Hornady SST in 25-06

i never did but i can't imagine that not being enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
i've shot lots with 85 ct's,87fb,90hpbt & 117bt sierras,115nbt 100smk and would go to 110gr nosler next.not that any got away?

Never did shoot any deer with em but I did test some of them out in my 25-06. They shot around 3/4" at 100 yards but I opted NOT to use them on deer as they blew up on my wet newspaper expansion test. The 115g NBT is a way better performer.

My hunting bud, is using the Hornady factory loads with that bullet with great preformance on hogs. He hasn't gotten the chance to try them on a deer as of yet. The hogs we have both shot with is rifle all hit the dirt reasonably quickly as shots were not always that spot on. The ranges have been from about 50 yds out to over 400 and all have dropped within 5 - 50 or so feet from the impact. Most times on the hogs we don't get to choose the exact placement of the shot. We haven't noticed any problems as of yet. The have penetrated through from point on shoulder to the back of the opposite ribcage on several weighting up to 200#. We haven't noted any major over expansion, nor blow ups on them yet. They hit do their thing and plow out the other side in most cases leaving about a 3/4" or so exit hole. Here are 2 that were both taken straight through the meat of both shoulders using the 117's, the first was at a little over 200 yds and the second was at about 60 or 80 yds. Both views are showing the exit sides.
236439479OlHXRh_ph.jpg
236674612bQpKQr_ph.jpg

They are generally caught off guard and running so the hits depend on which direction in relation to us they are traveling, how fast, and how far out. They do however make for great field training with your rifle.

Generally we give something new to us a good testing on the hogs before we will use it on the deer. If it does good on them with the various angles and distances we shoot them, then we feel a lot better when the bog boy walks out.

I personally have not used them in my rifle as I use the 115 Part. It has served me well for the past 8 or 10 years. It groups in under an inch at 200 with regularity and has done it's job on everything I, or my daughter have sicked them on.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.