That time of year again - Colorado hunt planning

hey tex-
no doubt about it mules can take you where you want to go and like i said in my first post, i have worked with mules before. i am not opposed to them.
you know and i know this isnt between you and i and in fact i am not in the middle of it but... just trying to point out some points.
in ref. to your gunsmoke comment - HI OLE' SILVER. just tv cant say i believe everything.

Quite Hunter

I'm not an "athority" on the horse, mule thing at all.
I am just enjoying the jabbing going back and forth concerning them by you guys.

I have not been in a saddle near as much as you fellows. Have packed out elk with horses and mules and pulled a bear out with a mule.
That mule didn't like that bear back there, I can tell you. That's about it for me and my horsemanship.

I enjoy hearing about all of you fellows experiance's in the mountains, on your animals.

later
DC
smile.gif

[ 03-10-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Slymule: From what I saw when I visited Ric, (WyoWhisper) I would say that what he does for a living is: Ranching, wrangling, plumbing, babysitting, walking, teaching, psychology, shooting, cleaning, problem solving, driving, feeding, (People and animals) and a whole lot more...AKA, He runs a guest ranch!

As to the horse VS mule thing? I'm preferable to horses, but I've never ridden a mule, so I guee my vote doesn't count. A friend of mine has a couple of show-jumpers, though, which I occasionally care for and get to take out every once in a while.
grin.gif

QuietHunter,
If you'll stop insulting my mule by calling her a "freak of nature" and insulting me by calling me "slowmule", I'll promise not to push you off a cliff when we go riding. Otherwise, you might want to ride behind me a ways - you never know a guy my age could go into a seizure and I might accidently push you off a rim or something.
rolleyes.gif

Texas,
Nope, I'm not the Marshall out of Dodge City, but I've got kin there. And if I had to ride a mule as ugly as the one Festus rode, why I'd probably still be riding a horse. The difference between Jolene and the mule Festus rode is probably as close as the resemblance between QuietHunter and the Marlboro man - ie. NOT CLOSE AT ALL !!
tongue.gif

I can see your a man of high intelligence just because of who your wanting to put your money on. And to answer your question, no my wife doesn't get jealous of Jolene during hunting season because she's right out there hunting with me. Hunting is a family thing so when I go so does the wife and our two boys ages 4 and 6. When we pulled up camp last year we had over 2 foot of snow on the ground at camp. The snow was waist deep to them boys and they were having a blast!

hunt724,
Your right we should probably both be beat with a horse whip....but nothing like a friendly little wager to bring out the testosterone in us guys!
grin.gif

Elwood,
Since your preference is to horses, your right....your vote doesn't count, especially since you've never rode a good mule. GET BACK ELWOOD, GET BACK!!!
wink.gif
grin.gif

Hmmm

well, I gotta stop it here.. i re-read the posts.. i may have started this.. but it was only a friendly comments to get a chuckle from Slymule.. but he took it personal.. then it evolved into a challenge .. which I enjoy....
I figure Slymule to be about 33 yrs old.. he said he's going into the law enforcement academy he has to be under 35.. Well thats my background,ex job.. been there done that... if he makes it through.. he won't have much time to be making such wild *** bets or wagers... but he's young like me so pride gets in the way.

so lets get to the point....

this started out as talking about the hills and mountains so I will be the first ( or maybe just the one with the biggests nuts )
I refuse to do all the play **** with the horses and mules.. it doesn't prove how good they are in the hills... if this is gonna be a bet on Asses and horses lets keep it where it counts .. in line with hunting and gettin us to hunting areas..
Slymule.. good attempt at tipping the tables in your favor.. but I gotta tell you polocross ain't got nothing to do with hunting on a mule.. sure your Mule may be adgile and fast but you yourself said you don't like anything fast while hunting...

you said you use animals to pack into the mountains well you pack your mules ( see plural ) and I'll pack my horses and we'll go up a hill and add some distance... after all thats what you do while hunting right.. we'll make sure there is a creek or two so you can jump it.. ( which any good horseman knows is just asking for a wreck )but you pride yourself that your mules can jump.. well my ponies can jump too...

keep it real and to do with hunting on an animal and I'll take your bet....

