Planning first wolf hunt

backyardsniper

I'm from Ky and I want to plan a wolf hunt. What states do i need to look at or what areas. I will be travelling from Kentucky so it is going to be a pricey trip so I want to try to set myself up for the best chance for success. I would appreciate any info that you guys have to offer

I'm from Ky and I want to plan a wolf hunt. What states do i need to look at or what areas. I will be travelling from Kentucky so it is going to be a pricey trip so I want to try to set myself up for the best chance for success. I would appreciate any info that you guys have to offer
The best odds of success would be at going where the population is the highest so I'd look at Alaska myself.

Time it right and you can make it a mixed bag hunt. The tags are relatively inexpensive for large game there as well.

On top of that if you kill a moose, caribou etc you have a great source of bait to attract them in the carcass and gut pile.

One of the best ways to hunt coyotes for example is to hunt over a dead calf or over a deer kill.

We once hunted hogs and coyotes both quite successfully for a two week period starting with one deer gut pile.

I'd go to British Columbia, Babine Guide Outfitters, trapline hunt. The trapline dramatically increases the odds you'll bring something home, bait sets on frozen lakes give about as good a rifle opportunity as it gets.

They're pretty transparent. Facebook page, and they have been running a thread on Bowsite for a few seasons. Under the Big Game section type wolf trapline, and that should get you started, then just go back to prior years. A few youtube videos involving their hunts are also available.

LLoyd and Jack have been killing 30+ a year for probably a decade. Likely at the upper end price wise, I've hunted goats twice with them, everything is quality.

DIY would be Idaho. Check their site for where the wolves are coming from. Separated into trapping and hunting.

My best advice is to not get your expectations of success up too high, and be happy hunting. The odds are low, many outfitters will say 50/50, but I suspect it is even lower in most areas.

I've been on 4 trips to Canada, each time hoping for a wolf, and never got one.

The best odds are probably with an outfitter that has baits which are put out and maintained for the whole winter. These guys often set up a comfortable cabin/blind to wait from.
It's just a waiting game after that.

My best advice is to not get your expectations of success up too high, and be happy hunting. The odds are low, many outfitters will say 50/50, but I suspect it is even lower in most areas.

I've been on 4 trips to Canada, each time hoping for a wolf, and never got one.

The best odds are probably with an outfitter that has baits which are put out and maintained for the whole winter. These guys often set up a comfortable cabin/blind to wait from.
It's just a waiting game after that.

A pretty solid explanation. I've ate 4 wolf tags, seen wolves on 2 trips, my partner got a shot and missed last time out. Never been on a completely wolf trip, targets of opportunity only.

Thanks guys i have a friend thatblives on kodiak and he has talked me into coming to visit him on this vacation. He can get a bear tag on the road system which is not a very good chance of killing but a fun hunt anyway. I wont be able to shoot but it will be fun to be on the hunt. Plus you can't turn down a trip to alaska for nothing but the pricenof the plane ticket. We may take the ferry over to the mainland and black bear hunt. Which I can get a tag for. Should be a great trip and maybe I can get hooked up with an outfitter for a wolf hunt while Im there. Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate the help. Hopefully we will get lucky and and I'll get to be part ofa ssuccessful kodiak bear hunt and if not I'm pretty sure the beer drinking and bbqing will be very successful

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.