That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

See if this works.
fc811f92.jpg

Yup that looks like a greenie bick... thin with big horns....

naw just kidding.. nice buck...!! tell us the story .....

Very nice buck. It is not an average "Greenie" buck, but those pictures and its lengths does make it look thin.
Congratulations!

Who did the taxidermy?

Slymule, you're just plain mean and nasty. Forgot about me huh? i'm still around watching from the sidelines as usual.

Slymule...

No worries.. I am attempting to contact the person I guided to the 33 1/2 ( inside spread ) buck this past year... Thats my best buck!! I did everything but pull the trigger...

Unfortunatly, I am way to busy guiding to do alot of hunting on my own... so I have not killed any trophy animals .. I usually pass on most of the 26-28"ers as I have the fortune of living in the west and don't have the need to kill whatever comes my way...

I am not being critical of your buck..it is a very exceptional deer no doubt..
I would be curious as to who did the taxidermy... I am not an expert but it almost looks like he used the wrong mold.. your bucks neck resembles that of a whitetail.. I could be wrong your mulies in Colo. could have a difeerent structure than the mountain deer here.. I know our "desert" deer are a little different than the mountain deer....
If everything you said is true about your deer shouldn't he have been in rut when you killed it??

Just curious... nice trophy you should be pleased....

WyoWhisper, yeah I can tell your not trying to be critical of my buck.
rolleyes.gif

"Who did the taxidermy...it looks like he used the wrong mold...your bucks neck resembles that of a whitetail."

My taxidermist is brand new to the game - he's only been doing taxidermy for 44 years now. Besides being a Master taxidermist he happens to be a big buck fanatic himself, and has three bucks over 40" to his credit (widest is 47") along with probably a half dozen that would make B&C all time records if he chose to ever have them measured. They include muleys, blacktails, whitetails, and Coues deer. He's got museums full of HIS work only, not only North American game but African game as well. He's retired now and only does work for his friends and for a few of his neighbors anymore. At one time he had the largest taxidermy business in Southern California...but...no doubt, I'm sure you know more about which form he should of used...being a big buck guy yourself and all.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

"If everything you said is true about your deer shouldn't he have been in rut when you killed it?" - Don't remember saying when I killed him, but NO he shouldn't of been and WASN'T in the rut when I shot him ...cause I shot him in the second week of October. Maybe thats why his neck "looks like a whitetail", or maybe he used a gazelle form on him by mistake.
rolleyes.gif

Jeez, everybodys a critic these days. Especially those people who HAVEN'T shot a buck as big! Oh, I know...all you had to do was just pull the trigger.
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sheesh.. touchy..nice cover up on the anger though.. no doubt if we were tippin back a few you'd have swung at me..

Maybe it came across as harsh but the internet doesn't allow for emotions to be put into posts, but really I was just asking... trying to tread lightly and not come off as a critic.

tried to be nice.. by saying our freakin' deer have much larger bodies than yours and was curious as to if your deer were structured different.. because I am not the only one who has remarked that your buck looks thin compared to most muleys.

I even said I wasn't an expert .. I even complimented you on your exceptional buck...

Curious to know that if your taxidermist has sooo many big bucks that would be B&C WORLD records why he wouldn't have them scored. I mean not just one world record but 6 !!!!

47" .. that I'd like to see!!! wait thats outside spread right??

oh and by the way you are right.. usually I do all the work and the clients just keep up and pull the trigger.. thats what most of them pay for...

I guide clients to 6-10 deer a year.. and you 1.... don't go where you don't belong. Wait I know.. us guides do it for the fame and it ain't all that hard right ..anyone can do it.. if they had the time..

next time you go deer hunting take along 2 guys who havn't done it before .. make sure they stay in your back pocket.. and see how easy it is to get your shot off....

I can be a little critical of your buck.. ( even though I wasn't ) afterall guiding for deer is part of my living... I have earned the right to be picky.. even though it is ( again an exceptional buck heck I would have shot it )unless you've guided tread lightly...

all you needed to say or confirm was that the deer in Colo. may be a little smaller framed than the deer this way.. as I don't know I havn't spent that much time in Colo. nor do I want to.. or yeah he was pre-rut... that would have explained it...

you fit the mold belive me...
grin.gif

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

WyoWhisper,
Don't know why our deer appear smaller than your Wyoming deer, I've never hunted Wyoming deer before. Maybe it had something to do with our drought last year...maybe they're just smaller...maybe Wyomings like Texas and everything you guys have is bigger than what everybody else has got.
rolleyes.gif

