I thought they were. It was almost dark and I couldn't see them. Finally after looking around for about 2min I caught some movement and could just barely see the top of a hogs back through the high grass and brush. I didn't have a good shot so I slowly stood up and rested my rifle against a mesquite tree that was right beside me. It was almost dark and hard to see I turned the magnification down to help and saw one of the bigger hogs facing almost directly at me staring me down. The front end was just slightly left and the back end was just slightly right, range was probably just under 100 yards. So I tryed to put my shot just right on the hogs chest thinking this would put the bullet in the center of the vitals. I was out of light so I got steady and sent it. I immediately heard a loud thud and thought sweet that should do the job. I loaded another round and headed towards the hog. Got up there and saw I had shot the sow, she was about 130lbs. She made it about 15 yards and went down. My shot went a little right and high of where I intended it to entering in the high back, but did the job. Bullet went end through the back on the right side and exited on the same side out the stomach. The 100gr nosler's at 3570 sure will ruin a hogs day.
Wow! Im kind of surprised that bullet even exited at that speed!
Dead piggy at any rate🙂
Entrance
View attachment 172944
View attachment 172945

Rich, I was surprised to see the exit myself at less than 100 yds. With my fast twist I'm sure those bullets are about to come apart as it is just leaving the barrel. Out of that box of 100 I only had one come apart and it wasn't even all the way. When it hit clean paper the hole looked like I had shot a 50cal.