Thanks, you guys messed things all up.

Don't know if you have looked into it, but you could always go with a XP100 pistol in a rifle caliber. Matter of fact you could use a 16" or 18" barrel in any caliber. I met a guy on here that has a pistol in 338 Lapua. Any ways, Norma offers brass for 7mmRem. It's good brass.

Don't know if you have looked into it, but you could always go with a XP100 pistol in a rifle caliber. Matter of fact you could use a 16" or 18" barrel in any caliber. I met a guy on here that has a pistol in 338 Lapua. Any ways, Norma offers brass for 7mmRem. It's good brass.

Liltank hi and yes I am aware of the xp100' but that is another big $$$$ adventure I am not sure I want to explore. Ernie here is one huge name in pistol shooting and he can keep up with rifle shooters pretty easy. Dude is amazing! I have my TC encores but they are in calibers that are pretty much a 200 yard round. Pistol cals. One is a 445 supermag the other is 41 GNR#2 which is a 445supermag necked down to 41 cal. I love these. I will add a 708 in the near future to extend my range a good bit and will have a 17" MGM barrel with holland QD break. Should take care of deer up to 500 yards if I wish.

some much fun and so little cash:D

So you want to do long range hunting and like handguns?

How about a Striker or XP?

Say a 300 WSM in a 17"Striker.

Just trying to help.

Larry
Tinkerer

Liltank hi and yes I am aware of the xp100' but that is another big $$$$ adventure I am not sure I want to explore. Ernie here is one huge name in pistol shooting and he can keep up with rifle shooters pretty easy. Dude is amazing! I have my TC encores but they are in calibers that are pretty much a 200 yard round. Pistol cals. One is a 445 supermag the other is 41 GNR#2 which is a 445supermag necked down to 41 cal. I love these. I will add a 708 in the near future to extend my range a good bit and will have a 17" MGM barrel with holland QD break. Should take care of deer up to 500 yards if I wish.

some much fun and so little cash:D
Consider a .260 instead. Same case, better ballistics.

Huntington sells RWS brass in 7 Rem Mag. Many consider it the best brass as good or better than Lapua.

http://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=17349&cat=275&page=2

As for a program here is a free one. Takes some time to learn the inputs. JBM's program has worked for me. Also very useful in comparing potential bullets. For instance the 168 Berger and 180 Berger have almost identical wind drift. 168 shoots slightly flatter and 180 retains a bit more energy.

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Elevation input will drive you nuts till you realize that you need to input the actual pressures:

Barometric pressure adjustments
elevation pressure
500 29.27
1000 28.78
1500 28.29
2000 27.80
2500 27.32
2550 27.07
3000 26.82
3500 26.33
4000 25.84
4500 25.37
5000 24.90
5500 24.43
6500 23.57
7500 22.71
8000 22.23
9000 21.27
9500 20.79
10,000 20.31

Huntington sells RWS brass in 7 Rem Mag. Many consider it the best brass as good or better than Lapua.

Huntington Die Specialties :: Cases :: RWS Cases :: 7mm Rem. Mag | RWS

As for a program here is a free one. Takes some time to learn the inputs. JBM's program has worked for me. Also very useful in comparing potential bullets. For instance the 168 Berger and 180 Berger have almost identical wind drift. 168 shoots slightly flatter and 180 retains a bit more energy.

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Elevation input will drive you nuts till you realize that you need to input the actual pressures:

Barometric pressure adjustments
elevation pressure
500 29.27
1000 28.78
1500 28.29
2000 27.80
2500 27.32
2550 27.07
3000 26.82
3500 26.33
4000 25.84
4500 25.37
5000 24.90
5500 24.43
6500 23.57
7500 22.71
8000 22.23
9000 21.27
9500 20.79
10,000 20.31
OMG. Really. I may have bit off more than I can chew. And I just learned about this corialis or whatever affect. Freakin earth spinning. Really really REALLY!!!!! I may just punt. I dont know what all this stuff is. Should just sell my sendero and just crossbow hunt. At least I dont have to worry about FREAKIN EARTH SPINNING AND IF I AM SHOOTING NORTH SOUTH OR EAST WEST. OMG

crap. I am lost

Remember K. I. S. S. Start slow and work up to it. Coreollis is not that difficult. Just use basic numbers to start and grow in to it. Use the ballistic app, or shooter app. Shooter is easier to use. Make sure you know your velocity or with in 10-20fps of it. Practice, practice, practice. Coreollis can be worked in to your data with one of the program's you choose.

Remember K. I. S. S. Start slow and work up to it. Coreollis is not that difficult. Just use basic numbers to start and grow in to it. Use the ballistic app, or shooter app. Shooter is easier to use. Make sure you know your velocity or with in 10-20fps of it. Practice, practice, practice. Coreollis can be worked in to your data with one of the program's you choose.

thanks. I think I just am doing way too much research and its mind boggling. At least I know I want a scope this is MOA.

I will try to keep positive but its difficult right now with so much info out there.

OMG. Really. I may have bit off more than I can chew. And I just learned about this corialis or whatever affect. Freakin earth spinning. Really really REALLY!!!!! I may just punt. I dont know what all this stuff is. Should just sell my sendero and just crossbow hunt. At least I dont have to worry about FREAKIN EARTH SPINNING AND IF I AM SHOOTING NORTH SOUTH OR EAST WEST. OMG

crap. I am lost
Till you start shooting at over 800yds don't worry about it.

to be honest I would be jumping for joy if I was able to take a deer cleanly at 500 yards. I can't even fathom that right now.

My head hurts
Just think of it as a ladder. You are at the bottom rung and haven't even yet started the climb to the top.

When the weather clears up enough get out and start shooting. Once you are sighted in and can get a cold bore hit on the bull consistently at 100 or 200yds, (whichever you use for zero) start moving on out by setting up targets at 300-400. When you can consistently get a cold bore hit at those ranges you're ready for more.

One rung at a time you will work your way up. If you try to start at the top of the ladder you are almost certain to end up disappointed.

Till then just focus on putting your rig together and working up some preliminary shooting data so you have a place to get started.

If you can find someone locally to help you out that knows what they are doing it can save you a tremendous amount of time and money. Most likely if you can't find someone local you can network yourself into finding some guys here at this site within reasonable driving distance who will be happy to have you come out and shoot with them.

Having an/some experienced shooter(s) to help you get started is invaluable especially at the cost of ammo and components, not to mention limited supplies of same.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.