That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

338-378,

That was 2 years ago and pre LR for me... since then I hve PD's out to 963 and rained all over one at 1200.
Then this year I was confident to 750 and have a 30'+ ( judging ears and *** )at 800 and never got closer. If I would had a 300 RUm instead of my 308 I think the tag would be filled....

QH,

well I don't have much time for any of them.. most of em preach this and that then go home to the house made of wood and eat like kings....
I can't wait for 338-378 and Boyd to get here gonna keep our fingers crossed in drawing tags....
at the very least we'll have the longest PD kill to try to beat... and maybe a yote of 2.. my one partner Tony is an awesome Coyote caller.. and I'm trying to follow in his footsteps.....

Nobody has time for hypocrites, but if somebody is into saving a few trees for the right reasons...
Seeing all the prime winter ground built up into condos in the Vail valley bothers me every time I go through there. Call me a tree hugger, but this "hell with the deer and elk, we need ski areas" attitude ****es me off.
Not to open a can of worms, but part of the reponsibility of being a hunter is to insure the future of the animals we want to hunt.
I like hearing things like DC spreading corn in the winter or Slymule working with the Mule Deer Foundation. Things like that help you know you are hanging with the right crowd. It aint all about shooting, its hunting, and conservation is a big part of hunting.

Better settle down before you all accuse me of being like my brother - NoisyHunter.

QH

Very well said.

Our local sportsman club has given out 258 tons of corn so far and many of us buy more to drop in our areas for the deer, turkey and elk.

We have done this for 40 years now.
Each member gets 2 100 # bags of corn every Saturday and my wife and I end up with 4 bags. We then buy more at the hardware which is 40 miles away.

The club gives out 30 tons EACH Saturday and next Saturday is the last time for the feeding program.

If you don't feed them here, the herd is cut down in numbers over the winter.

Later
DC
wink.gif

[ 03-13-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

.338/.378 - boyd - wyo - and anyone else i wrote the check out for -
for the amount of the check i thought i was buying stock & bonds along with the licenses.
holy chit boys & girls we are off and running the first stretch. the check is in my bank account i mean mail (no seriously it is, no really). all four deer licenses and all five lope licenses. oh i pity anything in the lr m1 tactical loopy scope or anything that has the eye of 338/378 or boyd behind it. hey 338/378 as we said before there is a reason they have a heads.
are you PUMPED or what !!!??!!!

DC,

We need 50 tons of hay to feed our horse string through the winter. We actually buy 60 -70 tons of hay.. we do this cause the valley we live in is the final destination of the migration. We have anywhere from 20 to 60 deer a day that feed with our horses. During the real bad storms we have Elk that come down to feed too...

I love to hunt, but I feel everyone needs to do what they can to insure the future.....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I can't wait for 338-378 and Boyd to get here gonna keep our fingers crossed in drawing tags....
at the very least we'll have the longest PD kill to try to beat..[/QUOTE].What do you mean...TRY TO BEAT....?????
wink.gif
grin.gif

WyoWhisper,
I think I'm ready for that high country hunt. My .300 RUM is dialed in out to 800 yards and anything out to that distance is just meat in the freezer. I've shot 3 elk and two deer so far with my RUM and if you haven't gotten to shoot anything yet with yours, you'll be impressed - it sure puts them on the ground in a hurry. Actually I've never hunted in Wyoming before and have never put in for one of their drawings either. I've been putting in for Utah for the last 4 years for their Limited Entry Elk cause I know a super good spot not very far from home. So whats the out of state tag for Wyoming deer cost anyway? And will they let you put it on a credit card like you can in Utah?

Braggin' time - I shot my buck last year at a lazered 729 yards with my .300 RUM. One shot and he dropped like somebody hit him in the head with a sledge hammer.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

My elk last year was another one shot kill but a little closer at 621 yards - that Sendero in .300RUM can sure lay them down!

550 yards - man thats a cake walk. My buck was hanging out with two other nice bucks and they all stood out there and looked at me from over 700 yards away thinking they were safe.
grin.gif
I'd like to know what his two buddys had to say to each other once they stopped running when they hit cover.
shocked.gif
I got a feelin' they won't do that again.

QuietHunter,
The area I shot my buck in was an undersubscribed area - you can draw a buck tag every year with no points. Actually I think theres quite a few good areas to hunt in around the state that has some really nice bucks in it that don't take any points to draw at all. It just takes some looking and getting off the beaten path a little ways. Regarding the Governor's Tag - what do you expect when you put forth a whole two days effort into hunting a trophy buck.
rolleyes.gif

HAHAHAAAA - ROFLMAO - QuietHunter, you've got a brother that goes by NoisyHunter? LOL, I love it - thats classic!

Sly, please don't tell me you killed that buck in unit 60. Went there for the first time this year. Saw small bucks, does and a bull elk, but certainly nothing like that.

Just don't tell anyone about the Governers tag mulie shot this year
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
confused.gif

The first time I was called a "greenie" was by a friend from Wyoming. I think it is pretty much a Wyoming term.
No need to start a border war, and if somebody wants to say something about the color of my license plate, I guess they are pretty much reaching to find a flaw
tongue.gif

[ 03-13-2003: Message edited by: QuietHunter ]

QuietHunter, nope it wasn't unit 60. I'll give you a hint - "there's gold in them hills boys, and one day someones gonna hit the 'Mother Lode'" - now think CWD and that will get ya' fairly close, especially if you stay outside of a 5 mile perimeter.
wink.gif
If you need further hints you'd better email me in person.

hey, I heard that "greenie" term used once or twice, up in the Northern parts of this state, too. Been a while though. Herd that Pres. Roosevelt's record cougar was broke by someone. Can't remember if it was in Colorado or Wyoming. Had a couple of 'em track me while huntin mulie's in the hills. Think they are purty curious. The one followed me for over a quarter of a mile. Was that record broke by just an 1/8?

Sly,
I think I have it figured out. Have hunted other critters in the area, but never deer or elk. I know there are some nice ones there, but had figured it to be over hunted recently.

QuietHunter,
If you'll remember right after the deadline date for turning in applications the DOW announced their finding then a couple of weeks later had their big roundup and incineration party. I was part of that for 3 days helping out and we killed 1200 and some deer and like 300 some elk for testing. Since it was too late for changing where I had put in to hunt I went ahead and stayed with the area. Needless to say it worked out alright but I had my doubts for awhile, especially since we killed off alot of deer that lived in the vicinity. Half of those deer were bucks and since they didn't have horns at that time of the year who knows how many of them were big mature bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts