Colorado Hunt Question

Dave in Idaho

Well it looks like my brother drew a combined deer/elk tag in Area 3. Oct 20-28. I will be trying to get over there and be an extra set of eyes. Curious though, what does a "combined" tag mean?
Is it for both elk and deer or is it either an elk or a mule deer? Whichever he shoots first.
Any personal experience from hunting that area would also be great.
Thnx.
Dave

The rule is that unless it is a limeted draw, then you must hunt both deer and elk in the same season. Tags are separate and you must buy both for each species. If you drew for a limeted area or leftover then you can split the species and hunt at different seasons/times. If he drew for both in the same season then thats fine also. Just kill it and grill it!!

Mule

A combined tag just has to do with the season, not the animal. There are four regular rifle seasons here in CO, with the 1st season being a serperate rifle season just for elk, and then the 2nd, 3rd and 4th combined seasons in which both deer and elk are hunted. It is no longer required to hunt both species in the same season, but one still may if they so choose. As for what he can hunt, it depends on what he drew for. If it is a cow tag, that's what he can hunt with it. If it is a buck tag, than just a buck. I also notice that there was a hunt code for a private land only either sex deer in unit 3. Is this what he drew? If so, I hope he knows someone. If you can figure out what his huntcode is, I can tell you more about it. As for experiance in unit 3, never hunted there. Hope I was able to clear things up some, and best of luck to your brother.

Jerry

Sorry for mis-information-- did not know they changes back to the old rules-----**** NY lawwwyerrsssss writing the regs again!!!!!!!

Just about the time I get used to/memorize rules they change them. Still haven't figured out if carrying and firing a weapon in "the Kings forrest" oooppps, National Forest is a felony unless you have a license and it is the "season". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mule

If you are carrying a pistol or shotgun, no problem. Carrying a rifle, needs to be under 6mm during the regular rifle seasons to be okay. If you are carrying anything 6mm or bigger, you'll likely get a ticket. Exception would be if you are doing some target shooting, but you better have the ability to convince the warden that that was all you were doing. I carry my rifles in my truck all fall long, and have yet to have a problem with any of the game wardens around here.

Jerry

metau,
He just sent the hunt code:
DM00302R
He has said that he did not apply for the landowner tag so I don't believe that will be a problem.
Thanx for the help.
Dave

Dave,
Okay, that is just a Mule Deer buck tag. I am waiting to hear from a buddy of mine who knows a little bit more about that area than I do, and will pass on the info to you. If you do go with your brother, think about picking up a left over doe tag. Alot cheaper with better meat, plus it gives you a reason to carry a rifle while you are out there with him. Just a suggestion though. I also thought that I would explain the hunt code system here in CO so that you and others might be able to understand it a little bit easier.

Here is how you break down the codes, using your brothers as an example: DM003O2R
D-Deer (E-elk, M-moose and so on)
M-Male (F-female and E-either sex)
003-Unit # (Self explanitory)
O-Tag type, open (P-private only, E-early, L-late, W-RFW)
2-2nd season (2nd season in the regular seasons)
R-Rifle (Method of take authorized, M-Muzzeloader, A-archery)

I hope this helped some, and once again, best of luck to your brother. I will get you some info as soon as I get it.

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]
If you are carrying a pistol or shotgun, no problem. Carrying a rifle, needs to be under 6mm during the regular rifle seasons to be okay. If you are carrying anything 6mm or bigger, you'll likely get a ticket. Exception would be if you are doing some target shooting, but you better have the ability to convince the warden that that was all you were doing. I carry my rifles in my truck all fall long, and have yet to have a problem with any of the game wardens around here.

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

In Colorado During regular deer and elk season W of I-25 if hunting small mammals or furbearing you can not use anything larger than a centerfire .23 caliber unless hunter has an unfilled deer or elk license for the season they are hunting and you also have to have a small game license. What this law does is stop what is called party shooting if you have 4 hunters one fills his tag that hunter better not be caught in the field with his 30-06 claiming he was just out shooting coyotes even if he had a small game license.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.