One condition.. it has to be after my seasons... Guest Ranch and Guiding..

I see that your a stay at home parent ( I admire that, kids are our future ) and you may be a law enforcemnt officer after the acadamy..( I respect that .. I did it ) so YOU HAVE ALOT OF TIME NOW.... well I don't, and it ****ed me off to see you used that as me backing out.. but I am over it...

When I have the time.. we'll pick a place...

Elwood knows as do many others .. I'm busy from now to Nov.
See 724 said it best and I have to thank him.. when it gets right down to it... if it wern't for horses.. you ain't got a ride ..

remember this is a friendly thing now.. sense of humor is a good thing....

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

My apoligies Mr. Mule. I really meant "Freak of Nature" as a sort of compliment, but I can see how you might not have taken it that way. Just with all of the bragging you have been doing I really thought Jolene must be a very exceptional mule - maybe one with more horse genes than ***.
Freudian slip on my part on typing in your name incorrectly. I was just thinking about how you like to ride slow in the mountains.

Off Topic, but if you want to see an impressive freak of nature, go to the Mini Warrior Classic this weekend and watch my nephew wrestle. Never seen an 8 year old as powerful and athletic as he is.

Come on guys nobodys gettin' bent out of shape here - at least I'm not and hopefully you aren't either. ****, I don't even care if we have a bet or not. I figure my mules don't have anything to prove and as far as I'm concerned they only have to please me as I'm the one feeding them.

**All this has been as far as I'm concerned is having a little fun with you boys and giving you a ribbing, then acting like I've been insulted so I'd have an excuse to issue a little challenge to the both of you. I just wanted to see if you'd go to backpeddling your way out of it or not.**
grin.gif

Lighten up guys - lifes too short to get bent out of shape.
tongue.gif

WyoWhisper,
Bad guess on your part, wish I was still 33-35yrs. old. This summer while I'm in the academy I'll turn 49
shocked.gif
, bummer huh? Spent the last 6 years being a stay at home dad and before that the last 20 years in the gas and oil field. Well the boys are starting school so its time for me to get back to work and I wanted to do something completely different in the way of work. So my big plan is put myself thru the police academy then try and get on with the Sheriffs' department. I've spent the last month and a half working out and running so those young guys in the academy don't make me look so bad. ****, I'm **** near a hardbody again! AND I FEEL GOOD!!!

And besides getting ready to start in the academy, we've got the place on the market trying to sell it so we can buy more land and I can act as a general contractor and build another place - my wife seems to think I've got alot of spare time on my hands.
frown.gif

In all reality I don't have alot of time on my hands either, although I would really like to win a new action!
grin.gif

We might just have to figure out something else.........like......since my feelings have been hurt.........WyoWhisper lets me come out next year and shoot a 30" buck from his back porch.
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well.. not exactly from the back porch but very close only about a 15 min ride/hike...anyone welcome!!

I do have several LR deer spots within.. 15 min. to only 1.5 hour ride...

I always new the greenies wanted to hunt in Wyo.. now this proves it....
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

remember . just a joke....

Of course we want to come to Wyoming. Seems like we have done to good a job hunting down here and now need to go up to Wyoming where you still have plenty of critters - although many of them are gun shy from all those residents missing. I figure we need to come up there and show you how its done!

"15 min. to only 1.5 hour ride..."
15 minute ride on Dusty, 1.5 hour ride on an average mule, 15 minute ride on the "amazing" Jolene?
Remember, just a joke...

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Well in all honesty, Your right, 15 min ride for Dusty.. I was giving everyone else time to blow, water, rest, blow, rest ... and then walk... I figured since I'd get there early I have the hand warming fire going and a pot of coffee on...

truth of the matter is.. Colo. got greedy and let anyone buy a tag.. most of the "good" hunting is on private land....
truth?? umm most likely right???

