The 25 sst...up and running

Got my 25 SST back from Straightshot gunsmithing today and it turned out awesome!
Built on a tikka action, proof sendero 7.5 twist 26", SSG ti v port vaporizer brake, Iota Kremlin stock and soon to be wearing a leupold mark 5. Rifle weighs in at 7lbs 4oz with no scope.

Hoping to get it bedded and shooting this week if my dies show up.
Plan is RL26 and the 131 ace.
Nice build.

Nick @StraightJacket (interesting how it's close to StraightShot) is building me one as well and though it took a while to find the barrel, it finally came in. I'm hoping to have my build by end of the month:
Origin Action
Proof Sendero 26" 7.5 twist (short shanked by 1" since it'll always have a suppressor on it)
Area419 Hellfire Adapter, will use with TBAC Ultra 7
TT Diamond Pro curved
McMillan GameHunter stock in black/grey marble

The Hornady dies came back in stock with Rich just in time too, they're already on the way to me as well.

Not sure on scope yet. Wish I had picked up one of the Swaro X5 3.5-18s they closed out last year. need to find a good light scope for this one now.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will run an 18" 2b-3b contour barrel (threaded for a suppressor of course). I had originally thought I'd go carbon fiber, or a larger contour, but this rifle will not see any long strings of fire. What barrel manufacturers is everyone having good luck with in the .25 cal?
Can't go wrong with a Bart or Krieger.

I went with a hells canyon carbon on mine and am very happy with it. You can cut them to any length you want also. There were several makes of tight twist 25 cal barrels on blackjacks website too but I haven't checked on them in a while. Getting to be a lot of proof barrels out there too but I think 26" is their only option for now. I'd say any big name barrel company that will do the twist for you in the contour you want would work just fine. They all make good barrels.

Nice build.

Nick is building me one as well and though it took a while to find the barrel, it finally came in. I'm hoping to have my build by end of the month:
Origin Action
Proof Sendero 26" 7.5 twist (short shanked by 1" since it'll always have a suppressor on it)
Area419 Hellfire Adapter, will use with TBAC Ultra 7
TT Diamond Pro curved
McMillan GameHunter stock in black/grey marble

The Hornady dies came back in stock with Rich just in time too, they're already on the way to me as well.

Not sure on scope yet. Wish I had picked up one of the Swaro X5 3.5-18s they closed out last year. need to find a good light scope for this one now.

Thank you!
Sounds like an awesome build yourself, and my favorite mcmillan stock color!
That's going to be a lightweight rig with a x5! I'm planning to do some elr events and I like a little more magnification so I ordered a 7-35 and a 5-25. I believe the 5-25 at 30 ounces is almost double the weight of the x5 but still impressive for a 56 obj and 35 mil tube. I'll hopefully get some results posted up next weekend.

I was able to get the SST out for its debut this weekend and it didnt disappoint!
It was windy as hell all weekend so saturday I loaded up a ladder with RL 26 and the 131 ace .020" off.
I was quite surprised the speeds I was getting out of a new 26" barrel. I shot a ladder and headed back home and loaded up 5 different charges to get some rounds down the tube.
Again it was windy today so I attached the magnetospeed to get some early data and fired away in the wind, 59.5 grains shot really well in a 5 shot group without really trying, and at 3301fps with an ES of 6! I took the magneto off and shot another 5 shot group with 59.5 grains trying to shoot in between gusts!
I'd say it's a shooter!

Attachments

• 20200223_155745.jpg
    20200223_155745.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
  • 20200222_134513.jpg
    20200222_134513.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
I was able to get the SST out for its debut this weekend and it didnt disappoint!
It was windy as hell all weekend so saturday I loaded up a ladder with RL 26 and the 131 ace .020" off.
I was quite surprised the speeds I was getting out of a new 26" barrel. I shot a ladder and headed back home and loaded up 5 different charges to get some rounds down the tube.
Again it was windy today so I attached the magnetospeed to get some early data and fired away in the wind, 59.5 grains shot really well in a 5 shot group without really trying, and at 3301fps with an ES of 6! I took the magneto off and shot another 5 shot group with 59.5 grains trying to shoot in between gusts!
I'd say it's a shooter!
What brand barrel and primers? My 25sst is just waiting on the stock. Your speeds are impressive. My 26" 25saum runs close to same speed with 60gr. I thought this proof may be a bit slow. I got ejector @ 60.6gr 3340 fps. Could be a bit tight. I'm looking forward to doing load development on the new rifle.

Last edited:
What brand barrel and primers? My 25sst is just waiting on the stock. Your speeds are impressive. My 26" 25saum runs close to same speed with 60gr. I thought this proof may be a bit slow. I got ejector @ 60.6gr 3340 fps. Could be a bit tight. I'm looking forward to doing load development on the new rifle
Proof barrel and 210m primers. Good luck with your development!

N565 was mentioned up thread. I've got some of it but still waiting on my rifle so no experience to report yet.

Imr 7977 is supposed to have the same burn rate as h-1000 and be temp stable as well. I have some but have not tested it yet.

Alright, been reading through the 16 pages of this forum and I've heard good suggestions on powder but what's the consensus? I'm at least a few months out from getting my rifle (wanting to use the Defiance anTi and deploying) so I'm really in no rush. I have on hand 4 lbs of RL26, 4 lbs of 4831sc, 2 lbs if imr4350 (and a bunch of others not listed but not fit for this round). My 270SS loves RL26 under 156 hammer hunters. I'm sure RL26 will work, but that leaves me with 4 rifles using the same pounder which is hard to find!

Went into my local shop last week and they were out of RL26 (first time they've been out!). They have H4350, N570, H1000, and IMR 7977. Should I pick up a couple pounds of one of these to use or just stick with RL26 and chance possibly running out?

I'm a hunter and not a competition shooter so my volume of shooting isn't as high as most y'all. 4 lbs of 26 should last me ~2 years or so.

Thanks!