I didn't say he had six "world records" I said he had probably six bucks that would make B&C all time record book, theres a BIG difference. As to why he never had them scored and put in the books, I asked him that same question myself. "Too much hassle involved with having your name in the book" was his answer. He said he has enough people calling him trying to buy his racks just from word of mouth, much less if they were in the book. A recent example was Doyle Moss of Mossback Productions dropped by his place a couple of months ago to look at his bucks. This was when Doyle came down to film a pair of bucks that a friend of mine knew about. Doyle tried to buy three of his racks before he left - guess he must of thought they'd score really high in the book also. And yes, that 47" is outside spread, as if that makes a difference. Actually he's had 3 or 4 of them scored by official scorers just because they offered to do so knowing they were high book bucks. He told me what place they would of held in the books at that time, but he didn't want to put them in for the reason I already gave you. He's satisfied just knowing that HE got them and they're hanging on HIS wall - some people are just like that. Since you don't seem to believe much of what I say, feel free to give Doyle Moss a call and ask him about the bucks that Chuck Strauss has got in his shop and in his living room wall. That is if you believe that Doyle knows what a big buck looks like.
rolleyes.gif

I never said that "you guides just do it for the fame and its not all that hard..anyone can do it..if they had the time" - you said that not me.

"Next time you go deer hunting take along 2 guys who haven't done it before..make sure they stay in your pocket..and see how easy it is to get your shot off" - guess what big guy, I had 3 such guys standing beside me when I touched off that shot.
grin.gif
And I would be happy to produce they're phone numbers so you can check it out. I'm not some internet bullshitter that doesn't know what he's doing or what he's talking about - I can backup everything I say and do.

"unless you've guided, tread lightly" -I never said that I don't guide. I just don't take MONEY for guiding cause its not how I make my living and I'm guiding friends, not paying customers. I'm usually out there from bow season to the last rifle season every year. I do it for the enjoyment and to give my mules something to do. So I know the game, been doing it for probably longer than you have.

Don't know when the rut hits in Wyoming but I would imagine its not much different than in Colorado, and in Colorado mid October is pre-rut. And if you don't believe that statement, well I can prove that one too!
tongue.gif

"you fit the mold believe me" - I already told ya', when this child hit the ground God took one look at me and BROKE the mold!
grin.gif

And last but not least, my favorite! "touchy..nice cover up on the anger though..no doubt if we were tippin back a few you'd have swung at me.." - LOL, no instead I'm ROFLMAO...hell, I wouldn't of wasted the energy pilgrim. Plus I wouldn't want to take a chance of damaging my drinkin' hand!!
shocked.gif
HAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
HAAAA HA HA WHOO WHEE....****, eyes watering......OOOH WAH, NEVER..NEVER HURT THE DRINKIN' HAND!
grin.gif
wink.gif

Good thing I'm not from Texas.. or I'd be offended.. there are some texans here though...

Nope never claimed everything is bigger here.. matter of fact our deer as horns go ( width ) are probobly smaller.. but overall quality and size of the deer are maybe better.. we grow heavy horned thick bodied deer..

Name dropping doesn't impress me....so quit it...I know just as many famous people.

I doubt your 3 guys were novices right?? or were they buddies... and if you were guiding them why did you take the shot..?
there is a big difference between having buddies with you and clients... at least for me.. my buddies know the ropes and how to do, and what not to do... clients usually don't
you know it and I know it...

You're out all season long.. hmm tougher that I thought.. get home much??? heck I don't even spend the whole time out and I guide...
out all season long, everyday huh??? Interesting...

The rut in Wyoming is not until Nov. usually mid to late...

always the funny guy... a little insecure are we...trust me though, you fit the mold
grin.gif

Love to meet ya some day....
wink.gif

Ok now I was ROFLMAO
wink.gif
but yall are bringing Texas into it. Yes Texas have some very big bucks but so does other states.

I like both of you guys so let PAPPA settle this now before you boys say something that you might regret. Will sent the two of you out to ALASKA to hunt in unfamiliar area with 2 tenderfoots and an 7yr child thats never hunted before and the one that come back with the largest deer (hope the both of you know the what the largest deer is
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
) is the winner. Oh and you can't use horses or mules only sleddogs
grin.gif
grin.gif

Interesting... I'm guessing Santa would be ****ed....

But hey if your paying for me to go to ALaska ... I'll do it.. deal me in ....

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.