"although many of them are gun shy from all those residents missing"

exactly why I have do do it from long range ....
grin.gif

Awww boys, bring them critters up here! We got us a couple of little "runs" up here that just might settle this argument! They go about 125 miles non-stop, winner take all. And since I have growed up on horse ranches, me whole durn life, i reckon i can be a little bit of a judge. Just one of them little ol' ranch's had over 500 head. Thouro-bred racing stock. Some purty good ones, too. The cheapest oldest mare on the place was insured for just 10,000 smakers, on accuont that she was so durn old. When folks get together and talk about horse flesh, it kind of brings a twinkle to my eyes. Yea, they been around a few head, but i been around a few thousand. Me 'ol pa was a jockey in some of them dern Kaly-forn-ia race tracks, and i grew up helping him break them lovely animals. Best time in my life. Thats the thing with this durn internet, you don't know who might be reading what cha wrote! Funny thing though, there is a couple of little gals that seem to do all the winning of them races. And ol slymule will like this part, they mosly use mules! HA HA! No harm done, and i kinda like this thread. Have a brother in Idaho that raises mules too. yea, thats right, he don't have no sense either! Hope this gets you guys'es blood to boilin, like i said, its a good thread! littletoes.

Wyo, there is some truth to what you say.
The best hunting is in any area with good habitat and where access is regulated. Some areas access is regulated because of private land, but most are regulated because they are limited draw areas or just plain hard to get to.
We have horses so we can hunt every year on public land in places 95 percent of the people won't go into, or have the sense not to kill something when they do get in there.
To have the best odds of killing a real trophy bull, it takes a lot of preference points (the reason this thread started) so you can get into a trophy area.
A 300 plus class bull can absolutely be killed in other areas, but the odds are not as high.
Personally I like the idea of hunting every year, having the chance to kill a raghorn without too much effort, and having the opportunity to kill a trophy if I work at it. Bottom line is hunting every year for me.
I do wish Colorado closed off a few more areas to make them a bit better for trophies To support your claim, I will be going to Wyoming this fall to kill an antelope. Cannot even reliably draw a doe antelope tag in Colorado each year.
Maybe elk in Co are like antelope on Wyo.

Me personally I just play love songs on the cow call for the rag horns.. to tell the truth I have called in more Bulls and let them walk than most sane men would have. I just like the challenge of beating them on their turf..
One of these days I'll find the right bull. I called in a 360+ class bull for my buddy Chip this year... one more 1/2 step and he was ours.... at only 30 or so feet...
then we arrowed a 300 -320 class bull but 'ole griz got that one....
the thrill for me is getting them within 30 yards... thats the rush...

Where ya hunting speed goats in Wyo???

Rumor has it there are a couple of flatlanders from this board joining me and my guide partners here in Wyo...for speed goats and desert mulies
I figured they do so much braggin about whitetail this and whitetail that.. I'd show them what this l o n g r a n g e stuff is really about...
I'm gonna make them dig 4" sleeping beds and cover it with the campfire coals and get them up and 3:30 a.m. just cause I can. Then make 'em hump 50 lbs of equipment 10 miles through the deserts of Wyo.. only to tell them .. we were walking in the wrong direction... and were gonna have to spend the night on the flats with the Yotes and snakes... then if I can remember, we might get back to camp in 2 days... But I think I would be able to remember better if one of them would give me one of there rifles to have.. that would make me think so much better.... and faster.... a man can think faster holding a custom super dooper LR rifle...

Do you think I should tell them that there are really BIG cats in Wyo......

here kitty kitty kitty...
shocked.gif
grin.gif

just kidding boys..

the wolves will get ya long before the BIG cats....

wooooo hoo were gonna have fun.....
grin.gif

Going to area 5 for speed goats. Have a friend of a friend who has a ranch up in the foothills of the Black Hills. They have a nice place with elk, mulies, whitetails and speed goats.
I am just getting a doe tag (sent app today) so I can get some good meat, burn some powder and have some fun. It should be a killing hunt, but new areas and new friends are always fun. I should be setup to kill at 800 by then too, but we will see how practice goes.

I would not tell them about the big mountain kitties that have been know to track a man, or those griz that like white meat with camo and orange frosting. If they see one, just tell them that is "purring" they hear. And if you are guiding them and have a liability waiver, be sure to have a "Dangerous animal" clause that includes mules and llamas. Put that right after the small print about Wyoming soil being rich in rare nutrients that causes antlers to shrink when the critter hits the ground
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.